General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Towing w/ a Fit??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
Air dampers are a must just for having rear passengers along with their luggage in a Fit or a Civic! I just about destroyed my '06 Civic rear tires with 5 of us in a car! They just put way too soft suspension on these cars and they just bottom out so easily even under light to moderate loading!

Can't thank mahout enough for introducing us to Monroe air dampers and manxman for a nice DYI install write up!

Another good thing for A/T Fits on a towing duty would be adding a transmission cooler! Universal ones can be purchased for under $50 and some oil resistant rubber tubing and few clamps. OEM A/T hoses are clamped to the radiator. You can just throw universal cooler in-line on the return line to the tranny. Better safe than sorry!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 AM
From what I've read the Jazz in europe and Japan have a rated towing capacity of 1500 pounds. It sounds to me like America's law-suit happy society has made the manufacturers nervous of allowing any towing for fear of someone overloading and having an accident then suing them. I believe a light load, towed with caution, should not be a problem. This would absolve Honda if you have an accident since the user manual says towing is not recommended.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kenper
From what I've read the Jazz in europe and Japan have a rated towing capacity of 1500 pounds. It sounds to me like America's law-suit happy society has made the manufacturers nervous of allowing any towing for fear of someone overloading and having an accident then suing them. I believe a light load, towed with caution, should not be a problem. This would absolve Honda if you have an accident since the user manual says towing is not recommended.
100% correct.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Very smart. Poor stupid us. Someone is always trying to sue someone or something else. Thanks for the insight. Hey, isn't that also a Honda?

Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 AM
will there be an issue of the chassis flexing?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know. But I am sure there would be, I mean look how little the car itself is. It's weight is only 2122 pounds wet (full tank of fuel) that is 122 pounds heavier than your indy car's. On high way, I don't think so, but on curvy country roads, I do think, yeah......

Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by mangoes
will there be an issue of the chassis flexing?
That could be why the Fit may only a tow rating 1500lbs in Europe/ Japan. That isn't very much considering my little 4runner is rated at 6000lbs.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Stop the misinformation!

I can't believe how much bad info is in these threads about towing with the Fit. All the hitch photos in the first page of this thread are bogus -- those are all hitches meant for trucks.

There are at least three hitches on the market in the U.S. that are specifically designed for the Fit. Go to Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 and do a search and you'll find them. All of them are an easy 30-minute bolt-on operation. I just ordered the Curt hitch for my Fit and plan to tow a light trailer for construction materials and maybe also a motorcycle or small boat.

As others have said, air shocks are a good idea if you'll be towing. Search the suspension forum here for info on Monroe air shocks. I've got them on my Fit and they work great. I wouldn't say they're required for towing, but will probably increase stability while doing so. But don't think they'll increase your load carrying ability, because of the way the hitches attach to the car. Too much weight will tear the sheet metal out of the back of the car. I agree with those who say it would be wise to keep total towing weight under 1,000 pounds, keep speeds down and mind your braking.

Please search other threads before posting more misleading trailering info. Most of the good info has already been presented. See this thread, for instance -- people have successfully towed ATV's, motorcycles, small boats and even other cars with their Fits:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...ighlight=hitch

Old 07-10-2008, 04:30 PM
If I can pull a 400# trailor behind my 2200 lb Miata (40 X 48 single axle with large box and racing wheels w/tires, I built mine exactly like this.) you can certainly tow a light motorcycle on a trailer. I can barely even tell it's back there. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to add trailer brakes if you haven't already due to the valid reasons posted above.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Skimmer
I can't believe how much bad info is in these threads about towing with the Fit. All the hitch photos in the first page of this thread are bogus -- those are all hitches meant for trucks.
I think all of the hitch photos posted in this thread are just stock photos from the respective websites and not supposed to be the actual hitch or meant to be misleading. I like the website you pasted which shows photos of the actual hitches for the Fit.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
me and moms just bought us a 2004 seadoo jetski... im def about to order a hidden hitch cuz i hate needing a truck to do my dirty work... i am lowered but not that much. im hopin this works out good. i finally have my way of having fun alone

Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I just installed the Curt hitch on my Fit over the weekend. Couldn't have been any easier. Took me literally about 20 mins (not counting the trailer wiring harness, which I haven't installed yet). Anyway, I chose the Curt just because it looks more substantial than the Hidden hitch. It doesn't tuck up under the rear bodywork as much as I like, but it's not bad and I doubt the Hidden is any better. But the finish on the Curt hitch is good quality black powder-coat that should last well.