General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

4 speed v. 7 speed CVT - which is better

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM
4 speed v. 7 speed CVT - which is better

Hi all,

This is my first post, so a couple of words about me. I'm a Brit and a new Jazz driver. Fuel efficiency is interesting to me since petrol in England currently costs about $1 per imperial pint, I've worked out. I'm finding the Jazz a very nice car, all told.

My question is about the CVT transmission. AIUI when I first start the transmission pretends to be a 4 speed box; press the 7 speed button and it starts pretending to be a 7 speed box. So far so good, but which is the cheaper to run? Logic says it ought to be the 7 speed mode, since I imagine it should match engine speed to vehicle speed more closely, but I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

TIA

Chris

Old 05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
when you start the car, the transmission SHOULD have an infinite number of ratios.. hence continuously variable. If you feel it shift i'd take it to the dealer.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
^^ what he said.... shouldnt be able to feel a shift at all.... One of the reasons why i really like the fit - just how smooth the ride is with CVT

Old 05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks for that, but I am aware that CVT means continuously variable transmission. The point is that the computer that controls the transmission uses two different algorithms. When I first start the car the algorithm it applies emulates a 4 speed automatic. Hit the 7 speed mode button and it emulates a 7 speed automatic. The car definitely behaves differently between the two modes. So, which mode is the more fuel-efficient?

Chris

Old 05-21-2007, 03:06 PM
but it SHOULDNT emulate a 4 speed. it shouldnt emulate anything. it has an infinite number of ratios available, and in "D" it should be able to use all of them. Like I said before, if you're feeling it shift when you're not in 7 spd mode, take it to a dealer asap!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh for goodness sake! I'm beginning to feel as if we're talking different languages. Yes I know! I'm not talking about shifts, I'm taking about modes and emulations. Would it help you if I said default mode instead of 4 speed mode? What I want to know is, of the two modes of automatic transmission available to the CVT-7 box, which is the most economical.

Chris

Old 05-21-2007, 04:01 PM
OK, well standard "drive" mode will be most efficient, but only because it doesnt emulate a standard gearbox. The 7-speed mode emulates 7 speeds, which is much more limiting than the standard mode. My point above was that the standard mode has WAY more than 4 speeds, and if yours only has 4 available ratios, something is wrong. Sorry if I came across harsh.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Wow - this is the first i hear of a Fit with this transmission.

In america it comes without CVT, over here in Asia, it comes with CVT, and in UK - u have a choice between both

I would say that the 7speed option would be more efficient...

Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
My point above was that the standard mode has WAY more than 4 speeds, and if yours only has 4 available ratios, something is wrong. Sorry if I came across harsh.
"Two nations divided by a common language"" - George Bernard Shaw. But we usually seem to get there in the end. I understand the thrust of your argument so I shall leave it in the default mode.

Navadv, the point of the seven speed stuff, I think, is to enable a 7 speed semi-manual mode with paddles on the steering wheel like an F1 car. Misses the point, IMHO. If I want to have to decide about the gears I'll buy a manual and (in the UK) save myself a grand or more.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
IMHO the usage depends much on rev., and so it is the question in which mode you can drive at lower or constant low rev.
For me, I was never able to drive as economical in 7 speed mode as in the mode the gear was initially designed for.