3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)

Old 12-18-2016, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me like your left front CV joint could be making the noise you are describing.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StarFire 2258
Pointed my local Honda dealer to this thread, showed them the video, and they agreed the click was abnormal -- but for whatever reason, they don't think it's the transmission mount. They ordered a replacement driver's side axle.

When that didn't work, they ordered a replacement front-left strut. Am waiting for the strut to come in now.

Oh damn, sorry to hear about your ordeal. Let them replace those parts if they feel like it is defective. After all it is under warranty (Just hate for them to start ripping into parts that have been factory torqued. Have them save the parts replaced and show you why they think it is defective before they mail it back to Honda.

Although I highly doubt the driver axle or strut being the culprit, I never thought a transmission mount would go bad on a 5K mile car making only 130HP. Speaks a lot on the new "Global" Honda quality. This will definitely be my ONLY and LAST Honda. Back to Lexus or Subaru.

Keep us updated on the Strut replacement and whether the issue gets resolved. It should be fairly evident the moment you pick up your car. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Update: I literally just picked up my Fit from the dealership where they performed a warranty replacement of the transmission mount and also applied felt pad to act as a bushing of sorts. So far so good, I hear no chatter from the transmission as I did before, but it's only been a dozen miles driven, so I'll report back in a day or two.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
I've got the ticking too - so glad to see this thread

So my ticking-clicking has been since since the first day I owned the car and it was under 60 degrees outside. That 60 degree mark is like flipping a switch.

So now I've read of multiple "felt" installations. That seems like it's a known issue and that Honda has found a solution to the issue.

I hate letting them work on my car but it sounds like I need to start the process of getting a new mount while it's still cold here in the Midwest. Heck... I can install some felt.

Thanks so much for your persistence with Honda.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 01-09-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Based on what? You and a small number of others here? I have a 2015 EX Fit/6 speed manual transmission. I had some problems early on because of my short legs and the clutch switch not being fully depressed. Once the dealer duplicated the problem, the part was ordered and the problem was sloved.

Recalls happen when there is a potential safety issue.
I am interested in this problem even though I have the CVT. Is the clutch switch a problem or your short leg? What was the "part" replaced? Does Honda have a part that allows short legged person to engage the clutch so the car would start?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
so I'll report back in a day or two.
Back again. I feel comfortable saying that the sound is gone and, bonus, the transmission engagement feels smoother in general. I'm glad I followed through with the dealership and had this covered by the warranty. Honda did right by me on this one.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I am interested in this problem even though I have the CVT. Is the clutch switch a problem or your short leg? What was the "part" replaced? Does Honda have a part that allows short legged person to engage the clutch so the car would start?
The clutch switch was definitely the problem. I do occasionally not push the clutch all the way down but the second attempt works. No, Honda does not offer and accessory to compensate. I cannot find any pedal pads that are worth a damn I need to get shoes with thicker soles.

The clutch switch is about the length of my thumb (approx. 2").

Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Pointed my local Honda dealer to this thread, showed them the video, and they agreed the click was abnormal -- but for whatever reason, they don't think it's the transmission mount. They ordered a replacement driver's side axle.

When that didn't work, they ordered a replacement front-left strut. Am waiting for the strut to come in now.
Wow, you car became the mechanical clinical trials candidate. Not having absorbed all the posts, did Honda finally figured out what caused the clicking problem? Which model year is your car?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
Back again. I feel comfortable saying that the sound is gone and, bonus, the transmission engagement feels smoother in general. I'm glad I followed through with the dealership and had this covered by the warranty. Honda did right by me on this one.

So awesome to hear. Continue to Keep an eye on it with mileage and temperature change as we get in to the summer months to see if the clicking comes back.

They added felt pad with the new mount?

Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie
They added felt pad with the new mount?
They did indeed. Tech commented that the OE mount should have been designed better.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
I thought so too. The tolerance between the 2 pieces are too loose. Feel like its missing a rubber or urethane bushing to take up the tolerance.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
8K Mile Update (Bad News)

So I am currently at 8050 miles, and it is sad to report that I am starting to hear the infamous clicking from the transmission mount again. The sound is very faint and intermittent. I am unable to reproduce it on command like I did before. Probably in its early stages still.

With the recent bout of rain storms in SoCal, it has drop our night temperature down into the 50's, and upon 1st gear acceleration, there is definitely an audiable click that is similar to my initial encounter which captured my attention first time around at 5.4K miles.

