General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

WTH is the clicking Noise while going in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
WTH is the clicking Noise while going in Reverse

Does anyone hear a clicking noise in the engine bay when going in reverse, its not a constant clicking noise, but it happens once in a while when going into reverse

I took it into honda dealership and they told me they found nothing wrong

I really hope its not the transmission...have anyone else had the same problem

Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 AM
i dont know but every time i put my bish in drive it clicks but its did that from the dealer and even the other fit i test drove clicked going into drive >.< first AT car lol do thay all do this ?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
if i'm not mistaken, i think its an engine mount issue, my a/t does it sometimes too, and my 06 civic did it all the time.

i think there has only been one member who had to replace his mounts because of it and i think it was koolkevin.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Banned
Is it just the normal reverse sound of a FF car? All FF honda's make a different sound in reverse due to the reverse gears in the transmission being straight cut...

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 PM
iHardpark
my car makes no such noise you should go back to the dealer and have it re checked dude

Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17
Is it just the normal reverse sound of a FF car? All FF honda's make a different sound in reverse due to the reverse gears in the transmission being straight cut...
^^
he's right

-Ricky

Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
like a click click click sound?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
i get a clicking sound when, from a cold start, i reverse out of my parking spot, shift into 1st, then WHAM! once i hit the brake, there's a click. only when i hit the brake for the first time moving foward, though. happens every time. i can do it every time now. i thought it was the trans at first, but now i'm not so sure. anyone else have this symptom?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yeamans17

is this true for ALL ff honda's? my 01 civic ex coupe never did that. only the newer honda's i've had.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
I've recently noticed this as well. It happens when I reverse out then switch to D. I hear a click as soon as my car starts to roll forward. Everything else seems to run fine.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I get a click noise when I shift into D. I'll ask what the deal is when I go to get my oil changed soon.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I get the same noise also...its not to be mistaken with the whirring noise all honda' make when driving in reverse and accelerating (THIS is due to the straight cut).

The click happens just after backing out with R and shifting into D. There is that regular moment when the AT goes to D and just before you get rolling (or sometimes just after) you'll hear a light click.

If anyone finds out the source I'm sure the whole community would be appreciative. These Honda Dealership couldnt give a rat's ass about this since there isnt any repair $$$ to be made....yet

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Also to add..I've read elsewhere this may have to do with two things:

1) the brakes (something about adjusting when reversing)
2) directional pressure (not sure about this one)

We need a Honda Engineer, that drives a fit (or an engineering student with same) to help us out here...

Old 12-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no clicking sound on either of my GD or GE in reverse. something's wrong.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
Click / Clunk

My father works at Honda, I have a 07 Fit Sport with auto trans, it has done it since mile one. He says its no big deal. Its somehow part of the process of going into gear. I never had it on my 90 accord, so it worried me at first... but after 112,000 miles with no trans issues of any kind... I dont think its a problem.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
Also to add..I've read elsewhere this may have to do with two things:

1) the brakes (something about adjusting when reversing)
2) directional pressure (not sure about this one)

We need a Honda Engineer, that drives a fit (or an engineering student with same) to help us out here...
^you got it

it sounds like you guys are talking about this, which is completely normal. Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

here's some other FAQs Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site straight from Honda's official website too

Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Same thing has been happening the entire life of my 94 accord as well as in my 09 Fit.

If I remember correctly, Honda uses "floating" brake calipers which is what causes the clicking noise when going from reverse to forwards and vice versa.

The reason you hear it when going to reverse almost immediately is because most people cover their brake pedal, thus engaging the brakes very quickly, while reversing so they think it is the transmission actually causing the noise but really the calipers are re-centering themselves.

You may not always hear it when going from reverse to forward because the caliper wont re-center itself until you get down the road to the first stop sign/light, you may hear it if it is a very quiet street.

Hope that helps.

Clay

Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackdot_fit
i get a clicking sound when, from a cold start, i reverse out of my parking spot, shift into 1st, then WHAM! once i hit the brake, there's a click. only when i hit the brake for the first time moving foward, though. happens every time. i can do it every time now. i thought it was the trans at first, but now i'm not so sure. anyone else have this symptom?

If it is what I think it is, you have no worries. It's normal brake noise. Normal if you have disc brakes, that is. The pads are shifting a little in the caliper. If it is a "new" noise, it's because the pads have worn enough to create some room to move in.