General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Power outlet hack...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Power outlet hack...

Hey ya.
I've got my XM Sky-fi unit in my Fit, and one thing that bugs me is that I can't pause it and shut the car off. The power is cut off to the lighter in these I guess. That was one thing I loved about my Jetta. I just kept the XM on all the time, then got in the car and rewound so I could pick songs to listen to that had played over the last 40 minutes, or skip commercials on the talk shows.
Is there a hack so I can keep power going to the lighter.
And yes, I've searched. Didn't find anything. If you've got a link for me, post it please.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
No problem.

1. Find one of the empty fuse slots that is ALWAYS ON... just use a multimeter. If necessary, borrow one from a neighbor or stop by radio shack and ask nicely to borrow one quickly (they'll probably be interested in what your doing and oblige).

2. Pull up your center console to get to the back of the cigarette lighter (12V accessory) socket.

3. Run a new wire from the positive side of the back of the 12V accessory socket to the under-dash fuse block assembly.

4. Put a spade connector on the end of the wire.

5. Cut the spade connector to 1/2 the width (so it will fit into one side of the fuse slot).

6. Stick the spade connector in one of the slots that is always on. The fuses run vertically, with the two slots for the fuse like this ----- -----

7. Make sure you stick the spade connector into the slot on the LEFT for the fuse. LEFT is +12V, RIGHT is ground.

------ ------
__^____^
__|____|-RIGHT SIDE
__|-LEFT SIDE

Or you could use something like this... it does the same thing (but costs a lot of $ )

Here's a link

Last edited by AppleMac*Fit; 11-20-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: To get the fuse diagram correct
Old 11-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned
APPLEMAC*FIT real nice job on the full time power outlet.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
LDO
Nice job Apple!!

Never thought of doing that!

the fuses run horizontally though...

Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
No problem.

1. Find one of the empty fuse slots that is ALWAYS ON... just use a multimeter. If necessary, borrow one from a neighbor or stop by radio shack and ask nicely to borrow one quickly (they'll probably be interested in what your doing and oblige).

2. Pull up your center console to get to the back of the cigarette lighter (12V accessory) socket.

3. Run a new wire from the positive side of the back of the 12V accessory socket to the under-dash fuse block assembly.

4. Put a spade connector on the end of the wire.

5. Cut the spade connector to 1/2 the width (so it will fit into one side of the fuse slot).

6. Stick the spade connector in one of the slots that is always on. The fuses run vertically, with the two slots for the fuse like this ----- -----

7. Make sure you stick the spade connector into the slot on the LEFT for the fuse. LEFT is +12V, RIGHT is ground.

------ ------
__^____^
__|____|-RIGHT SIDE
__|-LEFT SIDE

Or you could use something like this... it does the same thing (but costs a lot of $ )

Here's a link
You are a fantastic person. Thank you. Now to go electrocute myself...