General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Sorry Jondar, I didn't post clearly. What I was saying is that you posted a mileage number, were willing to listen to tips, stated you've tried some things but were still doubtful, and got somewhat hammered for doing so.

Check my post on my 43mpg tank. Granted I'm new here, and from what I can see 43 is a significant number, but I was still called out as either a liar or guy so inept that I must not be able to read a gas gauge.

I'm cool with all of it, as I've got a thick skin, and I like talking Fit tech, and my numbers are consistant.

Look at it this way, you're most likely a record holder!

Onward.

-D

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rockrover
That's the whole point of defrost/compressor cycling. Seals, bearings, veins and such are exercised via deFOG and deFROST.
That's not a bad secondary reason, but the real reason is that it was mandated by the feds somewhere back in the dark ages (30 years or so ago). If you've ever worked on or owned a car with a fully- or semi-automatic HVAC system you'll find that they have a "failsafe" mode. Guess what it is? Windshield defrost with AC on. Same reason.

AC dries the air and makes defrost work better. I guess the feds decided that the best thing an HVAC system could do is make it possible to see through the windshield!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondar
Yeah, there's definitely a problem with reading comprehension here. I'm not sure why I got such attitude from Apple and pcs, but I guess the fact that I'm ALREADY DOING THE THINGS YOU SUGGESTED is beyond belief to you both.
No reading comprehension problems, nor attitude... from pcs0snq or myself. pcs0snq made the point that you are likely accelerating and braking too hard. A valid point. He thought you were asking for help, to which you replied...

Other than disconnecting the AC switch on the defroster controls, I don't honestly think there's too much room for improvement
That's where my comment came in:

Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
Yeah... I think you have your driving technique under control at 18-22 MPG.
Cynical? Sure! A valid point I made though, illustrating the dichotomy between where you posted (Eco forum), and the content of your post. Why post in the eco forum if you bash the only good advice given (pcs0snq's advice)? Nonsensical. Therefore, I used a litote as a literary device to convey my point.

So be it. Prove to me that it's all in my technique:
Eh... Try pcs0snq's advice. Accelerate slower, lay off the brakes, and pump up your tire pressure to allow you to coast a little more.

Last edited by AppleMac*Fit; 07-31-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
No reading comprehension problems, nor attitude... from pcs0snq or myself.
I see...so it's just selective reading then, as neither of you saw (or just chose to ignore)

I already have the feel of the gas pedal/AT shift to the point where I run virtually the entire route with it shifting at or under 3K.
You folks tout 40+ mpg and 500 miles tanks in your sigs and expect it to be taken on faith, but refuse to extend the same courtesy to me when I say I'm already driving extremely conservatively? Maybe I need to post a photo of a dash with an empty fuel tank and 550 miles on the trip odometer in order to be believed.

Eh... Try pcs0snq's advice. Accelerate slower, lay off the brakes, and pump up your tire pressure to allow you to coast a little more.
Eh... Let me know your results on the run I described, or accept that all the little tricks only work in a limited environment that doesn't apply to everyone's world. Again, the suggestions offered were appreciated, but are already in place. Next?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Another thing to take into account with stop-and-go driving is weight. Have you removed all excess weight? What about going to carbon fibre for the hood or hatch? Just a suggestion, since I think weight is probably a big cause for your fuel economy.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CPTate
Another thing to take into account with stop-and-go driving is weight. Have you removed all excess weight? What about going to carbon fibre for the hood or hatch? Just a suggestion, since I think weight is probably a big cause for your fuel economy.
Not a bad idea. He's loading the car up with newspapers, so if he can counter that weight gain with a weight reduction elsewhere it might make a difference.

Another thing I just thought of would be to force the car to shift earlier than it does on its own. Speed and acceleration probably don't matter much in a paper delivery situation so forcing a shift at, say, 2500 RPMs or less might also make a difference.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
The car does have a weight limit on the inside door placard of 850LBS(not sure if that is the exact number or not). You can always get some stiffer springs or a fully adjustable suspension along with light weight componts such as mentioned or remove all interior.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Very good point on the weight...there are times I really miss my '84 CRX.

The magic seats were one of the things that make it a great car for paper delivery, but I wonder how difficult they'd be to take out/in altogether. For 99% of my use they may as well be sitting in the basement. Will need to do some research.

The early shifting might work sometimes, but it'd probably be situational unless I keep it in Sport mode full time. The times I've tried it in Drive, it wants to re-downshift if I'm still accelerating any little bit. Not that running in Sport mode would necessarily be a bad thing. If I'm getting any benefit from DFCO, I could lose it if the rpms drop too low though, yes?

Oh, and the small idle surge going into park does *not* happen going into neutral. That eliminates the idea that it was due to taking the trans load off the engine I guess. I'll probably start using neutral and the handbrake more often.