3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)

Old 09-18-2016, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant with Video)

This is a question for all the GK people with the 6 Spd MTX. Does your Fit emit a slight audiable clicking/popping noise from the left side of the footwell near the clutch pedal area when you are releasing the clutch while in 1st gear from a stand still?

I've noticed a faint intermittent click at around 3500 miles that I initially thought it was part of the movent from clutch pedal/spring assembly. But around 5500, the clicking noise has become more noticible and frequent. It is really noticible on mine particuarly when the car is on an incline from an initial roll while the clutch is being released after driving the car around for a while and the parts are warmer. I occasionally hear it in 2nd ger, but nothing from 3rd-6th as the engine noise drowns out everything in the cabin. I do not feel any vibrations throught the clutch pedal that I can tell. Try it out with the windows up and the stereo off and listen for the audiable click and let me know what you think.

1st time around, I brought the vehicle to Norm Reeves in Irvine a few weeks ago and described this issue to them where they diagnosed that a noise was coming from within the bell housing. Needless to say, my new transmission was removed and the pressure plate, friction disc, and throwout bearing was replaced. However, when I got the car back, the clicking persist. Back to the dealership it goes.

2nd time around, I went on a test drive with the shop foreman and was able to replicate the clicking, which resulted the delaership keeping my vehicle for 2 days while the Shop foreman consults the Engineering Techline from American Honda. Their advice was for the foreman to test drive another MTX Fit, which they were able to locate when another owner came in for servicing. They concluded that the clicking is a normal characteristics of the new 6spd transmission and documented as such.

This past weekend, I was able to put some miles on the vehicle and now the issue is becoming more apparent.

So my plead to the MTX owners on here is to provide me with some feedback on whether your MTX GK does the same or not. I have also put in a request with Honda Case Manager on this case to maybe put me in touch with an Engineering staff to test drive my car so that they can pin point the origin of this clicking.

Other areas I suspect that other culprit areas might be the master cylinder, the gearbox itself, some suspension pieces, or the motor mount.

I'm at my wits end with this noise as I can not really dig into the vehicle during the warranty period. Or otherwise I would have had it identified, apart, and upgraded .

Like I previously indicated, please let me know what you think. I am open to opinions and suggestion and would mind letting you drive it if you are in the South OC area.

BTW, a little bit about myself; Love tinkering, been into the import tuning world since the 90s and am pretty familar with the Mitsu 4g63s, Honda B, C, H, Z and D series swap. Havent delt with K series much.

Thank you guys and gals up front for all your help on this matter. I would hate to have to get rid of this car because of this unresolved noise that is irritating the hell out of me.

Last edited by Westie; 09-19-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Bought my GK with 40,000 miles on it... read yer post a couple of times to make "sure" of what I'm listening for, and, no, mine makes no audible noise as you described. I agree it would be irritating, and hope you get it sorted soon.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I too have read your description a couple of times. I can't quite imagine from your description what this clicking/popping sounds like.

That said, my 6 speed does make an annoying "rattle" sound if I release the clutch at fairly low RPMs...almost a knocking sound. And it is in the front left but I cant quite tell exactly where. I've been assuming (and i might be right) that this is due to the engine straining....low torque at low revs. Sort of like accidentally trying to start off in third gear instead of first. I find the throttle in this car is really dead at the beginning of the stroke as compared to my last Fit and any other car I've had for that matter. Still adjusting to it 6 months/14000km later.

Probably not the same thing though? Do you hear it every time?

OH, I have 30+ years experience driving manual Japanese subcompacts.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
No clicks to my knowledge, at least nothing really noticeable. Sometimes I like to drive with the sound system shut off and I've never really heard anything besides an occasional squeak from the pedal linkage itself.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY13...ature=youtu.be

Here ya go, uploaded a video onto youtube. Let me know if it plays and what you all think about this sound. Normal or Abnormal. Thank you all.

it was all done from a stop to 1st gear where the noise is most noticiable.

MelR, I cant imagine the engine straining noise to travel this far into the cabin and only in the lower foot well especailly when the motor is on the passenger side. IDK as my hands are tied and can not work on it myself as I still have about 31K miles (2.5 years) worth of warrantyleft on it.

Upon reviewing the video, I dont think its the Master cylinder/plunger mechanism as well. Althought I noticed the plunger rod is loose and I can kinda flick it causing movement.

I really want to send this video to Honda Engineering in Torrance to see what they have to say about it.

