General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

FIT Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
FIT Towing?

Can the automatic fit with tranny cooler tow 2000 lbs or is that a pipe dream?

I am putting air shocks and a tow hitch on next week.

Joe

Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
wowwwwwwwww let me know i am very interested on how it works out for you good luck my friend.all i tell you i have a hitch but only use it for my biycle 3 bikes and full car i can feel her with that kind of load. 2000 lbs all i can say is breaks breaks breaks .

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
How far are you going with this trailer? If you are towing frequently, I would look into the integra front brake upgrade.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
According to the owner's manual, towing anything will void your warranty-at least here in the US.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by binaryh4x
How far are you going with this trailer? If you are towing frequently, I would look into the integra front brake upgrade.
slightly off topic but looking at your avatar, whats your setup? I'm looking to take some occasional trips and want to take my bike (95 zx6r, approx 800lbs) with me trailer hitched to the fit...
So, any suspension mods, braking, etc.?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
I would like to get a light flat trailer for going to home depot and to tow a motorcycle occasionally. I am getting the airshocks so my car doesnt drag the ground every time I have 4-5 people in it and of course a nice reese hitch.

Joe

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
As mentioned towing anything with the USDM GE8 will void your warranty according to the manual.

However
Originally Posted by FitStir
The specs sheet on the Australian Fit. Honda Jazz Specifications | 2009, 2008

Show the following #'s

Maximum towing capacity (kg) – trailer with brakes 1000 (man) and 800 (auto)
trailer without brakes 450 (man and auto)
downforce/tongue load 70

They also show a tow hitch ---> Honda Jazz Optional Extras & Body Kit | 2009, 2008

But I think it was discussed before that this wouldn't work with the USDM Fits. not 100% sure though.

Check these previous threads for more info, some people have already installed aftermarket hitches on the Fit. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-etrailer.html & https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...er-2009-a.html
From this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...-fit-help.html

Originally Posted by dzager
I have a 2009 Fit Sport Manual - about 7000 miles on it now. I just got back from a trip to the Florida Keys - 1500 miles one way. I towed my trailer I built on a Harbor Freight kit. Here is some info for you:

1. My trailer. Harbor Fright 4x8. I built a box on it that was 4 by 9 feet and 42 inches high - so it is about 4 inches below the roof line of the Fit. It weighs (with my box) 515 pounds unloaded. Loaded trailer weight was 950 pounds - toungue weight 125 pounds.

2. My son and I were on the trip About 350 pounds of people, another 100 pounds clothing, sleeping bags, etc. in the car). We took out the bigger back seat - put a good sized cooler there. One of us could sleep in the back comfortably.

3. Air shocks were at 90 pounds on the way there, and I went with 60 pounds on the way back. 90 gave noticably better handling, but stiff ride (felt bumps) (big rigs passing us didn't rock the rig). 60 was a better ride - but I felt it when we were passed by big rigs (smoother ride) (not bad - but had to steer to compensate).

4. Some roads have poured cement perpendicular to direction of travel. Sometimes these "scallop" with use and weather. This set up a bouncing oscillation that was uncomfortable and made me worry about the hitch. This happened to a lesser degree when I towed with my Honda Odyssey - and I never noticed it when towing with my full size Chevy van. The shorter wheel base tow vehicle is impacted greater. Thank goodness these were few and far between.

5. Plenty of power to tow this weight. Braking was adequate - felt the same as when I towed my 2,000 pound boat with the Odyssey. Would prefer trailer brakes - but I never worried about it.

6. With manual tranny, I had to downshift to 4th only when going over the mountains right before Chatanooga. Left it in 5th all the time. Engine temps never varried (I have a Scan Guage). Now, with an auto tranny I could see there might be problems towing this weight - it would probably down shift a lot. I don't know that I would tow that much with an Auto Fit - for sure I would have a Tranny temp guage, tranny cooler, and really watch it.

7. Mileage really proportionate to speed. At 55 mph got 35 mpg, 65 mph got 30 mpg (no wind and flats), down to 25 mpg with lots of hills and 15+ headwind (at 65 mph). I never went over 65. All of the above with the cruise control. Better mileage if you take it off cruise and coast down hill, allow up to 10 mph speed drop up hill, etc.

8. Hitch mounts and everything look fine - no frame dents or any sign that the hitch shifted in its mounts, etc. Handled the toungue weight and the bouncing, etc. no sweat. No loss of air in the shocks at all. Considering the goofy bouncing in some roads, I was pleased.

Coming back to Illinois we hit heavy rain, 20 mph headwinds, sleet, heavy snow, slop. Went through it all fine.

I think 1,000 pounds is a definite limitation without trailer brakes. I wouldn't tow a trailer that extends above the roof line or outside the width of the car - not enough horse power to over come the wind resistance. If you do tow this high profile - I can't see going over 55 mph (maybe even less).

All in all, it did fine. I was as confident with the Fit towing this 900+ pound trailer as I was towing my 2,000 pound boat with the Odyssey. I tow this trailer regularly during the summer at a loaded weight of about 700 pounds.
Read that entire thread (and the others too), and do a search of dzager's posts he has plenty of info regarding towing with a 2009 GE8.

I still want to know if that Australian tow hitch will work on our USDM Fits...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
slightly off topic but looking at your avatar, whats your setup? I'm looking to take some occasional trips and want to take my bike (95 zx6r, approx 800lbs) with me trailer hitched to the fit...
So, any suspension mods, braking, etc.?
Last I towed a bike, the only suspension mod I had done was Skunk2 lowering springs. I have towed my XR650L, which is probably about 400lbs, a Vulcan, no idea it's weight, without problem.

