General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Lessons learnt during my week w/o a car

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Lessons learnt during my week w/o a car

Anyway as some of you know, my car is at the shop because someone broke into it. I already bike/electric train to work so I don't need a car to work. But in other commute situations, I learned different tactics I find useful. All in all, my week w/o a fit made me greener. Here are the tips I learned to get around with life

1. Carpool.
I carpool to go to my gym, which is the only place I cannot bike or take the train to.

2. Shop locally
I used to shop in south san francisco, which is around 15 miles away from home, because I prefer the pak n save over my local groceries. Although local groceries are inferior, it's not significant. Sure I can't get cherry tomatoes, but I can get almost anything else. I'll get cherry tomatoes or fancy mushrooms when I carpool with someone going there.

3. Bike bike bike
it seems I'm not the only one biking. On my way to work, I notice a LOT of people now bike and take the train. sometimes I can't find a seat--and both my job and my home are at endpoints of the map! I'm glad I got a folding bike, I think everyone should. I see more bikes on the road. My bro got into it. I hope many fit guys here try biking.

I saw a video on CNN a guy bikes 42 miles one way, initially as a one time thing, for a challenge. Now he does it regularly. His commute is 3 hours. Although this is unhealthy b/c of long term damage, it goes to show how manageable biking is to most people's commutes. It used to take like 10 min to go to my local mall. If I bike, it's 20 min (it's faster than you'd think cuz the bike path has no traffic). Is 10 additional min of my time and a tiny sweat really that big of a deal?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Gordio

3. Bike bike bike
it seems I'm not the only one biking. On my way to work, I notice a LOT of people now bike

This is a great idea; you get excercise and get where you're trying to go, however it is highly location dependent. Some of us live in areas where the only connection to the cities/places of employment/grocery stores/restaurants are highways or roads that are dangerous to take a bike on (most of the time there is a sign upon entrance to these saying 'motor vehicles only')

If you live in an area where many things are close by, bike away!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by storm88000
This is a great idea; you get excercise and get where you're trying to go, however it is highly location dependent. Some of us live in areas where the only connection to the cities/places of employment/grocery stores/restaurants are highways or roads that are dangerous to take a bike on (most of the time there is a sign upon entrance to these saying 'motor vehicles only')

If you live in an area where many things are close by, bike away!
The Lehigh Valley has a bigger problem for bicyclists - imported drivers from NY and NJ. I went to Lehigh U and my brother lives in Macungie. He said with the big influx of folks from NJ and NY in the last couple of years, the driving habits have taken a huge turn for the worse. Combine that with no bike paths and twisty narrow roads - makes the Lehigh Valley rather unfriendly to cyclists.

Other than that, it's a beautiful place!!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
You didn't 'learnt' anything. You 'learned'

Anyway, my boss rides his bike to work probably 3 days a week, but probably only 8 miles one way. I live about 23 miles from work, and though I'm sure with some riding to build up my endurance, I could ride that distance... I just wouldn't want to.

I am however thinking of two wheeled transportation. Sure, I'm getting 34mpg (just got 37 this last tank) in the Fit, but if gas prices do continue to go north, an inexpensive bike or large scooter that gets 60-70mpg could suffice a few days a week and save me a few gallons of gas in the process.

Last edited by Fray Adjacent; 06-02-2008 at 10:36 AM.