Last edited by Westie; 09-18-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie

Here ya go, uploaded a video onto youtube. Let me know if it plays and what you all think about this sound. Normal or Abnormal. Thank you all.

MelR, I cant imagine the engine straining noise to travel this far into the cabin and only in the lower foot well especailly when the motor is on the passenger side. IDK as my hands are tied and can not work on it myself as I still have about 31K miles (2.5 years) worth of warrantyleft on it.

Upon reviewing the video, I dont think its the Master cylinder/plunger mechanism as well. Althought I noticed the plunger rod is loose and I can kinda flick it causing movement.

I really want to send this video to Honda Engineering in Torrance to see what they have to say about it.
Early on I had trouble starting my 2015 Fit EX 6 speed MT. It was caused by a combination of my short legs and a small plastic part in the starter set up. As you probably know, manual shift Hondas will not start unless the clutch is completely depressed, I mean to the floor. It can be adjusted if the action is marginal. I thought that I saw plastic part in you video and that may be the problem. Crest Honda here in Nashville replaced the part (approx. 2-3 inches) and the problem has gone away (unless I fail to get the clutch pedal to the floor). No clicking sound, but the ambient noise here and at the shop may have covered it.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

All right. Good video, now I understand your sound. It made me go out for a drive around the block. Now I'm pretty sure that we have the same noise although yours might be slightly louder. (maybe I'll try to capture it in a video as well....in the daylight with my crappy old android phone)

I have to release the clutch quite slowly at low revs to hear it. I occasionally hear it going from first to second gear as well. I've been trying to ignore it and work around it by revving more aggressively starting off. It's hard to believe this would be considered normal. I think a trip to the dealer is in order.

Do you hear it every shift?

I would like to hear if you pursue it further.

regards

Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Mel,
Thank you for taking the time out to do a test drive. I only hear it when going into 1st gear take off, and the occasional 2nd gear. The noise is really noticible when the car is on an incline, Not as much when the car is on a decline.

Still no luck getting in touch with the case manager about getting the Engineering guys to take a peek at the video. Fingers definitely crossed.

I think if Honda continues to deem it as normal operating characterstics, I will keep driving the car until the new Global platform 2017 Impreza come out and trade in the Fit as I know that clicking noise will drive me wonkers over the next 2 years while its under warranty and I can do anything about it.

Overall I love the Fit's size and interior room, which is why I chose this car as my new vehicle in over 10 years. However, I had no idea Honda quality had slip this much though. SMH.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:14 AM
Here is a thread where the outcome was the same as yours (the noise being normal). https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...noise-1st.html

I had the same noise you have but it has seemed to go away. That or I got used to it.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by charlie a.k.a. chuck
Here is a thread where the outcome was the same as yours (the noise being normal). https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...noise-1st.html

I had the same noise you have but it has seemed to go away. That or I got used to it.
hey, Thanks for this link!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Charlie, thank you for the link. Atleast i am not the only one with this problem. Collectively we all need to keep an eye on this on the long run for any transmission issues.

I still cant believe that a "thin firewall" or "normal characteristic" is an acceptable answer for a noisy transmission. Honda Quality and Customer Service sure has gone down hill from what I remembered....smh.

Anyways, I THINK I'm going to continue driving this thing till the end of the year, and see how the new global platform Imprezas performs and maybe make a decision then.

Last edited by Westie; 09-21-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Update...

So after a few more pestering and annoying phone tag with the folks at American Honda, they finally agreed to send a Honda Field Engineer out to see my car this coming Thursday morning since they will be in the area.

Depending on my patient work load for that day, I may consider being present so that i can pick the engineer's brain about the origin of the sound if they let me.

BTW, the sound is getting louder and the creaking longer in duration when there is an incline involved and the car has been driven for a bit.

Fingers crossed that it get resolved or a recall issued for those that have it. I still dont believe that the ticking noise is a normal character for a manual gear box on an Econo car. MyGixxer and Ducati transmission doesnt make noises like this.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
9/292016 Update

For anyone that still cares about the clicking noise, I called Honda Corporate regarding the clicking noise (see video & previous thread) and they put me in touch with a Field Service Engineer for SoCal region. We went on a quick 1 mile test drive and was able to replicate the noise.

Prelim Dx: thinks it might be the tranny mount that may be failing.

Will find out more later after then tear into the car with the Shop foremen that I have been working with.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
So after a few more pestering and annoying phone tag with the folks at American Honda, they finally agreed to send a Honda Field Engineer out to see my car this coming Thursday morning since they will be in the area.

