3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Clutch noise in neutral at a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 03:34 PM
GBR
Clutch noise in neutral at a stop?

2015 mt 1,100 miles. Just noticed at a stop in neutral there is a slight rattle that goes away when the clutch is depressed. Seems odd as I would expect clutches to rattle when the pedal is down. Noise can go away if you work the clutch a bit, haven't played with it that much though. Everything works fine. Noise is about as loud as the motor ie you can't hear it with the radio on even a bit.
Thanks
G

Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Mine does that too. I had a 94 integra gsr back in the day, and it turned out to be the throw out bearing in the clutch. Same thing, weird noise that goes away with clutch pressed in. Never gave me any problems and nothing a little music cant fix

Old 06-02-2015, 02:32 AM
sounds like the throw out bearing to me. Reason it doesn't make noise when the clutch is depressed, because that's the only time you're putting a side load on the clutch fork/bearing. Pressing on it = silent.
When the clutch is engaged or in neutral, there is no load on the bearing, and it rattles around. I would definitely take it in and have it looked at, because throw out bearings can fail and are a wearable item. If it does fail, its a full clutch job to replace (and my bet is not covered, because its normally replaced with the clutch, considered a wear item).

Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM
I think I have the same sound but not sure, hard to hear over the classical music I'm playing.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 PM
GBR
Thanks, I'll bring it in and report back. I'd hate to get hosed on a wear item denial.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM
GBR
Brought it in, dealer checked it out. They guessed something didn't get enough grease at assembly. Said to see if it gets worse and take another look at first oil change. It is in the system. Hopefully if there is early clutch mortality it would be covered as it is documented.
Cheers

Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by GBR
They guessed something didn't get enough grease at assembly.
If that's their guess, did they offer to grease it? Or were they convinced it wasn't anything serious and it could wait?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:18 AM
GBR
Said wait, if it continues they will grease it. If you get mechanically paranoid you can wonder if it is creating extra wear. Life is too short I try not to do that. Useful as they are car forums don't help with decreasing mechanical paranoia.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by GBR
car forums don't help with decreasing mechanical paranoia.
You aren't kidding.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by GBR
Said wait, if it continues they will grease it. If you get mechanically paranoid you can wonder if it is creating extra wear. Life is too short I try not to do that. Useful as they are car forums don't help with decreasing mechanical paranoia.
Throwout bearings are generally sealed and cannot be greased, so they're telling you a bit of a fib.

The real reason they don't want to do it is because it is several hours labor to get to the bearing. They're hoping some grease will move around inside the sealed bearing and quiet it down, at least until you're past the warranty.

If it doesn't quiet down fairly soon you'd be well advised to take it back and press the issue. You don't want it failing at 60K miles when it is on your dime.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:00 AM
I also experienced same noise and had repair completed.
2015 EX 6spd 660 miles noise was when clutch pedal was out, car in neutral or in gear. noise went away when clutch was depressed.

If noise is present when clutch is depressed it is a throw out bearing problem. (input shaft to transmission does not turn when clutch is depressed)
If noise is present when clutch is out it is transmission or pilot bearing problem. (input shaft turning, any bearing problem on input shaft would make noise)

My car made noise at 600 miles. I took it to dealer and I was told it was normal. I did not agree so I went to another dealer and test drove new fit, no noise. you must follow procedure below to get Honda to address problem.

1. call the Honda directly and log issue, they will assign a case number. they will tell you to take car to dealership and have mechanic diagnose problem. this is the tricky part, finding a mechanic that is good and can find the issue.
2. If the dealer says there is not a problem call Honda back and tell them you think there is still and issue and you would like to drive another fit to see is noise is normal.
3. The problem is the dealer has to acknowledge that there is a problem otherwise Honda will not work on the car.
4. once you get them to acknowledge problem Honda will set up appointment for you to bring car in and have it fixed.

May car was in the shop for three days ( they gave me a loaner car) they removed the transmission and replace a total of 6 bearing. they also replaced throwout bearing and pilot bearing just to be on the safe side. the bearings in the transmission were all related to input shaft and counter shaft.

I picked up car and the difference was night and day, no noise. the car now has 4700 miles and I have not had any problems with the work that the dealership did. I would have preferred to have Honda replace entire transmission with new but that was not the case. Not what I expected for a new Honda, but every thing seems fine now. I will just keep driving on

Good luck

Old 06-07-2015, 04:21 PM
GBR
Thanks. I'll call Honda tomorrow and start the process. Dealer admitted to hearing it so hopefully straightforward getting it fixed.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Throwout bearings are generally sealed and cannot be greased, so they're telling you a bit of a fib.

The real reason they don't want to do it is because it is several hours labor to get to the bearing. They're hoping some grease will move around inside the sealed bearing and quiet it down, at least until you're past the warranty.

If it doesn't quiet down fairly soon you'd be well advised to take it back and press the issue. You don't want it failing at 60K miles when it is on your dime.

Got that right. My daughter's KIA had clutch problems, and kept repeating...at our expense. Finally, a Kia mechanic told me they knew the throw-out bearings were bad at the factory, but rather than replace the defective ones, Kia said to deny any problems, and drag them out till the warranties expired. Just hope Honda doesn't have the same attitude.