General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

defending my fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by couragethedog
yeah the things my friends say don't change how much I like it, I just hate how people scoff at it because its small, not a lot of hp, hatchback. I always bring up the excellent gas mileage i get , and I let them drive my car to see just how awesome the handling is but to them i guess they equate more hp with a better car. oh well, their loss! by the way, I know this is off topic but I had a question about the magic seats. I was trying to use refresh mode but when I fold my front driver seat back it won't go down all the way. The rear seat blocks it from going down all the way, and I've pushed it all the way up (the front seat). Any help with this?
I had the same problem when I first got my Fit. The rear seats need to be reclined a couple of inches more. The lever that allows you to fold down the rear seats also allows it to recline backwards. Do that and your front seat should fully recline.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 AM
When I got my fit, my friends were all questioning my decision to get it over the civic. They said it looked weird, was too small, too weak, etc. I told them the civic didn't even look that great, and that I didn't choose cars based solely on the hp. But they keep telling me I should have gotten another car, and it's getting pretty annoying. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had to defend their awesome fit! I love it, but it just seems to attract a lot of criticism -_-.

Yeah I have a friend who was like WTF? why didn't you get a Civic??? I would have gotten a Civic etc.

I explained quite simply that the Fit is the car that the Civic used to be. If they made a reasonably priced well equipped Civic hatchback for sale in the United States with a normal dashboard with analog gauges instead of a dashboard from a bad 1980s sci-fi movie then I would have considered it, but they don't.

When I weigh a base model Civic coupe (coupe being the least practical body type for carrying passenger or cargo or anything) that comes with almost no options for the money it wasn't a hard decsion. Add to that the fact that there are going to be 100 million cars that look exactly like mine all over the place and I will probably lose my Civic in the parking lot in the ocean of other Civics... no thanks.

Civic is a great car don't get me wrong, but hatchbacks and wagons with 4 doors own everything else out there IMO. The Fit represents great value for the money, has lots of room and a very useful interior, it was fun to drive.

It basically met all of my requirements brilliantly with no real compromises. I like the way it looks. I'm a grown-ass man and I don't need nor want a wannabe pretend sports car with a wing and a fart can to show people how cool I think I am. I love this car.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:34 AM
most one i know think its a sick little car.

the others, i get them to sit in the front turn around i show them the magic in the back, crank the stereo and sub, and takem for a ride of their life,lol. when im done i tell them of the good mpg when driving normally and their sold.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm a 19 yo Male in SoCal. I get a lot like so many criticism about my Fit, which happens to be a Tidewater Blue. Most of my guy friends would say "that's a *** car" and some girls would say that its cute. The guys just think its all about how much power the car can produce, most of them have Si's or some EG's and EK's. Although they do question where did my '88 MR2 went which schooled all of their cars. I just tell them it eats too much gas and this Fit saves me gas plus my gf likes it with the magic seats. My 2 cents

Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 AM
haha i feel you man... i test drove a tidewater blue sport but i was never feeling the color.. i too felt it was "happy" lol.. so i decided to go with the base NHBP.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by xxgotfit?xx
haha i feel you man... i test drove a tidewater blue sport but i was never feeling the color.. i too felt it was "happy" lol.. so i decided to go with the base NHBP.
Well I only went with that color 'coz i really wanted a Fit and that was the only color they had in stock. What I had in my mind at that time was I could probably get a paint job done on it, but I was wrong. It cost an arm and leg. LOL

Old 08-02-2008, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't like the Fit when I first saw it on the road.

Then I drove it.

Now I own one.

And this is coming from a fan of 60's American Muscle.

--Barry, 08 FS MT BBP

Old 08-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
yeah just take them for a ride
when my brother first got his BOM i HATED it, but then he took me for a ride, and i fell in love

Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtec just kicked in yo
Yeah I have a friend who was like WTF? why didn't you get a Civic??? I would have gotten a Civic etc.

I explained quite simply that the Fit is the car that the Civic used to be. If they made a reasonably priced well equipped Civic hatchback for sale in the United States with a normal dashboard with analog gauges instead of a dashboard from a bad 1980s sci-fi movie then I would have considered it, but they don't.
Amen my brother! Not the dashboard for me so much as the Fit's more suitable price (I call it bang for the buck) and the fact that the Civic is a coupe and not a hatch. The back seats and trunk would be wasted space for me; I need something can hold large items. I like the look of the new Civic, and I'd have liked the better highway mileage, but I couldn't see paying more money for less value.

And I honestly think the Fit is more fun to drive than a Civic, unless you go all the way up to an SI.

Last edited by wdb; 08-02-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I've owned a Civic coupe stick, and it was a blast to drive. Now, with a family not happy about a manual, the '09 Sport auto will work out for us. I test drove an '08 base model with 2 more adults, and it was a fun ride. A Civic SI was the 1st car we saw walking into the dealership yesterday. In our situation, given the premium gas and higher premiums, it was a nonfactor. We saw 2 Civics out in front, and they just looked like any other cars on the road. The Fit doesn't.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
I know this is off topic but I had a question about the magic seats. I was trying to use refresh mode but when I fold my front driver seat back it won't go down all the way. The rear seat blocks it from going down all the way, and I've pushed it all the way up (the front seat). Any help with this?
Like someone else said make sure the headrest is off, and do everything else you've been doing, but leave the front seat an inch away from where it meets the rear seat, then pull the rear seat up (like you want it in long mode) to meet the top of the front seat then push the front and rear seat down at the same time.

