General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hey! Buy a domestic!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Haha "Buy a domestic". No thanks, not ever!!

My next car will probably be mini cooper S

Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deanwvu
2009 Fiesta 5 door, good looking car! The diesel is supposed to have incredible mileage:

I bet the diesel version won't be available in the US.

The other day I watched the Top Gear when they reviewed the Prius, and they hated it. His biggest complaint was the 45mpg, in Europe you can get a diesel VW that gets 65mpg! Not to mention, if you drive the Prius hard, the engine stays on and you get about 17mpg.

All in all, the US is so far behind the rest of the world when it comes to enviro-friendly vehicles.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by smatts
Haha "Buy a domestic". No thanks, not ever!!

That comment is EQUALLY as stupid as some Ford truck driving hick saying he "Won't never buy naw furrin car!"

Look people, buy the best car you can for your money in the class that you are looking for. Do your research.

If I am on the fence between 2 or 3 models, I will always buy the domestic one. Think people!! Domestic buying means domestic jobs, domestic tax money, domestic future!

I would never buy a car I don't want because it's made here, but always choose domestic when the other factors are nil!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Guys,

In all seriousness... If you can buy domestic, please do. It helps everyone to keep every possible dollar we can in the US.

The problem is, our "brilliant" domestic auto companies has decided for the past 20 years or so that large trucks and SUV's are the future, and pretty much left all small car innovation on the back burner. In a way, who can blame em?? They can make anywhere between 5,000 and 15,000 in profits on those behemoths.

Car companies are almost doing us a favor when they design and sell good small cars. They are cheap to buy, cheap to own, and they do not yield great profits for the companies....

It really would be a shame for Ford and GM to collapse over this... it would.

(EDIT to add: IF the new Focus were offered in a hatch version, like the old ones were, I would be wanting one!)
My decision to buy the fit was very objective. I looked at Toyota cars, the mustangs, Focus, etc. Almost none of the cars appealed to me until I took more looks at the fit. And it slowly came to me that I wanted one.

Well. If I was to buy domestic. The only one that appeals to me at the moment is the Chrysler GEM for 9K just to run around town for fun. But I hear that there's reliability problems with the electric motor, which is a major turn off. Also, base model goes only 25 mph and not 40 mph, which makes side streets dangerous to ride around.

So far, looks like domestic companies are trying to hide their flaws by using the "Buy American" gimick. It's just natural that consumers get upset when they feel like they're not getting what their hard earned money's worth.

Well, looks like current results are in. Honda spent many years on innovation, which is paying off right now. Toyota seems to be leveling off. Nissan improved their quality alot last year. GM and Ford is suffering because they structured their factories to make mostly obsolete SUV and Pickups.

The only thing that can save domestic car company is if they come out with a must have car where consumers fell like it's worth buying.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I think I am a little in your face when it comes to the import because I am so happy to be driving a Honda that I just had to put those Japanese
symbols on the car to rub it in.

Cat

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I drove a Focus wagon as a rental, and loved it. I can't understand why Ford quit making the wagon and hatchback versions in the newest generation. I'd more than likely be driving one today instead of the Fit, but I need the hauling space that a hatch or wagon provides.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by discochris
I drove a Focus wagon as a rental, and loved it. I can't understand why Ford quit making the wagon and hatchback versions in the newest generation. I'd more than likely be driving one today instead of the Fit, but I need the hauling space that a hatch or wagon provides.
Honestly, when I started shopping that's what I went looking for and was surprised to see they stopped making them. I like the Fit and I'm quite pleased with my purchase so far, but if something else out there beat the combination of price and features, I'd have gotten that in stead, as I'd bet many others.

I agree completely that one shouldn't discount any brand or country out right. Each car has it's own situation that it's produced under. Price, features, and need out to determine what you buy, not the origin or label...

Old 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I will not support the UAW

Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I will not support the UAW
One of many major reasons that GM/Ford/Chrysler are in the financial shape they are in.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
I know at least GM has to pay hefty pension plans to now retirees. They have a lot of baggage and overhead to account for when they price their cars.

Originally Posted by Cosmo
One of many major reasons that GM/Ford/Chrysler are in the financial shape they are in.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Yes sir. Try telling a union member that hahaha. You're in for a major argument. Trust me I'm surrounded by members.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
There was a time when Unions were a necessary part of our society to enforce employee work standards and safety... however those days have long since disappeared.

While wages remain high in Unions, the overhead and self serving aspect of the groups is generally appalling. A lot of times they serve the management side rather than the employees that work within them. Being forced to join a Union and pay dues when you start working somewhere is hypocritical if you don't want to join.

I grew up in a Union town, the stuff I have seen is retarded and unethical.

