General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Atten: Potential Buyers 08 vs 09

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
If you look at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's website ( IIHS-HLDI: Minicars - Current Models), it shows that the 2008 Fit scores: Frontal-Good, Side-Good and Rear-Poor. There are no scores for the 2009 model, but Honda has the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure listed as a new safety feature.

The website does say on the frontal impact that if two vehicles have the same rating, the larger vehicle would be safer.

Last edited by cranky18; 07-31-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
Juliane

I was on an LA freeway with about 6 lanes doing the speed limit when there was one of these sudden slow-downs. There was a black car in front of me. I was breaking rapidly but had enough room to stop and I checked my rearview mirror to see what would happen next. Someone was coming in fast from behind and just as I looked back to the front, CRASH and the airbags went off. The smoke from the airbags made it impossible to see anything, so I didn't know for two weeks when the highway patrol called me again, that I had hit a silver car. The silver car had cut in at the last moment leaving me no room to stop. I might have been doing 30 - 35 mph at the point of contact. The front end was crunched and the front airbags went off. The bumper was off the car and things were pushed in. The hood and front quarter panels were all bent, but the doors and glass and roof and all the rest were fine. Some minor damage in the rear, but nothing big. Didn't get hit very hard in the back. The horn was going off and the motor would still start.

I sprained my thumb and sternoclavicular joint (I think that is right, the sternum) with a few seatbelt bruises. My wife had some bruises and the kids in the back were fine.

I bought it with safety in mind and I'm going to buy another. Had I been in my full size van, things would have been different altogether. Putting the van in the same place at the same time, well I probably wouldn't have been able to slow as fast as I did and the van would have done some serious damage to anybody in front of me. If one doesn't leave room in front, then one is likely to rear-end the car in front and if one does leave room, then someone else cuts in. No winning on those damn freeways. I hate big city driving and next time it is the airbus to LAX.
Wow, so I guess no one hit you from behind! You are lucky. Is the car repairable or did the insurance co. total it?

Did you get a ticket? I sure hope not! Man, there is nothing like the sound of metal on metal, is there? I've never had a serious accident, but last summer I pulled out in front of a truck going about 30 mph and he hit me square on the front driver side fender...it was an Impala, a rental car. The T intersection was a stop sign on 2 sides and nothing on the other, but when I glanced to the left I saw a stop sign on a street that seemed to be for the other side, but it was an angled street that fed onto the larger street. So I looked right and pulled out...right in front of the truck. BANG! Classic "fender-bender," and made me realize I NEVER want to be in a serious accident.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by cranky18
If you look at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's website ( IIHS-HLDI: Minicars - Current Models), it shows that the 2008 Fit scores: Frontal-Good, Side-Good and Rear-Poor. There are no scores for the 2009 model, but Honda has the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure listed as a new safety feature.

The website does say on the frontal impact that if two vehicles have the same rating, the larger vehicle would be safer.
The larger seat frames and new active headrests of the 09 should help this score. All of the Hondas with AHR picked up the highest rating of Good in the tests.

Head restraints: Honda

Rear crash protection: Honda
For each seat/head restraint, rear-end crash protection is an assessment of occupant protection against neck injury in rear impacts at low to moderate speeds.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda 2009 Model Year Change Summary

American Honda Press Release Model Year Change Summary:

2009 Honda Fit
The Honda Fit debuts as an entirely redesigned model for the 2009 model year. New features and specifications include:

Fit (all models)
1.5-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine

New colors: Crystal Black Pearl, Blue Sensation Pearl, Orange Revolution Metallic

Carryover colors: Blackberry Pearl, Storm Silver Metallic, Tidewater Blue Metallic, Milano Red, Taffeta White

Discontinued colors: Nighthawk Black Pearl, Vivid Blue Pearl, Blaze Orange Metallic

On-sale: October 2008

Fit Base
15-inch steel wheels, up from 14-inch

Tilt and telescopic steering column

Front passenger seatback pocket

Power windows with auto-up/down driver's window

Fit Sport (adds to Base)
16-inch alloy wheels, up from 15-inch

Available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System

USB Audio Interface

Available Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)

