General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Talk me into/out of buying this car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shudderbug
While I highly recommend the Fit, and it does get a high rating in crash tests, I disagree with your statement that "You'll be as safe in the Fit in a crash with a big truck as you would be in a big truck in the same crash. Probably safer ... The crash tests I have seen involve two different scenarios: 1. Test vehicle (the Fit) traveling forward, crashing into a fixed object. 2. Stationary test vehicle (the Fit) hit in the side by a rolling object. The Fit does well in both tests. But that is not to say that the Fit would fare as well if it were hit by a Suburban, a Hummer, or even a Tahoe, for that matter, especially if the collision were head on.
That can be true that some of the Big SUV's/Truck's are safe, my bro had an accident with his truck, he rear ended the guy in front who slammed on his brakes because the guy in front of him dropped a refridgerator on the highway. Well lets say my bro got his hip broken, lungs collapsed, broken ribs, face in the steering wheel(he lost a chunk of his lip) They had to saw him out of the truck. He was going about 60mph. So it all depends on what the situation is. Bigger truck=heavier which is more momentum, so slamming on brakes, you're still going. Our little cars will slow down a bit faster and can prevent a bigger accident.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
The first one I test drove was in Blackberry Pearl, but I thought it was actually more like navy blue. I don't want a navy blue car, so I didn't even consider it. Any color swatches I have seen of this color look like plain old navy blue to me. Now, it was a rainy day and perhaps the color just wasn't showing up. I don't really like any of the colors that much, truth to tell, so it's kind of a washout on color for me. I don't think I'm going to have that much to pick from now. What was your OTD price, if you don't mind sharing that? John Eagle was one of the dealers I got a quote from, but they told me they wouldn't have any more Fits until the '09s get there in September/October. I hated Honda Cars of Katy - they called me to say they had the EXACT car I wanted, in fact, 5 of them, but when I got there, SURPRISE! No cars. I was steaming!

I'm not surprised you got bad service from Katy Honda - they struck me as your traditional rip artist type salesmen. I got out of there as fast as I could.

Goodson down at 59 and the Beltway had 1 Red Sport AT as of Tuesday, but my wife made a command decision after many years in a Red Explorer that I wasn't allowed to buy that color. I thought the Red looked good, but I can't comment on fading.

One of John Eagle's finance guys told me that they had more Fit coming in, but that they were all pre-orders like mine. All they want is a signed check to hold for deposit, so you might want to get on a waiting list with them just in case somebody else fails financials. (Worked for me ). Outside of their marketing department wanting to call all the time with surveys, I had an incredibly positive esperience with the people there. Nice, informative, professional. Thumbs up.

My driveout was 19,100 roughly on a Sport AT (MSRP+TTL+Add Ons), but mine came with a bunch of extras that jacked up the price (window tinting, security etching, floor mats, cargo tray, wheel locks, paint and fabric preserver), although I did talk them into a "free gas for a year" card.

I'm sure your response to the Blackberry Pearl was due to lighting - it is definately NOT navy in sunlight. It starts off as a deep, deep purple (almost black) and really gets more vivid in direct light. Way cool. I've yet to see a picture of it that really showed the color properly.

Rannous

Last edited by Rannous; 07-31-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just buy the car and see if you like it.

by next week you'll be bragging how great your new Fit is.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
just buy the car and see if you like it.

by next week you'll be bragging how great your new Fit is.
+2

Doooooo iiiittttt!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitzy
+2

Doooooo iiiittttt!
I am giving myself until tomorrow to make up my mind! You guys are hilarious.

I may be a 50-year-old suburban mom, but I am going to add some stuff if I get it....shock the rice rocket pilots around here! The photos on this website are inspiring!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rannous
I'm not surprised you got bad service from Katy Honda - they struck me as your traditional rip artist type salesmen. I got out of there as fast as I could.

Goodson down at 59 and the Beltway had 1 Red Sport AT as of Tuesday, but my wife made a command decision after many years in a Red Explorer that I wasn't allowed to buy that color. I thought the Red looked good, but I can't comment on fading.

One of John Eagle's finance guys told me that they had more Fit coming in, but that they were all pre-orders like mine. All they want is a signed check to hold for deposit, so you might want to get on a waiting list with them just in case somebody else fails financials. (Worked for me ). Outside of their marketing department wanting to call all the time with surveys, I had an incredibly positive esperience with the people there. Nice, informative, professional. Thumbs up.

