General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

My Fit is Cursed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
My Fit is Cursed!

I'm finally convinced my Fit is cursed, after my wife has been telling me that for months. Here's why:

1. In November 2007, I hit a deer at about 70 mph (see https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-talk/18284-deer.html). $7500 worth of damage, my insurance covered all but my $500 deductible (since lowered to $100) and the $150 car rental for 33 days.

2. In January 2008, my wife was stopped at a light and got rear-ended. The other person's insurance company paid us about $900 for damages, plus a $450 settlement for injuries to my wife. See https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-pay-down.html

3. As mentioned at the end of the above post, in May as my wife was picking up the car from the dealership (yes it took me a while to address the first rear-end), she was once again rear-ended. The damage was minimal, but the woman who hit her then fled. Several people called the cops, but in the end, despite them having her license plate number, the trail just...ended. The officer said the plate number was a dead end. Anyway, my wife wasn't so lucky this time, hurting her back and shoulder. Due to the inability to locate the at-fault party, our insurance company is paying for doctor (chiropractor) visits, which are indeed helping. (Those who do not think much of chiropractors need not respond.)

4. Today, we stopped at the supermarket and were inside for 30 minutes. When we came out and I walked to the back of the car, I saw that someone had scraped the rear passenger corner of the car, in a circle about 9 inches across. Some of the scrape was their paint, some was mine scraped off all the way to the metal (fiberglass?/plastic?).

This dent really appears a lot worse than it is, since you are not really seeing the dent itself, but the reflections being distorted around it:

(Sorry, these pictures are from my cell phone.)

Since there are cameras in the lot, I went inside to ask if the security cameras picked anything up, and was told only the police could look at the videos. I called the police, and an officer came out and took a report, and told me that even if the cameras picked up my car (they all appear to point in the opposite direction), the other car's license plate would almost certainly be obscured by other cars in the lot. So it will be either up to me personally, or up to my insurance company to pay for this damage. I may report this to my insurance company, but first I want to find out if my rates will go up (we're already paying $1400 every 6 months for my Fit and my wife's 2005 Scion tC).

Technically, I still have the $800 or so left over from incident #2, and since that was for a NEW bumper, repairing (repainting) it "should" cost much less.

I love my Fit, but it does seem cursed. With gas hitting $4/gal, and my Fit only getting 25 mpg, I'm about ready to trade in for a Prius!

Last edited by LizardKing; 05-25-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I'm finally convinced my Fit is cursed, after my wife has been telling me that for months. Here's why:

1. In November 2007, I hit a deer at about 70 mph (see https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-talk/18284-deer.html). $7500 worth of damage, my insurance covered all but my $500 deductible (since lowered to $100) and the $150 car rental for 33 days.

2. In January 2008, my wife was stopped at a light and got rear-ended. The other person's insurance company paid us about $900 for damages, plus a $450 settlement for injuries to my wife. See https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-pay-down.html

3. As mentioned at the end of the above post, in May as my wife was picking up the car from the dealership (yes it took me a while to address the first rear-end), she was once again rear-ended. The damage was minimal, but the woman who hit her then fled. Several people called the cops, but in the end, despite them having her license plate number, the trail just...ended. The officer said the plate number was a dead end. Anyway, my wife wasn't so lucky this time, hurting her back and shoulder. Due to the inability to locate the at-fault party, our insurance company is paying for doctor (chiropractor) visits, which are indeed helping. (Those who do not think much of chiropractors need not respond.)

4. Today, we stopped at the supermarket and were inside for 30 minutes. When we came out and I walked to the back of the car, I saw that someone had scraped the rear passenger corner of the car, in a circle about 9 inches across. Some of the scrape was their paint, some was mine scraped off all the way to the metal (fiberglass?/plastic?). Since there are cameras in the lot, I went inside to ask if the security cameras picked anything up, and was told only the police could look at the videos. I called the police, and an officer came out and took a report, and told me that even if the cameras picked up my car (they all appear to point in the opposite direction), the other car's license plate would almost certainly be obscured by other cars in the lot. So it will be either up to me personally, or up to my insurance company to pay for this damage. I may report this to my insurance company, but fisrt I want to find out if my rates will go up (we're already paying $1400 every 6 months for my Fit and my wife's 2005 Scion tC).

Technically, I still have the $800 or so left over from incident #2, and since that was for a NEW bumper, repairing (repainting) it "should" cost much less.

I love my Fit, but it does seem cursed. With gas hitting $4/gal, and my Fit only getting 25 mpg, I'm about ready to trade in for a Prius!
Do not Get a Prius... Life is Not that Bad Dude!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by zRollerskate
Do not Get a Prius... Life is Not that Bad Dude!
I have not heard anything negative about Priuses.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Retired Moderator
Dude im so sorry to hear this. It does seem as though your Fit is cursed.
09 anyone?????!!

Tyler

Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TOOL
Dude im so sorry to hear this. It does seem as though your Fit is cursed.
09 anyone?????!!

Tyler
Then he would be overly cursed..... Just driving the 09 Fit is hell.

Sorry about you luck and the car. I bet your Fit isnt going to be worth much as a trade in due to its history.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Then he would be overly cursed..... Just driving the 09 Fit is hell.

Sorry about you luck and the car. I bet your Fit isnt going to be worth much as a trade in due to its history.
What's wrong with the 09 Fit?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
first run of the second gen.
dangerous. still needs time to work out the kinks.
+the styling is a little off. its far too long. personal opinion of course.
I've imagined soccer moms trading in their oddeseys for the 09' fit countless times.

before giving up I would question the situations you;ve experienced. was your wife at a stop when she was rear ended? was the car parked in a safe area of the lot? I'm trying to question these things with the utmost respect towards your grief mind you.

the Prius is an awesome car though, if you cruise at 40mph you never turn on the engine, and at the right pace you can achieve 50+mpg. the price is the downside, at roughly 24k before TTL its a large dent(no pun intended), and when the replacement battery is needed your looking at a straight 1k spent.

