General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Did you buy the fit for good mpgs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
For me, I wanted a car that got great gas mileage, would be reliable, and did well in safety ratings. The versatility of the Fit put me over the top.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I guess that was my reason for getting the fit
cuz if it were really up to me i wouldve paid for an SI which was 5k more
=/

BUT IM HAPPY =]
the community is so great

Old 10-22-2007, 12:51 AM
NMG
The 2 main reasons I was serious about the Fit were the mileage and the fact that I've always liked hatchbacks. The reliability and quality of Honda's didn't hurt either. When I test drove it, the fact that it was actually fun to drive sealed my decision.

I guess over the last few years, I've also changed my view about a daily driver/commuter vehicle and the fact that having a 1/2 ton 4x4 as a daily driver just doesn't make much sense for me anymore. I still have and love my truck, but it's reserved primarily for "truck duties" now.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit gets better mileage than Versa and those Chevy and Suzuki subcompacts, whatever they're called, so for me it was between the Fit, Yaris, and Scion. With the price of gas, I can't see paying for any more than I need to. But...the hybrids are prohibitively expensive; you're not gonna recoup that extra 10 grand you spent from your gas savings; at least not for many, many years.

The Toyotas have a real cheezy look and feel to them, like something a broke college student would drive (no offense to broke college students ). They get slightly better mileage, but it's very close to the numbers for the Fit.

The Fit looks better, handles better, has more comfortable seats, and feels better ergonomically. I also enjoy people seeing it and saying, "Wow, that's a neat car - what kind is it?"

Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Prior to the introduction of the Fit in the U.S., I had been "searching" for a replacement for my Nissan truck. I decided against getting a new truck, because: 1. they keep on getting bigger. 2. I wanted higher mileage.

I always lusted after the Mini-Cooper, but I could not justify it from a practical standpoint. I considered the Rav4, the Element, the Subaru Forester, but they all came up short on the MPG.When the Fit arrived, I knew it was the car for me, and every review I read just reinforced that idea.

In answer to the original question: I have a concern for the environment and global warming, and yes, I am really cheap (Not necessarily in that order ).

I have been driving Nissan trucks for the past 25 years, and one added bonus of the Fit that I had forgotten with the Nissans, I now realize how much fun driving can be. Thanks Honda!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Traded in my 07 civic coupe for the fit for the following reasons.

1) Cargo Space
2) 4 doors and hatch
3) Tuner potential
4) MADE IN JAPAN
5) Not too bad on gas

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Talking

I got it b/c it was cheap, good on gas, has 4 doors(have 2 kids), lots a room, and I need something reliable for daily driving (125miles a day).

I am content with the purchase. I just achieved 42.55 mpg!(driving conservative)

Also, I do plan on doing a motor swap in a few years when the prices come down on the motors and accesories and the wiring is more desirable.

Last edited by pb and h; 10-26-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
You think 42mpg in our cars is great? Draft a 18-wheeler at 60mph for 3 hours on the highway. You'd probably get near 70mpg..

Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by storm88000
You think 42mpg in our cars is great? Draft a 18-wheeler at 60mph for 3 hours on the highway. You'd probably get near 70mpg..
You're absolutely correct. But, it also might be the last mileage you get on this side of the grass.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I did buy for environmental reasons. We're a pretty 'green' family (we gots one of them fancy-type organic restaurants up here). I did a lot of research on emissions and MPG.

Really, it was for the whole package--nothing else has the cargo capacity (with the seats up) of a mini-ute and this kind of MPG.

We dig our Fit!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
i've just noticed KayJai's posting. 4406 yen for 33l / 132yn per litre is really good. i put 7/8th of a tank in and it cost me £38 (8,794.41yn or $79.4580 US according to XE.com - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site ).

Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Well unfortunately you guys in the UK and Europe Pay WAY more than the rest of the world! Sucks to have to pay for gas there, and yet, there are ENDLESS amounts of Premium cars on that side of the pond!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I was definately wanting something with better fuel economy. I had an '07 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 6SPD, and I loved it, it was definately a great truck and in my opinion the best to buy for its size but it only got about 20 to 21 MPG at best and cost 65 to 75 to fill up, lastly I never used it as a truck, just commuted in it and a couple times carried my dog in the bed, so I decided to get something more economical but would still fit all of my needs. I researched the various choices of vehicles in the sub compact class and wanted a hatch, I then went for test drives and, oh man did the little fit put a smile on my face, I then walked into the dealers office to sign the papers and I drove away with an '08 silver fit base and have been very happy with my purchase since. Oh how blissful it is to own such a gem.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by pastafarian
Was the main reason you purchased the Fit because of the fuel economy? The fuel economy was the main reason I'm going to get a fit. Along with the fact it is a Honda, has Honda's reliability, its inexpensive, can carry five people, and is a hatch.

Do you have a concern for the environment, global warming, or are you really cheap? lol

I care about the environment, but I wouldn't call myself a hippie, I do listen to some hippie music but i own nothing that is tiedye, and I listen to Gwar.
That was my original reason. But the mpg wasn't as great as I wished. However, the car is fun, and it totally makes up for the 2-5 additional mpg I wish it had.
Originally Posted by KayJai
Well unfortunately you guys in the UK and Europe Pay WAY more than the rest of the world! Sucks to have to pay for gas there, and yet, there are ENDLESS amounts of Premium cars on that side of the pond!
They technically aren't paying, because the high tax eventually goes back to repair the roads and stuff. At the same time, it encourages you to drive more green. It's a win win situation.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I bought mine for good mpg as Cali gas is kinda expensive. While I bought the Fit to be economical and a daily driver, I can't explain my own stupidity for not buying a more boring car. Now I wanna fix it up and put a turbo kit on too. ROFL.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Better mileage was part of the reason, and the fact that it sips 87... my last 3 out of 4 cars required 91/93, and that hurt.

So far (and I'm only a week and a half in), I seem to be right around 30mpg, but without being able to track exactly how much gas I went through (both times my gas tank was filled up at the dealership), I can't say for sure until the next go around.

-Mike

Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
having good mpg and running regular gas was a big plus for me since
this is my daily driver. but it was not my deciding factor.

ive always liked boxy little cars and wanted at MT car that i can
play with all year long.... plus have enough cargo space to do family
things...like shopping, throwing my kid's bicycle in the trunk and go to
a picnic or something. the Fit's gearbox (MT) is fantastic.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
You should get a short shifter and you will love it more! Trust me.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
^
I put in the short shifter and it's getting a littleeeeee closer to how short of a shifter my 350Z is. Now it's a bit more fun.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, i never liked short shafted shifters all that much... i actually
raised the shifter height on my G35C and put a weighted knob on it.
shifts much better and smoother.

i dont plan on making the Fit's shifter any shorter. i put a weighted
knob on there and it's perfect.

Quick Reply: Did you buy the fit for good mpgs?