So far it has only been ONLY 3K miles, since the repair, with my short daily commute to work being less than 7 miles in each direction, and little errands to Costco n such in between. Car is never abused or over reved.

It is truly sad to see this happening again. I guess back to the dealership it goes once I have a little more free time and if the clicking becomes louder and more consistent. This experience is starting to reconfirm my perception that Hondas are not what they used to be.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm on my second engine mounts too and like you the noise has returned after 6K miles. Not sure what to do at this point. Replace again now or wait to see if Honda can can up with a permanent fix down the line. Are there any Techs here that can shed some light on this issue?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
That's a bummer Westie. Mine is still pretty fresh from the replacement, and still no noise, but we'll see how long it lasts. Keep us updated.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks to this thread!

I couldn't remember how the 36 versus 50,000 mile warranty worked so I got into the dealer at 35,900... I've had the ticking/creaking for two years but it was always when very cold outside and the engine compartment was warm. Odd that it was so temp dependent but that is why it was easy to put off for 9 warm months. It did come back and was at it's worst on 2 hour or longer interstate drives, even when warm out. If I stopped off for gas it would always be noisy and creak when pulling out of a gas station. Honestly it would always go through my head as I continued on a road trip because prior to this thread it seemed like something was stressed and could fail...

So I shared this thread and the service writer was very willing to listen. The pictures of the felt covered mount is what really sealed the deal. My dealer didn't have felt readily available but did have some heavy rubber gasket material. They showed me the piece they cut from but I'm yet to pop the hood and look at their work.

My car is silent. I mean zero abnormal noises. Even noises that most of us consider normal on a car that is a few years old, they're gone too. The car went from feeling like a well kept used car, right back to feeling like a brand new car.

For those who came before me on this mission... THANK YOU.

VIN in the 28,000 range... 2015 LX 6spd purchased Oct 2014.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-28-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Take some pictures when you have the time. If you can, can you please ask the dealership the type of rubber or durometer of the material and where they applied the material on the mount?

Soo glad to hear your car doesn't creak. Keep us updated on the progress of the fix.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Oh damn, sorry to hear about your ordeal. Let them replace those parts if they feel like it is defective. After all it is under warranty (Just hate for them to start ripping into parts that have been factory torqued. Have them save the parts replaced and show you why they think it is defective before they mail it back to Honda.

Although I highly doubt the driver axle or strut being the culprit, I never thought a transmission mount would go bad on a 5K mile car making only 130HP. Speaks a lot on the new "Global" Honda quality. This will definitely be my ONLY and LAST Honda. Back to Lexus or Subaru.

Keep us updated on the Strut replacement and whether the issue gets resolved. It should be fairly evident the moment you pick up your car. Fingers crossed.
Brought it back to get the strut installed (after several month delay; they never told me the part was in, and I was dealing with a new daughter), they took another listen and decided it wasn't necessarily just the strut... Apparently there's a bearing which might be responsible for the noise too, in their estimation, and they're going to replace both at the same time next Saturday and see if that works.

Here are the part numbers they ordered:

51621-t5r-a04 (shock absorber)
51726-sfa-005 (bearing)

Old 04-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Brought it back to get the strut installed (after several month delay; they never told me the part was in, and I was dealing with a new daughter), they took another listen and decided it wasn't necessarily just the strut... Apparently there's a bearing which might be responsible for the noise too, in their estimation, and they're going to replace both at the same time next Saturday and see if that works.

Here are the part numbers they ordered:

51621-t5r-a04 (shock absorber)
51726-sfa-005 (bearing)
Update: Neither the absorber nor the bearing solved the issue. They set me up with a rental while they escalate to Honda engineers. No ETA.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Update: Neither the absorber nor the bearing solved the issue. They set me up with a rental while they escalate to Honda engineers. No ETA.

Definitely keep us updated on the situation. Im about to bring mine back in too at almost 10k on the Odometer (approx. 4900 miles since the repair) just so that it is documented.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely keep us updated on the situation. Im about to bring mine back in too at almost 10k on the Odometer (approx. 4900 miles since the repair) just so that it is documented.
The temperature dependency is interesting. I have yet to have my transmission mount repaired....I could not demonstrate the sound to the dealer because the weather was cold and mine is silent in the cold. Today was really our first decently warm day this spring....my noise is back.

Anyone think placing some sort of gasket material on the mount is a DIY thing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GK MTX Clutch/Transmission clicking noise? (Long Rant)