My driveout was 19,100 roughly on a Sport AT (MSRP+TTL+Add Ons), but mine came with a bunch of extras that jacked up the price (window tinting, security etching, floor mats, cargo tray, wheel locks, paint and fabric preserver), although I did talk them into a "free gas for a year" card.

I'm sure your response to the Blackberry Pearl was due to lighting - it is definately NOT navy in sunlight. It starts off as a deep, deep purple (almost black) and really gets more vivid in direct light. Way cool. I've yet to see a picture of it that really showed the color properly.

Rannous
Exactly! I stepped out of my car and the first sales guy was right there! And then it was over to the cube and wait for the other sales guy, and wait for the test car, and wait afterward for the price, and they wouldn't give me the actual price with options and TTL, and finally the Manager came out to speak with me. That is so old-school! Then when I explained that I need to drive the paddle-shifter, before I decided, I told the manager to call me when they had one on the lot. I got the call that said they had not one, not two, not even three, but 5 Vivid Blue Pearl Sport ATs!!! How amazing! I confirmed this twice with the girl who called. "Yes, yes," she said. I went over there (it's a long way out!) and no car. GRRRRR. They even called me back the other night and asked if I wanted a light blue base!!! NO I DO NOT AND DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN!! If all the dealerships were that way, I would totally be sitting at Toyota right now.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I vote for the Fit...

My previous vehicle was a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4dr Sport and I wasn't sure how I would adjust to being back in a car, especially a lower riding one at that...but its been fine. I haven't missed the Jeep at all. And this is BIG SUV country around here where I live.

There is road noise with this little car; It is one of the few things I wish Honda had addressed a little better in this car, along with a better ride, but it doesn't take away from the fun, sporty look and sheer drivability of it all.
Its a great car overall. I've had mine approx. 1 1/2 months and I absolutely love it, and would def. buy another.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
I drive 72 miles each way on the super slabs (I-94, and the fastest 8 lanes in the country 696) every day in the Detriot metro area. This area is the last bastion of the SUV and 4wd truck since the BIG three are almost giving them away to employees. We also allow some of the heaviest Semi trucks in the Nation on our highways. 18 wheels is nothing! Try over 28 wheels on a steel hauler.
I feel completely safe in my BBP Sport. I can stop quicker change lanes faster and with the paddle shifters get up to speed fairly quick on the ramps. The fit is not a speedster. The 0 - 60 time may not be as fast or the body as big as other small cars, but the safety that Honda builds in is the best out there without going Volvo. It did take me some getting used to coming from a 2000 Dodge Dakota, but now there is no way I would go back.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

Rannous
19,100? Wow. I'm glad that I got mine over a year ago before gas was $4/gallon. However, Fits were still very hard to find; especially taffy white ones. I purchased mine for MSRP with free tint. The salesman tried to add on for pin-stripes and window security etching, but I wouldn't pay for those. I don't like the pin-stripes but got them along with the security etching for free anyway. I then purchased my floor mats, cargo tray, and cargo cover from Bernardi Honda. I showed the prices from Bernardi to the salesperson that tried to get me to buy those extra items and was told that they couldn't even get anything as cheap as Bernardi.

Before I purchased, I sent an email to about six or seven Honda dealerships in the Dallas area with my specific details. Most dealerships acted like typical dealerships, so I stayed away. Huggins in North Richland Hills agreed to MSRP but couldn't get a taffy white, so I went with McDavid in Irving. Stay away from Vandergriff in Arlington. They had like $750 worth of extras with a $4000 mark up. I brought my own financing as well, which they couldn't beat. Good luck in your search.

David
07' tw Fit Sport
91' NX2000

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
These come close:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post185564

And this one catches a fade from the purple to navy blue:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post195218

No joke: after my friend's father saw my car for the second time (first was under brilliant sun, the other overcast), he swears I gave it a new paint job!

Even I have a hard time telling if someone else's Fit is Nighthawk black, or Blackberry pearl. BBP is an awesome colour and I'm glad I held out for it... I've only ever seen one other BBP in my city.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zukered
These come close:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post185564

And this one catches a fade from the purple to navy blue:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post195218

No joke: after my friend's father saw my car for the second time (first was under brilliant sun, the other overcast), he swears I gave it a new paint job!

