General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Egged!! Repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Egged!! Repair suggestions?

Hi all! I just took delivery of my new 2008 Fit two weeks ago, and last night, some dork decided it would be funny to throw an egg at my car. I did not know it until this morning, and I washed it off thoroughly. Fortunately, it doesn't look as though there was any discoloration of the paint, but the shell did leave the typical circular pattern of damaged spots on the driver's side passenger door.

I'm not very knowlegdable about car detailing, would any of you guys have some tips on how I can cheaply repair this egg damage? Many thanks!!!

Name:  eggdamage.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  7.4 KB

Old 05-24-2008, 06:53 PM
If clear coat polish can'r remove it you may need some 2000-2500 wet sanding followed by clear coat polish then wax.
No biggie. I have to use 2000 wet sanding on my wifes bumpers now and then.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
wow how childish, sorry to hear the bad news. hopefully somebody can give you some good tips.

good luck!

Old 05-24-2008, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
The first thing I would try is cleaning the marking with a clay bar. It should do the trick..Good luck

Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
There has been a rash of eggings from different locations guess some people have no constructive way to manage their time. Sorry this happened to you and clay baring would be a good place to start. It should lift out any gunk that the washing left behind. Let us know how it turns out for you. Check out Meguiars forum on the web and do a search. There are some of the best detail guys out there on that forum and they are always helpful.

Cat :x

Old 05-24-2008, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
hey sorry to hear that, if some one eggs my Fit
they better hope i dont find them.... i would recomend the clay bar... meguiers products really are amazing, i use their tech wax 2.0 and it does a damn good job a masking a few scrapes i have on my lip

Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would try some polish and if it doesn't come off i'd probably either
live with it or have it professionally repaired (as in re-painted). but
as posted above, if you decide to have it professionally repaired,
might as well practice some wet sanding. i use a 2000grit block
and finish off with near 3000grit compound (polish).

egg shell impact is usually pretty intense.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Dunno if clay bar would be enough, it might be a wet sanding and repaint job. We'll see. I know some car guys who could give me some advice. At least I got rid of the egg.

I guess some people just get jealous when they see someone's new car parked outside *shrug*. Anyway, thanks all for the advice you've given!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 AM
Banned
Don't sand it yet simply use some rubbing compound if polish doesn't get it off. You may be able to "Scrape" some of those spots off one by one CAREFULLY picking at them with the end of a wooden toothpick then the polish. But you are still going to have the little dent unless you can get behind it and push it out by hand.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Don't sand it yet simply use some rubbing compound if polish doesn't get it off. You may be able to "Scrape" some of those spots off one by one CAREFULLY picking at them with the end of a wooden toothpick then the polish. But you are still going to have the little dent unless you can get behind it and push it out by hand.
These aren't spots, they're actually pits already. Probably means some touch-up paint is needed. The egg shell really did a number on the paint.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
that sucks a lot, mine got egged a couple weeks ago too. and it also left a nice circle of scratch marks

something about the MRs i guess, it attracts the egg-wielding jerks.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
that sucks a lot, mine got egged a couple weeks ago too. and it also left a nice circle of scratch marks

something about the MRs i guess, it attracts the egg-wielding jerks.
I Dunno if it's the fact that it's red, or the fact that it's new, or that it's Japanese, or what. I just hope it's a VERY isolated incident.

It's a definate touch-up job to repair the paint. The kid that did it must have chucked that egg as hard as he could from a few feet away to do that to the paint. He better hope I don't catch him doin' it again!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Well folks, looks like it's a repaint job for sure. I took it to the shop at the dealer and they confirmed it. But they're going to hook me up with the guy who does their cosmetic repairs for them (evidently little dings and scratches happen on car lots all the time). hopefully that will be all that's needed.

Thanks for the support guys!