General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clicking/chirping noise from wheel or drivetrain.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Clicking/chirping noise from wheel or drivetrain.

Have any of you had this same problem I am currently having?

Description: Clicking/ticking noise from the left(?) side of car when car is in motion at all speeds above about 10kph... one click per wheel revolution... regardless of whether the car is at constant speed, accelerating, coasting, braking, turning or going straight. Most easily heard with the driver's window open and travelling at 20kph to 40kph.

Onset conditions: Noise is absent when starting out cold. Noise starts after a few brake applications and the hubs are warm. Noise disappears when driving if the brakes are not used for a few minutes and the hubs cool. The noise does NOT change when brakes are applied.

History: Noise it NOT related to tyres or rims. Noise started late last winter with winter tyres and stock rims. Noise continued unchanged even after changing over to my summer tyres and rims.

Possible sources of noise: Wheel bearings, drive shaft bearings, brake assembly.

I made an appointment to have a dealer look at the problem next week. But, of course, there is chance that they will not be able to find the source of the problem as noises of this type are very hard to track down.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
I had a wheel bearing go out on a previous car. If I remember correctly, the noise would get louder when turning a certain direction.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Do you have hub caps?
Even with the nuts tight they can be noisy.
Improperly torqued wheel nuts on a mag wheel can also click and clunk.