General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by RedAndy
Agree 100%. Either SMG or CVT would be fine with me. Why Honda didn't use the CVT it already had instead of putting in a traditional AT just for North America is beyond me.

I think even the Versa dropped the AT and now offers only MT or CVT options. I read that the AT option was a stopgap until they could ramp up production capacity for their CVT......
I'm sure the Honda CVTs are fine, but I like the Honda 5AT. I've actually driven a Saturn ION with a CVT, but GM had some issues with it, which is why they stopped using them after 2 years and then switched back to the Hydramatic 4AT, which was much better.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I'm sure the Honda CVTs are fine, but I like the Honda 5AT. I've actually driven a Saturn ION with a CVT, but GM had some issues with it, which is why they stopped using them after 2 years and then switched back to the Hydramatic 4AT, which was much better.
Well, that's GM for you . The Honda 5AT is fine - very good actually, since you get 5 gears instead of the usual 4 in this segment. and if you want to play there's always the paddles on the Sport.

I just think that their CVT is probably better, since a) It's been in use around the world for several years, and b) It's a Honda. I can't help but think they did the traditional AT in the US it because they thought this market wasn't ready for CVT.

All this being said, I've never driven a CVT Fit/Jazz, so this is all just speculation on my part......

Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned
wrong section.. and get manual!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I personally like the AT. Driving to work is a drain when you have traffic. You can use paddle shifters in the city and get a similar feel of an manual. And, in the long run you won't have to flush your transmission fluid as often and you don't have to replace a clutch!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I suspect Honda didn't use the CVT because they were trying to keep costs down and figured Americans really aren't going to care. A 5AT is still competitive in this segment (especially when you offer the sport shifting thingy) though when you consider Toyota is still using 4 spd automatics in several of its entry level cars. I'm sure the 5AT is a good unit. Honda doesn't build junk. I also don't expect to see SMG/SMT in a $15,000 car!

I still like the good old fashioned manual though. Even if it seems to be going the way of the dinosaur, it's still the simplest and most durable thing out there and gives you direct control and I like a direct connection between the engine and wheels so energy isn't wasted spinning up a tq converter.

Look at a cross-section of an automatic transmission vs a manual sometime. The automatic has got to be one of the, if not the, most complicated single part in the entire car. It's a wonder they are as reliable as they are in the first place!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
It seems only in the US is the standard tranny "going the way of the dinosaurs". Rental cars here are ATs. As far as I know, most, if not all, renal cars in Europe are MTs.

MT FTW. I went from AT to MT and I hope to never look back (unless, down the road of adulthood, I need to get a minivan or truck. But those are exceptions)

Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Ditto what you said about the AT. I would have definitely gone MT several years back. To think how far the AT has come since even 2000. Geez!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by rpboy06
I personally like the AT. Driving to work is a drain when you have traffic. You can use paddle shifters in the city and get a similar feel of an manual. And, in the long run you won't have to flush your transmission fluid as often and you don't have to replace a clutch!
I agree. AT is much better when you have to deal with traffic, and Dallas traffic and drivers are no exception. I wouldn't mind trying a manual, but in the end, AT is MY best bet.

Also, I like the fact that Honda put a 5-speed AT in the Fit as opposed to a 4-speed like most other small cars. Some people here think the Fit needs a 6 speed AT, but I think that's overkill.