General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
engine noise

hello friends:

I hearing a little noise after i start the engine, is not the normal engine noise,this is kind of metallic noise like two pieces does not fit well,
and it stops when i press the clutch pedal to the bottom.

When im driving i do not hear any other noise, i drive with no problems

have you had problems like this ?

Regards

Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
if it goes away after you press in the clutch it might be clutch vibrations.....did you properly break in the clutch? if anything you should be able to take it into the dealer and have them look at it since it should be covered under warranty if its defective.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
actually, i can fell the clutch pedal having little vibration all the time, is not a great vibration, but it can fell like "crazy antz" vibrations in my toe.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
valve adjustment. Manual says adjust them if they are noisy.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
Valve noise doesn't stop when you press on the clutch...

My old '85 Chevy Sprint did the same thing -- it had a noisy when the clutch was up. Presumably because it is engaged! (Even if in nuetral) Cause for worry? I don't know. My Mighty 3-cylinder Sprint turned in 45+ mpg and went 210K miles before I gave that rotting heap of junk away! Beyond clutch plate changes during 210K miles, the noise didn't seem to cause any problems.

Last edited by xorbe; 05-08-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by jbolanos
hello friends:

I hearing a little noise after i start the engine, is not the normal engine noise,this is kind of metallic noise like two pieces does not fit well,
and it stops when i press the clutch pedal to the bottom.

When im driving i do not hear any other noise, i drive with no problems

have you had problems like this ?

Regards
The only time I have heard that kind of noises is on my cars that have racing clutches installed and clatter noise is expected. If you have a stock clutch in your Jazz then take it to the dealer because something is probably wrong.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
@claymore - Yes that's what my Dad said at the time -- throwout bearing. Now I remember!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
ditto on the throw bearing...

it's cheap to replace.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I heard a high-pitched whining sound coming from my engine when the car was off. Any ideas what that was?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
HAHA! no, I heard it when I opened the hood, it was so quiet I could hardly hear it when I closed the hood, but it was distinctly there. Kind of like the high-pitched squeal a computer monitor or tv makes when you turn it on

Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
its all the drive by wire stuff and electronics under the hood shutting down.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
My fit is a GD1 2002, has 96,000 kilometers. i think is all related with the clutch system

Old 05-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Its the Throw Out Bearing. Theres a little bit of play where the bearing touches the clutch pressure plate. When you push the clutch down the play is gone because of the pressure. Making the noise go away.

Its not that big of a problem. Pushing the clutch in when coming to stops (from higher speeds) can prematurely wear out the TOB. So can resting your foot on the clutch pedal.

TOB are suppose to outlast the clutch. If youre going to go through the trouble of changing the TOB change the clutch while the transmission is out.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Finally i sent the car to the workshop, the car is still on waranty on engine and transmission , and the people said they had to download the the transmission to check exactly whats the problem, surely there is some trouble with bearings and so, and when the box is down, they need to change the clutch kit. they are trying to check if have on stock the required parts, before open the box, to get no surprises with missing parts, because can be possible some other parts inside are not so good.

they will send me the budget after checking on the stock.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
hello friends,

good news: yesterday i received my car fixed, they replaced the clutch kit, and there is no noise anymore, actually the car is very quiet, also the clutch is very soft, is a completely new sensation.

but... there is always a but...
when the car is on 1st or 2nd mostly sometimes when im pressing the acelerator pedal, i feel a push or two, like when you release quick the clutch pedal, but i have not the foot on the pedal when it happens.

may the clutch needs some adjusts ? if so, can i do it by myself or i need to send the car to the workshop again ?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
you will not belive this..

yesterday i went for a test drive after the repairs. i wasnt sure if the "push" i file sometimes was linked to the cluth repair, well, i drove like 20 kilometers and the "push" sometimes appears when the RPM were by 3,000
and suddenly my engine stops. i was very concerned about this. any alarm indicator was activated on my dash. well. l left the engine to rest for ten minutes and then I started the engine again. worked fine but still the problem with the enigne going weird and "pushing" felling.
today moring i checked the oil and levels of liquids, and i noticed the air filter system wasnt very adjusted, in fact the screw in the metal belt used to tight the end of the air filter with the mounting system on the engine wasnt there. i think this was creating the problem. i went to the workshop and they adjusted the air filter system this time.

i will drive for a test this afternoon to check if there is no more problems.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Engine "whining"

Hi guys... I noticed yesterday when I drove my Fit for the 3rd time that there is a whining noise coming from my engine, that goes away when the clutch goes in. Also, there is a bit of vibration on my brake pedal too.

Could a throwout bearing or anything else go bad with only 91 total miles on the car? I mean, I was a little rough on shifting the car at first, but I don't think what little bit of mistakes I made would cause damage already. I've only driven it 3 times.

When I am stopped at a light, or anywhere where I'm going to sit a minute, I engage neutral and let off the clutch.

I will give it a couple days or so and see if that sound goes away, but I have a feeling it's not going to. It really sucks too, because I did EXCELLENT on my shifting yesterday when I drove it, so I was so excited, but then my husband said, "Why is the engine making that noise?" argh

Talk about ruining the excitement!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
everytime i let my engine run, i hear this small clicking noise

Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
hello Kentucky

i noticed the sound when i started the engine at house (with no noise at all) its absolutely a different noise from the engine, and goes away when you push the clutch pedal. if the problem is the clutch, (as was mine) this sound will be raising on decibels, so pay attention. in my case the kit was needed to be changed because of near 100,000 km

I changed a bearing and the clutch kit.

about the vibration on the brake pedal is because the ABS system