I don't want to say all, because there are a couple smaller unions left that actually operate as intended and in the best interest of the employees and the company.

Bottom line is Unions these days generally end up bankrupting the companies they work for. Often strangling the company to death over 50 cent raises while it's members live on next to nothing for months on end. The overhead they have is like having a company within a company, freaking ridiculous.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
The first car I bought was a Saturn ION back in 2004 and it had the same engine as the Scion Tc, well in all fairness they weren't 100% the same: the one in the Saturn was smaller and had about 10hp less. But, my question is, did the GM have a Japanese engine or did the Toyota have an American engine?... My money's on the former.
I've owned 2 Saturn IONs, which were a 2004 and a 2006. The Saturn ION never had a Toyota engine. The base 2.2L ECOTEC engine in the Saturn ION was a GM engine, replacing the Quad 4.

However, the Saturn Vue Red Line had a Honda engine from 2004-2007. Starting this year, the Vue Red Line's engine is a GM product.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 PM
As far as my opinion goes for the whole "domestic vs import" argument, I'm open to both. My Fit is the first import I've ever had, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

As for a domestic car I would consider, it would have to be the Ford Fusion (4 cylinder version). I know it does not get the best gas mileage (averaging mid 20s). I had to drive one after I banged up my old Saturn last November. However, I was thoroughly impressed with the driving experience. It felt very solid.

Anyway, as I've said before, I do enjoy my Fit and plan to keep it as long as I can.

If the Detroit Three had taken notes from foreign automakers such as Honda and Toyota, maybe they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Retired Moderator
Im going to be honest when i say this.

Ill die before buying a domestic..No joke.

Tyler

Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
TOOL.. dunno if that 1.5 litre image has always been in your sig or not, but I just really noticed it for the first time now.... Has that been done in a decal/window cling? that would be awesome in white on a tint window or my BBP hatch.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
ah ford's european cars are nice! they should pull in more of their european models.. my favorite would have to be the Focus ST

the US's new focus sucks, the 2.0 dohc is no where near as responsive as my fit's, the fit handles better, more comfortable, and so much more room..

i totally agree! i would love to help the economy, but you know what? i don't think i should have to ride in a penalty box to do so. thats why ford is bringing over its european cars, because aside from being awesome, they are decent cars that posess qualities that make people WANT to drive them.

Thats what i don't get about some americans: its ok for them to drive whatever gas guzzling suv they want because its their right, but suddenly because i want to buy an import, i'm criticized?

ford will be the only american company recovering from the crap that the american auto industry has gotten itself into.

and lets also not forget that while most profits will go to japan, there is a healthy amount of american workers (i think about 30k) that honda employ's here in the states.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
That comment is EQUALLY as stupid as some Ford truck driving hick saying he "Won't never buy naw furrin car!"

Look people, buy the best car you can for your money in the class that you are looking for. Do your research.

If I am on the fence between 2 or 3 models, I will always buy the domestic one. Think people!! Domestic buying means domestic jobs, domestic tax money, domestic future!

I would never buy a car I don't want because it's made here, but always choose domestic when the other factors are nil!
i kinda see what you are saying...but i think the fact of the matter is that most of the time, when you are comparing different models, the domestic car is going to take the bottom place. its not until very recently that american auto makers have started to wake up and realize that there is a reason why people chose to buy foreign.

look at this thread! there are tons of people sitting here saying they would never buy one. why? because years and years of bad cars has created this awful public image.

the latest chevy malibu and ford fusion are great cars...but in the same way it took honda more than one generation of civic or accord to build the name that they have for themselves today, american auto companies will have to CONSISTENTLY build good cars for a few years before these notions are changed.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
Yes the diesel is terrific, great environmental marks as well. The problem is we in NA will not see this car in a diesel from what I have read. Sell it in diesel and I will but it, not in that colour though....

i understand it not coming in a diesel. have you seen how expensive diesel is?
and the fiesta name is awesome, its a throwback, the same way vw has named the mkV golf the rabbit here in the states.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wuze
Honda's crapping out on their cars by makin' some in Columbus and shit.

Practically buying domestic.

I still have hope in the CR-V, Fit, and S2000 for being 100% made in Japan.

wow. you are exactly the kind of person that i hope not to run into in real life, because your comments are ridiculous.

if honda has been 'crapping' out on their cars, then they have been doing it for a LONG time. the accord has been made here since the early 80's, if i'm not mistaken.

the newest civic si is built in ohio, and its as true to its japanese heritage as it can be.

you say you still have hope in the above models as if the rest of the honda line up is suffering from crap quality or something. news to ya pal. its not. the american made models, in addition to the imports, are what GAVE honda their name AND repuation.

try and educate yourself and shit.

Quick Reply: Hey! Buy a domestic!