...I've had to defend my Fit a few times. The first time; this guy I work with, he drives like an 05' Accord; a maroon '05 Accord; his mom's maroon '05 Accord! He said something about power. I just told him, i'm more than willing to race, the car I own vs. what ever vehicle he owns... So, coming soon to YouTube 2008 Honda Fit vs. man on foot!! lol
Overall, the Fit was the car for me, I have a wife and a kid on the way. Driving a $16k car means I can take my wife on more vacations and spoil the hell outta my kid.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
i hear crap from some of my friends. mostly just the ones with fast cars, friend who drives a really nice srt4 loves to make fun of me for it. so does his dad whos got a 900+hp trans am ;/ lol. its all in good fun tho. i <3 my car and so do all the females. ;]

Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
bring them for a ride.. tht usually shuts ppl up... if tht dont work... take some turns really fast.... you can corner way better than any civic! and the fit isnt slow... it just isnt fast.... but shes very nimble!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I drove an 08 Si, and didn't really like it. Speedometer lag, a gas pedal that pivoted the "wrong" direction, and the underwhelming lack of low-end torque just turned me off. It really did feel exactly like my i/h/e d16y8 only with another 1000 rpm on the end of the powerband. By the numbers it was much quicker but I honestly couldn't tell and thought was sad because the y8 civic ran mid-16s trapping 82mph.

Then I drove a fit. It definitely had a lot less top-end power but overall was much more enjoyable to drive. Especially the shifter. I was missing shifts all over the place in the Si because the notches were too darned close, and shifting effort was very high, more than the EJ8 civic when I had the edelbrock shifter in there (which came out because of that).

First saw the fit... said there's no way.

First drove the fit... all other alternatives were out the window.

Besides it has almost everything I want in a car-- fwd, slick-shifting manual tranny, roller rockers, close gears (kinda but killer 1st makes up for it), a hatchback, fold-flat seats, cruise control that works, and snappy handling. Still missing map lights, LSD, and forced induction but hey it's an excuse to find a project EG and leave the fit as is.

Now if I can only get everyone to stop calling it the Runt

Old 08-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
I dint get to much crap just the normal ribbing form friends. There was one incident that happened just a few days ago and still kind of pisses me off. I was heading to work minding my own businesses and because it was a nice night I had my windows down. as im slowing for a light this Lincoln with crappy rims and cheep HIDS comes up next to me and the passenger yells " hey dude your a fag!" im like what, " your driving a fit, your a fag!" then he looks over to his friend and says "smoke him" like where in some F&F movie. they take off (not very fast either they dint even chirp the tires) I make it clear that im not even going to give them the satisfaction of trying. I get up next to them again as they slow for a turn and they passenger calls me a fag again. I just yell out the window "WOW fell better about your self? then give them the thumbs down and go to work pissed off for the first few hours.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by vtec just kicked in yo
... hatchbacks and wagons with 4 doors own everything else out there IMO. The Fit represents great value for the money, has lots of room and a very useful interior, it was fun to drive.

It basically met all of my requirements brilliantly with no real compromises. I like the way it looks. I'm a grown-ass man and I don't need nor want a wannabe pretend sports car with a wing and a fart can to show people how cool I think I am. I love this car.
I was just looking through here and the above quote sums up how I feel about this car. I'm sold on 4-dr hatchbacks. They just offer a lot more versatility and flexibility than sedans and coupes.

Also, the Fit reminds a lot of the late 80's/early 90's Civic hatches, which I liked, but never bought one.

As for people who get crap about their Fit, I am sorry. Most of my friends really like the car. The magic seat, space efficiency, handling, and fuel economy sell the car pretty well. Most of my friends have also grown up psychologically, so that makes a difference. My line of last resort, "If it bothers you so much, you can buy a car for me." I have yet to find one person that doesn't shut up.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I get nothing but compliments about my Fit. Maybe it has something to do with the Bay Area being generally more accepting of out-of-the-ordinary vehicles like this, but there hasn't been one negative comment thrown my way since I bought it. As a matter of fact, the Fit was recommended to me by two of my co-workers, both of whom are muscle-car nuts, and not the kind of person you'd ever think would like a car like the Fit; but their exact words were: "It's one bad-*** car!"

I even get strangers at gas stations and other places asking me what it is!

I've never owned a truly unique car before, and it's a good feeling! I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
I get up next to them again as they slow for a turn and they passenger calls me a fag again. I just yell out the window "WOW fell better about your self? then give them the thumbs down and go to work pissed off for the first few hours.

Don't let it get you down bro. Next time just roll up the window.

The other day one of the decons wifes at our church gave me the "hey, is that thing big enough to hold your ego?" To which I replied, "Uh...Hate to break this to you, but your husband drives a Sportage." Shut her up quick.

My standard come back now is: "It takes a big man to drive a small car".

--D

Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Fit > Civic

Just be glad that you probably won't have to rent a U-Haul should you move somewhere else.

You made the right choice!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I know I'll eventually have to talk to one of my friends who's owned domestics all his life (mostly Fords). He used to always make fun of the "Rice" community, which he meant all Honda cars. And I'm just going to have to tell him that this is MY car, and I got what I wanted!

MPG's are my new best friend!!!!

And I'm sure the time will come where someone will point out the color... yah it's purple... what of it? I don't point at luxury cars and go... nice unit! Out loud anyways!

Last edited by misfit83; 08-03-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: defending my fit