OP, have you checked out etrailer.com? They have a hitch for your car with drawbar for $130 and free shipping. I have never towed on stock springs so I don't know how bad the sag is.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
It's funny, but in other markets, Honda will allow the Fit to tow, but not in the U.S. I guess Honda trusts Australians and Europeans not to overdo things.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak, because I'd like to be able to trailer my Harley the 40 miles or so to a shop if it needs work I can't do myself. This might be only once every couple of years or so, but it would be nice to have the option. I estimate the total wight would be in the 850 pound range. That's why I'm interested in these threads.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah a bike will be no problem at all. Although, if its a Harley, it'll be more like once every couple of months.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know about that, my '94 Softail has 151,000 miles on it, and generally only sees a shop for tire changes. All other maintenance, and most other repairs I do myself (I even laced my own wheels). The motor was rebuilt once at 90,000 as a consequence of a lifter failure.

It will someday need another drive belt change or new steering head bearings-normal wear stuff when you ride 10,000 miles/year.

My goal is to put 1/4 million miles on that bike. Then, I'll set a new goal.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-21-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 PM
towing motorcycle with Honda Fit

I decided to tow my Harbor Freight folding trailer with a motorcycle on top. I towed it 4 hours away through mostly flat land, but some of the roads were very hilly.

My tow hitch is capable of towing 2000 lbs, but can only handle 200 lbs tongue weight. Tongue weight is the downward weight on the hitch, as if you were standing on the ball. Therefore, I shouldn't stand on the hitch!

I weighed my tongue using a bathroom scale with bike loaded on trailer at 80 lbs. That was good, because I'm well under. 2000 lb max towing: trailer is about 300 lbs, motorcycle 400 lbs, leaving plenty of cushion.

The trailer wasn't perfectly level, but this is acceptable given it tows well and there is no stress on the actual ball/hitch connection. You would also want to make sure there isn't too much weight on the tongue in a downward pitch.

The Fit takes a bit longer to get up to speed and stop of course, but once moving along its not working very hard. I did get caught in some insane hills for about an hour or so and it was working. But overall it tows very well.

I paid about $300 for the hitch with installation. Harbor Freight trailer is pretty good value for under $300.

I've also towed some things around town with this Fit/trailer combo and all is good!

My plan is to treat the car to fluid changes and regular maintenance on schedule to prevent any added wear and tear that might occur from this towing.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ jdelv, is that the trailer that folds?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
trailer folds

Originally Posted by FitStir
^^^ jdelv, is that the trailer that folds?
Yes, it is the trailer that folds. I keep it against the wall in the garage. It only sticks out 2' from the wall when rolled up against. Being able to store the trailer in the garage keeps it in good condition and isn't an eyesore in your driveway.

Tips if you buy the HF trailer:
-I used pressure treated plywood, 3/8", and carriage bolts to bolt it down. I suggest using at least 10-12 bolts per side (front and rear are separate pieces of wood for folding, but you can cut one 4'x8' piece of plywood)
-Take your time wiring the trailer, and wire it folded upright. Leave slack and consider fold points so you route wires so they don't pinch. I originally did a lame job with wiring and fought with the wires until I re-wired with care.
-Use YouTube videos to learn how to open and close. I almost killed myself before using this technique (there are other ways too) (he uses a piece of rope, I use a ratcheting tie down strap with hook on each end, goes right in the end-metal things that hold side fencing 2x4's):
-Buy the tongue wheel assembly. I didn't have this at first and it was hard to move this trailer around the driveway, etc. With the third front wheel it's a simple job, well worth the $$$.
-I spray WD40 on the caster wheels after several uses, they are cheesy design, but regularly lubing them they work fine.
-Mount the license plate so it swings. Otherwise it will get in the way folded up pushing towards wall or bend/break off during fold up/down. You can see what having it mounted fixed (bends it) in the video above.
-There are grease fittings on the axle to grease the bearings and hub of wheels. Make sure you do this because it is a cheaper Chinese made assembly and you should keep this point lubed and maintained.
-My trailer has 4 bolt 12" rims. These are good wheels. I have seen these tires de-laminate, so I plan on having a spare with me.

Contact me if you have any questions about the Harbor Freight trailer or towing with the Fit.

Last edited by jdelv; 10-21-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

It looks great, thanks for sharing.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Fit hitch

A few manufactures make a hitch for the Fit:
honda Fit Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com
here's an installation video
A simpler one for very light duty(bike rack/etc)
Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 24776
This last one is EASY install- it uses factory threaded holes & the 'tow hook' already on the car.
If youre going to tow a trailer that needs lights, you can get a wiring adapter for vehicles that have separate bulbs for brake & turn lights.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
This is my favorite hitch solution... I like it so much, I'm contemplating doing that mod along with a JDM Noblesse v2 rear swap.
Originally Posted by Dookoo
I made a custom 2" receiver hitch to haul my motorcycles and for my bike rack. To answer your question, yes, they do make adapters to go from 1 1/4" to 2". You can get one online or even from Harbor Freight. The aftermarket hitch from Curt Manufacturing appears to be the strongest of the ones available. I did not use an aftermarket hitch because of how low they hang down and I frequently drive over very steep driveways and rutted dirt roads.

Took the Yakima bike rack off my STI and mounted it on my custom 2" receiver hitch

Lowered Fit 1 1/2" front and 1" rear. Why the Coca-Cola bottle opener? Because I had one laying around the shop.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
There was a poster here and it was about 9 months ago he started a thread. He lived in Virginia and accepted a new job in San Fransisco. He had Uhaul install a trailer hitch and he rented a 5x8 closed trailer.
He describes the whole trip and what it was like. I remember following the thread.
I'm sure you could find this thread as it would give you an idea of what to expect.