Old 08-08-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
I just put a deposit down on an 09 "Blue Sensation Pearl" Sport AT with Navi. I went to 3 dealers to get the car I wanted. The first dealer told me that they were only getting in the black, silver and white, and that he would call me as the build dates got closer. The second said they would "have" the color and style I asked for. When I got there they (I was talking with two salesman at once ) only had the Black Silver and white coming in and told me I would have to special order the color I wanted, and that it would not be in until December. With every suggestion, they added "so if you give us the $500 deposit, at least that gets one reserved for you". They said that quite often, they can trade another dealer for color, "but we don't want to get your hopes up too much". They also told me that what ever I got would have the paint and upholstery protection, pinstriping, wheel locks and window tint. I asked them what if I didn't want those options, to which they replied "well all dealers add this". I told them thank you for the info, but I think I need to reconsider this. They then asked (again), "so, if you would like to put the $500 down, we can reserve one for you". I left feeling like I might not be getting my new Fit anytime soon. I called some dealers that were futher out from my location and the first one I called had the color and style I wanted with navigation coming in. The salesman was really nice and did not push any options. He said that they did add the paint/interior protection if you wanted it. Of course there is still no pricing but he said they did not "mark up" as some dealers are doing around here. He took my email address and said he would keep me posted as soon as any information on pricing and when the car was built/shipped, status etc. Like night and day. It seems like there should be some kind of standard for policies/practices throughout the dealerships.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda 2009 Model Year Change Summary

American Honda Press Release Model Year Change Summary:

2009 Honda Fit
The Honda Fit debuts as an entirely redesigned model for the 2009 model year. New features and specifications include:

Fit (all models)
1.5-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine

New colors: Crystal Black Pearl, Blue Sensation Pearl, Orange Revolution Metallic

Carryover colors: Blackberry Pearl, Storm Silver Metallic, Tidewater Blue Metallic, Milano Red, Taffeta White

Discontinued colors: Nighthawk Black Pearl, Vivid Blue Pearl, Blaze Orange Metallic

On-sale: October 2008

Fit Base
15-inch steel wheels, up from 14-inch

Tilt and telescopic steering column

Front passenger seatback pocket

Power windows with auto-up/down driver's window

Fit Sport (adds to Base)
16-inch alloy wheels, up from 15-inch

Available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System

USB Audio Interface

Available Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
Auto-up down is in the current model Fit for driver's side. Is that missing that it does other windows or is it just incorrect?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by suboh
Auto-up down is in the current model Fit for driver's side. Is that missing that it does other windows or is it just incorrect?
Auto down is standard for current model. Auto up is not available.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Cranky,

"It seems like there should be some kind of standard for policies/practices throughout the dealerships."

I am getting the same speel you are. I want the Sport in Tidewater Blue. I am told that color will be discontinued/limited; however, the recent Honda press release is listing the TWB as a valid choice. I am also told that the Honda will not accept custom orders from the dealers. Customers must chose from what "comes in on the truck."

This limited production of the Fit is frustrating my patience. The huge popularity of the Fit means that the dealers are not motivated to accomodate any customer in any way. If the customer does not like what comes in on the truck, that's fine, they will sale what did in 24 hours or less.

I feel like I am not being treated as a valued customer. The attitude is -here is what we got, take it or leave it.

Last edited by lookout_n_c; 08-10-2008 at 03:42 AM. Reason: to add quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Tif
That is completely different from my experience. I requested an 09 fit a week or two ago and the salesman I spoke too was very accomodating. He stated that the car would be ordered directly from Honda and I could choose the model, options, and color I wanted.

The only thing he didn't know was what they would sell for. He told me it would sell for MSRP, but he didn't know what that was yet. Although he guessed that the price would increase $300-$500 from 08.

Also, I won't get the car until late October because the first round of fits they are getting delievered are already sold.