Even I have a hard time telling if someone else's Fit is Nighthawk black, or Blackberry pearl. BBP is an awesome colour and I'm glad I held out for it... I've only ever seen one other BBP in my city.

Duuuuuuuude......It IS PURPLE!!! Holy pearlescence, Batman!!! Now I really want one of those!!! Crum. And my opportunity is probably GONE...

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
I drove one yesterday on a test drive... and I absolutely love it. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow night.

One thing I've noticed in shopping for this car is that EVERYONE has a different opinion. Just because one person doesn't like the A/C or the engine power, isn't a guarantee you won't like it. Once you realize that... you need to form your own opinion.

Sure, you'll probably notice some things... but this will happen with every vehicle after you drive it long enough.

BTW, I'm going with the BBP... and it is awesome!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by misfit83
I drove one yesterday on a test drive... and I absolutely love it. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow night.

One thing I've noticed in shopping for this car is that EVERYONE has a different opinion. Just because one person doesn't like the A/C or the engine power, isn't a guarantee you won't like it. Once you realize that... you need to form your own opinion.

Sure, you'll probably notice some things... but this will happen with every vehicle after you drive it long enough.

BTW, I'm going with the BBP... and it is awesome!
How did you get a BBP? Did you order it? I am jealous now!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
How did you get a BBP? Did you order it? I am jealous now!!!
Nope, bought it off the lot. Dealer said he hasn't seen many like it.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
My wife and I have collectively owned a LOT of cars and this is the smallest/cheapest car that I've owned. We LOVE it. Most days I even have my wife drive my loaded v8 Explorer to work so I can play with the Fit.

Buy it...you won't be dissapointed. It has road noise, is bouncy at times, isn't luxurious, etc. Doesn't matter...we both love it.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by misfit83
Nope, bought it off the lot. Dealer said he hasn't seen many like it.
LOL, I think that's how I got mine... I almost walked out when my dealer claimed I missed the boat and the five BBPs en route were already spoken for, and they wouldn't get any more BBPs for the next month!

Three days later he called and said they had it. I assume a favour was called in and a swap made, because when I dropped by the next day, before they had a chance to clean and prep it, I noticed a sticker indicating it had come from a Toronto dealer, and dirty rain spots suggested it had been on the lot at least a few weeks.

I can only assume that it sat there unappreciated for a while because few wanted a subcompact (read: "slow" or "underpowered") M/T in Toronto's perpetual stop-and-go traffic...

Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
I'm going to call my sales guy tomorrow and see if he can find me a BPP Sport AT somewhere... The inventory manager owes me because I just told him about the 16 Fits on the lot in Alabama...

Pray for me!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Juliane!

I think you will find the Fit is a very good value for the money. It sips gas, it is nimble and fun to drive and will be very very reliable. You might find the ride a little more coarse than what you are used to and it's going to have a bit less power than what you have driven in the past but as an economy car it is outstanding overall. I live in South Florida were it's quite hot and I find the A/C is totally adequate personally. I have tinted windows which helps a bit too.

The Fit is very safe for a small car, I'd say easily the safest subcompact car you can buy. That said, it is a 2500 lb car so the laws of physics dictate that if you are in a serious accident with some yahoo in a giant Ford SUV you are going to take the brunt of the damage. That is just the reality. It is as safe as anyone could reasonably expect a car of its size to be though, 6 airbags and a very sturdy structure overall. I don't worry about my safety in this car at all personally and it is so light on its feet that I'd say an alert Fit driver has better odds of AVOIDING an accident in the first place than any big SUV barge on the road does.

I say go for it.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Juliane,

You gotta go with the Fit!! So you can be in love with there car like the rest of us!

~Jon~

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned
vtec & Juliane,

Well said vtec. The safety of the car's engineering coupled with the nimbleness of the handling makes it a very safe car. This is not a Sci-Fi movie- we Fit drivers are not being hunted by Hummers and other giant overweight vehicles. A skilled alert driver of any vehicle can usually escape harm in highway accidents, and the properties of the Fit make this even more likely. However, if total and complete safety is your main requirement (and I know that you are more reasonable than that Juliane), no one will sell you an M-1 Abrams tank, so you may as well just stay home.

Quick Reply: Talk me into/out of buying this car!