General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Towing with the FIT HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Towing with the FIT HELP

Hey guys i looked and looked but could not find what i was looking for. How much weight can a 08 fit tow with out giving it problems. I am trying to buy a boat but not sure if i should look into geting a used truck to or will the fit be able to tow it thanks oh and its not a big boat maybe a 10-12 ft boat. Thanks guys for the help

Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Subscribed... I have a 12 ft rowboat I'm working on and am interested in this.

I know a company (curt?) makes a hitch that fits the GD3 but I don't know its capacity. A 12' boat on a trailer can be balanced to 20-25 lb tongue weight so that's not the issue, it's the 200 lb trailer and whether it will hold together on hard stops.

As for putting it in the water... as long as the ramp isn't too shallow (and the rear end of the car goes in the water) it should be alright for traction provided the ramp isn't anything but dirt underwater.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The tow capacity should be in your manual.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned
The manual says that the Fit can't be used for towing.

That doesn't mean that you can't tow anything with it. No one makes anything other than a Class I hitch for the Fit, all of which have a 200 pound tongue weight limit. Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 has at least 2, maybe 3 brands of hitches for the Fit. There are several posts on the Hidden Hitch brand.

Towing a boat probably is not the best idea. The tall vertical sides of a boat will have a dangerous effect on your handling in cross winds. If you develop brake or transmission problems, warranty will probably be denied unless you remove the hitch and trailer wiring before trying to get warranty repairs, unless you're a good liar. "I only use the hitch for a bike rack". "OK, then why the trailer light wiring stuck in your spare tire well?".

Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys i did not see that in my manual any where. Dam it looks like i will be looking into a used truck too than or maybe trading the fit in for a new truck. But i just love the fit for its great gas millage, cheap insurance, and great versatility inside and fun car to drive.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Thanks guys i did not see that in my manual any where. Dam it looks like i will be looking into a used truck too than or maybe trading the fit in for a new truck. But i just love the fit for its great gas millage, cheap insurance, and great versatility inside and fun car to drive.
Hey 08-
Don't give up so easily. Be prepared for trouble when towing your boat, but the Hidden Hitch justifies itself by the added rear end reinforcement. I keep the draw bar and ball in place on my GE8 all the time for rear end protection from parking lot idiots. It would not occur to me to tow a boat simply because I don't own one, but I may invest in a kayak to be towed instead of roof mounted.

If you are conservative and very careful in your towing adventures, you may be OK. Fits are used for towing all over Europe with no warranty issues that I have been able to find on the forums. If you can carry four, 200+ pound people plus luggage in your car with you without destroying the tranny or brakes, careful towing should be no problem.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ That's what I was thinking. +reps.

If it's sold with an optional tow hitch in Europe, and other countries, we should be able to tow lighter things. Trying to find more info on the other countries towing.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
The specs sheet on the Australian Fit. Honda Jazz Specifications | 2009, 2008

Show the following #'s

Maximum towing capacity (kg) – trailer with brakes 1000 (man) and 800 (auto)
trailer without brakes 450 (man and auto)
downforce/tongue load 70

They also show a tow hitch ---> Honda Jazz Optional Extras & Body Kit | 2009, 2008

But I think it was discussed before that this wouldn't work with the USDM Fits. not 100% sure though.

Check these previous threads for more info, some people have already installed aftermarket hitches on the Fit. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-etrailer.html & https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...er-2009-a.html

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned
Thanks for the info. FitStir. Those specs sure bring into focus the extreme limitations of the Fit for towing. Depending on the trailer weight, a kayak or canoe would work, but a big rowboat, probably not (figuring in the added instability of the boat's "sail area" in winds dragging the Fit around). "Tail wagging the dog".

Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm i was looking at a kayak with a motor so hmm i might try this and see how it goes

Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Ah forgot about this thread

It's only 3 miles to the lake I fish at, and I don't ever have to do more than 40-45 mph, so judging by this it would be ok. Rural roads and lots of trees for wind cover.

At those speeds it would have to be really windy to pull the car around. It's not much of a boat (even though it was made during Eisenhower's presidency).

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Maximum towing capacity (kg) – trailer with brakes 1000 (man) and 800 (auto)
trailer without brakes 450 (man and auto)
downforce/tongue load 70
I'm not sure how much some of these smaller boats weigh, but since the #'s are in kg, 450kg = 990lbs for a trailer without brakes sounds like it would do for a smaller boat. No? But then again according to the Honda US manual it will void your warranty.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Hey guys i looked and looked but could not find what i was looking for. How much weight can a 08 fit tow with out giving it problems. I am trying to buy a boat but not sure if i should look into geting a used truck to or will the fit be able to tow it thanks oh and its not a big boat maybe a 10-12 ft boat. Thanks guys for the help

I have towed about 500 lb on a TractorSupply trialer (the ca $300 one) for short distances at rural highways at speeds to 45 mph, but my Fit is equipped with 4 wheel disc brakes and Monroe MA811 AirLift rear shocks to handle the extra rear trailer tongue load.
I also towed a small trailer with my Geo metro xFi but it too had the AirLift shocks, and the springs from a Suzuki Swift GTi. As long as load was low I got away with towing a lot of stuff, including cinderblocks, wheels and tires, whole engine assemblies. From 1989 to 2008. Yes traded on the Fit. Sure miss that 50 mpg though but the Fit is much nicer in my old age.
I would not recommend towing anything more than a bicycle trailer with a Fit not so improved.
You may note in the owner manual that any kind of trailering is NOT recommended.
If your boat is a big canoe or small skiff you may get by as well but if it has a engine (not a trolling motor) you best not.
My stock Fit when tried without the shocks was quite squirrelly. Especially turning and braking.
Hope that helps.
PS go to the suspension posts to see how some have done thwe shocks. Its well within DUY capability.

Last edited by mahout; 01-21-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Ok I did some looking and found an older thread on this.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...owing-fit.html

While I would call it an unjustifiable risk, look at post 51 on page 3.

I will tow that boat the first time with 36001 miles on the odometer.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Go buy an early 90s Silverado for a $1000 or so.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I just added a Curt Receiver hitch and plan on pulling a dual sport 250cc Motorcycle on a 40"x49" harbor freight trailer. I have some low quality pics of this project if anyone wants to see. I'll post back later once I actually try driving with it. I used to tow a 8'x6' trailer with a mini bass boat (8') with a chevy metro 1.0 liter 3cylinder. That did perfectly fine. One hour each way to the lake. Never a problem.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StillHaveaFit!
I just added a Curt Receiver hitch and plan on pulling a dual sport 250cc Motorcycle on a 40"x49" harbor freight trailer. I have some low quality pics of this project if anyone wants to see. I'll post back later once I actually try driving with it. I used to tow a 8'x6' trailer with a mini bass boat (8') with a chevy metro 1.0 liter 3cylinder. That did perfectly fine. One hour each way to the lake. Never a problem.
Definitely post pics.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned
Boy, that kind of puts things in a better perspective. The Metro is almost the equivalent of a bicycle (jk)!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member

I too towed with my 89 Geo Metro but found it neessary to beef up the rear. (see prior post) for our use. I think you should do the same even though the Fit being heavier is not so easy to overload. And I have a TS triler for my Fit, too.
I'd say put the hitch on and give a test run. If it's not comfortable, add the AirLifts.

Last edited by mahout; 01-21-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
But...

I think the car will do just fine for this. The risk you take is betting your bike on a trailer from Harbor Freight, home of total-crap cheap-ass tools. (Actually I think their store brand is called Crapsman. Or should be.)

Quick Reply: Towing with the FIT HELP