3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhass
Update: my application of anti-corrosion lubricant the the transmission mount/chassis interface is still working. The clicking noise is 100 percent gone.
mine is still quiet after 3 weeks, all good so far, just that bit of rust on the clamp leaching onto my car paint

Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydave
mine is still quiet after 3 weeks, all good so far, just that bit of rust on the clamp leaching onto my car paint
I forgot to mention that I bought one of those extra-long, flexible aerosol straws so I could snake it around and underneath the clamp to get plenty of the anti-corrosion spray in there

Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I forgot to mention that I bought one of those extra-long, flexible aerosol straws so I could snake it around and underneath the clamp to get plenty of the anti-corrosion spray in there

thats great idea, what colour is your car? and will you be mentioning it at the main dealer service?

im also glad im not the only one with issues with this gearbox mount

Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM
thats great idea, what colour is your car? and will you be mentioning it at the main dealer service?

im also glad im not the only one with issues with this gearbox mount
I think this clicking noise is a common issue with the manual transmission Fit.

My car is “Modern Steel Metallic”.

If the noise doesn’t come back, or can be kept away with occasional applications of Boeshield, I’m not going to mention it to the dealer. I don’t want the techs there trying to fix it.

Since I do my own oil changes, spark plugs and easy stuff like that, and since I drive only about 7,000 miles a year, it’s going to be a while (I hope) before I’m at the dealer!

Old 05-13-2019, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
I think this clicking noise is a common issue with the manual transmission Fit.

My car is “Modern Steel Metallic”.

If the noise doesn’t come back, or can be kept away with occasional applications of Boeshield, I’m not going to mention it to the dealer. I don’t want the techs there trying to fix it.

Since I do my own oil changes, spark plugs and easy stuff like that, and since I drive only about 7,000 miles a year, it’s going to be a while (I hope) before I’m at the dealer!

im glad my noise is still gone after 3 week just using silicone spray and not having to tighten bolts, it was a nice suprise after all i was just spraying it to stop the rust getting worse

my car is orchard perl white so it shows everything up like rail dust etc

Old 05-20-2019, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
just to let you know the noise is starting to coming back after 4 weeks, it doesnt do it every time at the moment

Old 05-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Good to know. The Boeshield spray I used leaves a waxy film on the metal, so it may last longer than silicone spray. I will let you know.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Good to know. The Boeshield spray I used leaves a waxy film on the metal, so it may last longer than silicone spray. I will let you know.
thanks for that, i will be interested to hear how your car goes, i didnt want to put anything too greasy on mine as i intend to take it in at the dealers on its first service in september to see if i can get it replaced (hopefully) under warranty

Old 07-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Update: the noise has still NOT returned. Its perfectly quiet.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Update: the noise has still NOT returned. Its perfectly quiet.

thanks for the update

i took your advice and got a longer straw for the silicone lub and put a squirt under the bolt/bracket under the battery and it has been nearly 8 weeks and quiet for me

i am still having them take a look at the bracket on the service in a couple of months just to get it on the paperwork really

and if it does come back after the service i have some white grease that will use and doesnt wash off

my rust seems to have stayed the same when i looked at it last month, the silicone has turned it to a dark brown

hope to have no noise like you going forward

oh and i put a spanner on the bolt at the back (i couldnt reach the front one) and it didnt tighten any more so was not loose

Last edited by monkeydave; 08-07-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
i spoke too soon my creak is comming back slowly, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't, i will leave it for the mechanic to look at at the service next month and depending on what happens i have some white lithium grease that i will use instead of the silicone lubricant, its thicker and wont dry off

Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 PM
i spoke too soon my creak is comming back slowly, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't, i will leave it for the mechanic to look at at the service next month and depending on what happens i have some white lithium grease that i will use instead of the silicone lubricant, its thicker and wont dry off
Yes, i think you just need something thicker. I'm convinced this is simply metal on metal contact. The creaking noise hasn't come back on my car yet.] (fingers crossed).

Old 08-08-2019, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, i think you just need something thicker. I'm convinced this is simply metal on metal contact. The creaking noise hasn't come back on my car yet.] (fingers crossed).

well thats good to hear that yours is still ok, it is the metal on metal as you said

im waiting for the service because the white grease might make a mess and i dont want any problems on the service when the mechanic sees it

there was a guy on here that said his noise just went away by itself once he got over 5000 miles

Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 PM
S54
Any updates? My 2015 has done this since nearly new as well. I hear and feel it every time I engage the clutch from a stop or low speeds, it's no longer an occasional noise. The dealer has looked at it but claim it's functioning as designed. I also think it's the motor & torque mounts.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by S54
Any updates? My 2015 has done this since nearly new as well. I hear and feel it every time I engage the clutch from a stop or low speeds, it's no longer an occasional noise. The dealer has looked at it but claim it's functioning as designed. I also think it's the motor & torque mounts.
My car (2018) is still nice and quiet since spraying the driver side motor mount with lubricant as discussed.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
My car (2018) is still nice and quiet since spraying the driver side motor mount with lubricant as discussed.

thanks for the update, i am pleased your car is still ok

my cars noise seems to have gone away by itself, i didnt put any more silicone on it as i am having my service in a week, it came back for a while then went quieter and quieter and now just silence so i am pleased, i will still have him take a look at it on the service when he does his checks

well to tell the truth i can hear it faintly sometimes but i will try some thicker white grease or a spray with some ptfe in when i get it back from the service in a week or so

Last edited by monkeydave; 09-13-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-23-2019, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
update, i had my service today and the mechanic said my mount was faulty and ordered another one for fitting on wednesday (30 min job apparently) so im happy about getting a new one, the loaner car i got had an improved version of the clamp with a metal plate welded to the top and plastic inside the clamp and also an extension under the bolt (check out my old stye in the white picture to the new one) and my car is a late 2018 compared to the 2019 gray jazz se i got as a loaner, maybe i got the last of the old style ones or maybe they re-designed it in early 2019. i did note that the new clamp still had some rust on the edge the same as mine

Old 09-25-2019, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
been to the dealers today, new gearbox mount fitted under warranty in 40 mins, no more noise

hope everyone else is doing ok with their noise

here is my new mount for anyone interested

Old 09-27-2019, 02:38 PM
S54
monkeydave, did you happen to get the part number for the newer revised gearbox mount? Was your rear torque mount also checked as well?

I just replaced the trans mount on my 2015 Fit after the dealer denied it was faulty multiple times. I also replaced the torque strut mount while I had it up although I don't believe it needed replacement. The version of the trans mount I had is an awful design. The 2 metal brackets that surround the rubber mount were so loose I could hear it clanking as soon as I got the engine weight off of it to remove it. Unfortunately the mount I replaced it with is of the same design so I fully expect it to fail in time.

The car feels much better now, I had adapted to the sloppy clutch feeling over time as the mount worsened. Such a shame they just don't build them like they used to. The mount issue as well as all the other issues this car has had since new along with the shoddy build quality and fit & finish has left a bad taste towards the brand. This will most likely be my last modern Honda after owning over 10 golden era models.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
nope i didnt get any paperwork for the mount just for the service

i showed them my pics and told them the sound it made and the head tech took it for a test drive and they just changed it without any fuss and it is silent now so well pleased

Last edited by monkeydave; 09-27-2019 at 05:45 PM.