Depending on my patient work load for that day, I may consider being present so that i can pick the engineer's brain about the origin of the sound if they let me.

BTW, the sound is getting louder and the creaking longer in duration when there is an incline involved and the car has been driven for a bit.

Fingers crossed that it get resolved or a recall issued for those that have it. I still dont believe that the ticking noise is a normal character for a manual gear box on an Econo car. MyGixxer and Ducati transmission doesnt make noises like this.
Now I don't know what a "Gixxer" is, but to the best of my knowledge, a Ducati is a motorcycle, not an automobile, certainly not a 6 speed manual shift Honda.

Since I have a similar 2015 Fit EX manual shift 6 speed, I am interested in the reason and any necessary fix.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM
I just got my car 2015 manual Fit back yesterday from the dealership for this very same issue. The clicking is really apparent when in stop and go driving when pushing and releasing clutch pedal in first gear. Tech stated he was unable to hear the clicking noise, so I was asked to come back and duplicate noise with Tech in the car. After doing so, he finally admitted that he can now hear the noise coming from movement of the clutch. Later in the day service tech calls to tell me they have checked the clutch and transmission and were unable to find anything wrong. At this point rather than try to identify the issue any longer and resolve it, they decided to go to their fall back positions of.... we drove two other new manual Fits and duplicated the noise in them. Really....you were unable to hear the noise in my car, but now able to clearly hear it in two other new manual Fits. Did I mention that after being told that, I checked their website and called the sales dept and was told we have no manuals in stock. When I mentioned that to the service people they became very uncomfortable and stated they are just repeating what the Tech person told them.
I can put up with sagging bumpers, gaps on the dashboard, falling rear wheel liners and that occasional cold start rasp but this clutch issue and their inability and unwillingness to resolve it has me wanting to dump this thing. I think my only option is to try another Honda dealership in the area. Since I bought the car from them I thought they might go the extra mile to resolve the issue...Guess I was wrong.
I would appreciate if you might post the outcome of your car with the Field Service tech. At least it might get me headed in the right direction.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Now I don't know what a "Gixxer" is, but to the best of my knowledge, a Ducati is a motorcycle, not an automobile, certainly not a 6 speed manual shift Honda.

Since I have a similar 2015 Fit EX manual shift 6 speed, I am interested in the reason and any necessary fix.
Gixxers is a Suzuki GSXR

MCooper, the field rep is ordering a new tranmission mount to be installed in the car. unfortunally it is on backorder and is being shipped in. Approximately 1 week wait time. I didnt get a chance to meet with the Field service rep again as I pick up the car close to closing time, and the shop foremen had already left. Next time I'm in, Imma pick the shop foremen's brain to see how they deduced it as the transmission mount.

Oh a bright side, look slike they put about 11 miles on a test drive, and must have tighten the mount down somehow as the clicking noise is really faint now. I will keep an eye on it this weekend.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Keep us informed. I had the same issue. Brought it up and was assured it was normal. I kinda got over it, but still hear it once in a while especially when I'm using the a/c for some reason. I noticed that it's most prominent when I'm releasing the clutch without a lot of gas. Meaning if I rev high enough while disengaging the clutch, I don't seem to hear it. Curious.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
Keep us informed. I had the same issue. Brought it up and was assured it was normal. I kinda got over it, but still hear it once in a while especially when I'm using the a/c for some reason. I noticed that it's most prominent when I'm releasing the clutch without a lot of gas. Meaning if I rev high enough while disengaging the clutch, I don't seem to hear it. Curious.
Me too. Exactly as you describe. On an incline it is most noticeable. In fact, on an incline, even after I fully release the clutch I can produce it...just as the engine is starting to think about stalling. I assume that's when the drivetrain is working its hardest.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
For anyone that still cares about the clicking noise, I called Honda Corporate regarding the clicking noise (see video & previous thread) and they put me in touch with a Field Service Engineer for SoCal region. We went on a quick 1 mile test drive and was able to replicate the noise.

Prelim Dx: thinks it might be the tranny mount that may be failing.

Will find out more later after then tear into the car with the Shop foremen that I have been working with.
Good to know - I get a clunky sound after letting the clutch out and initially accelerating in first and second. It's not the clutch or clutch pedal, but something perhaps when the engine starts to shift under as the gas is applied.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Part finally arrived this past wednesday. I was away for a conference in Orlando, so was not able to get it installed. Made appt for wed 10/12. Fingers crossed it gets fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)