General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

sleeping in Utility Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:41 AM
sleeping in Utility Mode

Let's say you are in Utility mode (rear seats folded forward) and you are lying flat on your back with your head at the rear of the car and your feet stretched all the way out.

What is the tallest you can be to sleep in the fit without your feet touching the front seats? I'm 5'6" - would it be possible to lay flat inside the fit or would I need a bigger car.

Anyone done this? As crazy as it sounds, I need the smallest car I can sleep flat in.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
I work grave yard and my co-worker sleeps in my car with the seats in utility mode durring his lunch break. I have a rear strut bar, so he has to sleeps with about half the space. His feet at one side of the car and his head at the other side. I believe my co-worker is about 5'6" or so, but he doesn't sleep all stretched out.

hope this helps a little.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:51 AM
i've slept in my car in utility mode before, cant really lay fully flat because your legs will touch the front seats. usually i would lay on the side with my legs curled up and that works for me and im 5'6" too

Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by rishio
Let's say you are in Utility mode (rear seats folded forward) and you are lying flat on your back with your head at the rear of the car and your feet stretched all the way out.

What is the tallest you can be to sleep in the fit without your feet touching the front seats? I'm 5'6" - would it be possible to lay flat inside the fit or would I need a bigger car.

Anyone done this? As crazy as it sounds, I need the smallest car I can sleep flat in.

Why so crazy, I'm doing a lot of cross country road trips and early mornings each and every rest area (those off interstates) in US is full of cars of any size with people sleeping in overnight... unfortunately I have not tested my Fit for the Sleeping mode yet, but for the first occasion possible I surely will, why not
Chris

Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one who wants the ability to sleep comfortably in the car on road/camping trips or at any time in general when I want to. I just didn't want to get responses like "it's illegal" or "it's dangerous" or "a car is for driving and a home is for sleeping."

Originally Posted by CB19
Why so crazy, I'm doing a lot of cross country road trips and early mornings each and every rest area (those off interstates) in US is full of cars of any size with people sleeping in overnight... unfortunately I have not tested my Fit for the Sleeping mode yet, but for the first occasion possible I surely will, why not
Chris

Old 04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one who wants the ability to sleep comfortably in the car on road/camping trips or at any time in general when I want to. I just didn't want to get responses like "it's illegal" or "it's dangerous" or "a car is for driving and a home is for sleeping."
Never from me my friend
As long as you really fit comfortably, why not, who's out there to tell you how to enjoy your own vacation/camping/road trip... unless somebody lives in Hollywood and considers people like you and I pretty degrading for their lifestyles
Enjoy it
Chris

Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Sleeping in refresh mode is a pain in the ass.. with the seats contour like a rolling hill, you are bound to hurt your back. I tried sleeping while on a road trip and couldn't get comfortable. What you would need is a large pillow or a sleeping bag to fill in the gaps to make the contour flatter. I wish the back rear seats could fall backwards further so then it would be more realistic to sleep in.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:41 PM
How about an air matress??? When we had our Element, I could fit a queen size air matress on the floor( after you took the back seats out) and slept well, but there was no room for all of my gear. So I made a bed platform out of 1 1/2 PVC to the dimensions of the inside, and then my bed was able to sit up off of the floor about 14" and also allowed me to store coolers, and gear under the bed!!! Not saying this will work on the Fit, but at least a good quality air matress in a Twin size would fit and fill the gaps for a nice, level sleeping surface!

Old 04-22-2007, 05:34 PM
I read this thread in the element forum. Very nice.

I'm in the market for a new car (my geo metro is on it's last days...) under 20k with good gas mileage and the Honda Fit and 2008 Scion XB are the only ones I'm interested in so far. So far it looks like the 2008 xb will be the vehicle I choose simply because the seats fold flat and I was able to lay flat on my back in it. I really like the Honda Fit but it doesn't look like it will fit my needs.

Originally Posted by gn-it&rn-it
How about an air matress??? When we had our Element, I could fit a queen size air matress on the floor( after you took the back seats out) and slept well, but there was no room for all of my gear. So I made a bed platform out of 1 1/2 PVC to the dimensions of the inside, and then my bed was able to sit up off of the floor about 14" and also allowed me to store coolers, and gear under the bed!!! Not saying this will work on the Fit, but at least a good quality air matress in a Twin size would fit and fill the gaps for a nice, level sleeping surface!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
My b/f and I slept in our fit on a trip a little after we bought it. Sleepability was a key thing for us. We tried with the rear seats down (is this utility mode?) and we found it a bit squashed. He's 6', I'm 5'9". What we are going to try next time is put both fronts seats in long mode and I am going to make a foam bit to put in the back to raise it up to the height of the seats (mix of higher density foam on the bottom with lower density foam on the top covered in dacron before being covered). I am hoping to head out east (soon?) and if I make the insert I'll take pics and let you know how it works out.

The only thing I miss about my old '91 Chevy Lumina APV was that without the seats it *easily* slept two. However, the *many* problems make me miss it somewhat less.

Gawd, if only they sold the Vamos here... But given that they don't, and given that any van big enough is basically a massive SUV with sliding doors, I think the Fit is the best option. Just needs a wee extra, ya know.

Digi

Old 04-23-2007, 08:28 AM
I want to find a mattress that will fit the Fit. but I am 5'10" and I can sleep in the FIT with np

Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
I slept in the fit in utility mode once before my strut bar was installed. I am 5'6" as well and I had plenty of room if I folded the front seats up as far as they go and stuffed the footwell with an extra blanket and had my head on a pillow on the back of the driver seat. It was actually pretty comfortable and the rear cup holders in the rear doors are at the perfect spot for my phone and a cool drink