I'd fix the fit and look into selling it for another fit, you may come out with more money than what you sold for(with some dealers getting their fits out for sept). not to mention it would solve problems with long-term damage that may have been caused to the fit through the accidents.

better luck to you sir'

Last edited by F033x; 05-26-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by F033x
first run of the second gen.
dangerous. still needs time to work out the kinks.
+the styling is a little off. its far too long. personal opinion of course.
I've imagined soccer moms trading in their oddeseys for the 09' fit countless times.

before giving up I would question the situations you;ve experienced. was your wife at a stop when she was rear ended? was the car parked in a safe area of the lot? I'm trying to question these things with the utmost respect towards your grief mind you.

the Prius is an awesome car though, if you cruise at 40mph you never turn on the engine, and at the right pace you can achieve 50+mpg. the price is the downside, at roughly 24k before TTL its a large dent(no pun intended), and when the replacement battery is needed your looking at a straight 1k spent.

I'd fix the fit and look into selling it for another fit, you may come out with more money than what you sold for(with some dealers getting their fits out for sept). not to mention it would solve problems with long-term damage that may have been caused to the fit through the accidents.

better luck to you sir'
i mean no disrespect towards the prius... i just like to be able to control my car... not hope my car lets me control it... if you use the dfco ability with our fits we can easily achieve 40+ mpg... i hit 38 in the city continuously... i say keep the fit and fix it... as long as there is no frame dmg... they cant possibly hold it against you if none of the "accidents" were your fault... glad you and the wifey are ok tho

Old 05-26-2008, 06:28 AM
25 MPG? I have a 07 Fit Sport MT and a 06 SI. The 07 Fit gets an average 38 mpg Highway, 33 mpg combined. The SI gets 31 MPG highway, 27 mpg combined. I don't understand why your getting such low MPG in that little engine? Have you had it checked out?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i had a 94 red civicEX coupe looong time ago which was cursed. it was
a parking lot accident magnet. rear-ended, door dented (not a ding,
big dent) twice..then got hit by an old license plate that was kicked up
by a car driving in front of me leaving behind a nice $500 dent and
12" scratch, dinged over and dinged again.

i sold the car after 1.5yrs. car itself was nice but i didnt want to deal
with insurance and crap any more. ever since, i never bought a
red car again.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Cursed is a fitting(no pun intended) term, to say the least. Hope your wife is okay.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by F033x

The deer jumped out at me on the PA turnpike in complete darkness. I saw it about a half a second before I hit it. The speed limit was 65, so going 70 was not excessive

In both rear rear-end collisions, my wife was completely stopped, and said she looked into the rear-view mirror and said to herself, that car isn't going to stop and is going to hit me.

In the parking lot, there weren't many cars around me. I had pulled through a spot to the one across from it so I was facing out. As we approached the car, I remarked to my wife that I had pulled up too far and was sticking out a little. If I hadn't pulled up so far, the damage would likely have been worse. Whoever hit me also
let no note, not even an "Oops, sorry!" let alone any insurance information.

I know about the Prius. On my commute to work, if I get to 40mph, I'm speeding, and averaging 3 stoplights each mile (34 lights in 10 miles), a stop will be imminent. I figure this type of commute is killing the mileage in my Fit and would make a Prius very happy. I'd be looking for a used Prius (2005-7) for under $20K, not a new one.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
25 MPG? I have a 07 Fit Sport MT and a 06 SI. The 07 Fit gets an average 38 mpg Highway, 33 mpg combined. The SI gets 31 MPG highway, 27 mpg combined. I don't understand why your getting such low MPG in that little engine? Have you had it checked out?
No one will look at it. My independent mechanic even told me the car is smart enough that it will report if something is wrong. It's not reporting anything, so therefore nothing is wrong.

The dealership has told me that it would go up when I changed the oil. Two oil changes later, and I'm still getting about the same mpg.

As an aside, I did get my highest mpg result ever yesterday, having gone 253.7 miles and the attendant putting in 8.143 gallons, for an mpg of 31.156. However, I got gas in New Jersey where its the law for them to pump it for you, and they pump it differently than I do (I let the tank fill slowly, and get more in; they blast it in as fast as it goes and therefore get less in) so the mpg figure isn't meaningful. The last time I was in the same situation and they pumped the gas for me, my mpg was only 29.27, so it HAS improved.

I've read all the mileage threads on here and I must say that heavy acceleration did indeed decrease my mileage somewhat. Shifting at about 4500 RPM only gave me about 22 mpg, shifting at 3500 RPM has given me anywhere between 25 and 29 mpg, and shifting as soon as possible has given me anywhere from 23 to 27. It would appear that shifting around 3500 is optimal.

Anyway, this is actually on-topic, as the low mpg is simply another form of the curse on it.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
must b karma...

Old 05-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
O man sorry to hear about all that. I think there are some vehicles out there that are "idiot magnets" as my parents called it. My parents bought a Van and in the time we had it it was rear ended twice, backed into at a stoplight, then the women tried to run. and hit head on by a school bus (every one in the Van was fine) Before my parents got the van they never had accident or where involved in one, or since they got rid of it no accidents. So basically what I'm trying to say is......your Fit is cursed.

Last edited by MNfit; 05-26-2008 at 06:59 PM.