I did have to place a $200 deposit, which is refundable if I come in and test drive the car and decide that I don't want to purchase.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone one know the day the last 2008 will roll off the factory line? Also how long Honda will take to retool the line and start making 2009's

Man this site needs a Honda Japan insider

I'm dumbfounded how much we have to guess at so many VERY basic details on the Fit.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tif
That is completely different from my experience. I requested an 09 fit a week or two ago and the salesman I spoke too was very accomodating. He stated that the car would be ordered directly from Honda and I could choose the model, options, and color I wanted.

The only thing he didn't know was what they would sell for. He told me it would sell for MSRP, but he didn't know what that was yet. Although he guessed that the price would increase $300-$500 from 08.

Also, I won't get the car until late October because the first round of fits they are getting delievered are already sold.

I did have to place a $200 deposit, which is refundable if I come in and test drive the car and decide that I don't want to purchase.
Hmmm! I placed deposits at 2 dealers last May and both had the same story. Honda Fits are allocated to each dealer based on previous sales activity. As the Fit is built in Japan they cannot pre-order features, colors etc as they can Honda's built in the US, ie Civic. They both required a small deposit to put my name on the first 09 SSM Sport auto that shows up on their schedule. One is scheduled for production on 8/6 and the other on 8/20. Both have the first 2 months of availability sold. Once delivery and price is confirmed and the dealer wants to finalize the deal I will decide which dealer based on a couple of factors.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'll try to help. 08s are done. it takes no time to retool as theyare built on the same line as the 08 JDM/09US. They will literally make the last 08 and the next car is an 09 no retooling.

Dealers request colors they would like but if not enough of a particular color are ordered it is pushed off to the next month. A zone(20-40 dealers) needs to order 55-60 of one color for anyone to get any, ex. We order a TWP but there are only 38 ordered for the zone no one gets any, the next month the 38 previously ordered ar added to the 40 ordered this month Honda builds TWB for that zone. Since many smaller dealers only get 4-5 Fits a month they may stay pretty conservative with clolr(white, silver,black) So while one person may get Blue sensation right away someone else may have to wait 2-3 months.

It is this way for all cars in the Honda line. Every dealer can handle deposits differently. We choose to wait until we hav a VIN showing color and ETA because orders are subject to change. Hope this helps

09s are currently being built with an on sale date of 10/1

Old 08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Stevens24 wrote "Dealers request colors they would like but if not enough of a particular color are ordered it is pushed off to the next month".

The dealer I talked to showed me a list of what he had coming in. Does this mean it's not necessarily coming in, or that it may be moved out to the next shipment? There were a lot of different colors on his list.

Last edited by cranky18; 08-10-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Trying to get an '09 Fit is becoming more and more rediculous and confusing.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by cranky18
Stevens24 wrote "Dealers request colors they would like but if not enough of a particular color are ordered it is pushed off to the next month".

The dealer I talked to showed me a list of what he had coming in. Does this mean it's not necessarily coming in, or that it may be moved out to the next shipment? There were a lot of different colors on his list.
I have a copy of the list my dealer is getting and I have no doubt that this list is what he is going to get inclueing the colors. Oh and all 8 have been sold.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Does anyone one know the day the last 2008 will roll off the factory line? Also how long Honda will take to retool the line and start making 2009's

I'm dumbfounded how much we have to guess at so many VERY basic details on the Fit.
sorry...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq

From what my dealer told me that day has already been and gone. If his sheet was correct, and I'm assuming it was as he was on an internal Honda website looking at it, they will be building my '09 later this month.... Next week if I remember right.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
2008 Fit uses i-VTEC as well.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer request certain colors and trims based on what they are allocated. Honda confirms what they will get after all orders are in and totaled. Just because a dealer request a color/trim combo, it is not certain until Honda confirms the order.

If the dealer is showing you what is scheduled to be built and not just telling you he ordered the car you should be fine. Just be a little sceptical if he doesn't have the build/in transit list.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:05 PM
For those of you who have put your security deposit for 2009 Honda Fit Sport, how much the "hidden fee" do you need to pay? Do you also need to pay the $670 destination charge separately?

Quick Reply: Atten: Potential Buyers 08 vs 09