General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

defending my fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
defending my fit

When I got my fit, my friends were all questioning my decision to get it over the civic. They said it looked weird, was too small, too weak, etc. I told them the civic didn't even look that great, and that I didn't choose cars based solely on the hp. But they keep telling me I should have gotten another car, and it's getting pretty annoying. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had to defend their awesome fit! I love it, but it just seems to attract a lot of criticism -_-.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Just take them for a ride in it. My friend harrassed me to no end about my choice in cars, even though he's the one who showed me the Car & Driver article on it about 6 months ago. After a night around the twisties, he took back everything bad he ever said about the car. Oh, and show your friends the magic seat. Put the seat bottoms up and get in and show them little people can dance in the back area with plenty of headroom.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
i got a best bud who has a 95 GSR in great condition and he is strongly considering switching to a fit. i was like WTF are you crazy.

oh and by the way, the people criticizing are just jealous

Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by couragethedog
When I got my fit, my friends were all questioning my decision to get it over the civic.
Deliver a clothes dryer to their house on your way home from winning your class at the local autocross. Or, get new friends.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Same here, I chose the Fit over the new SI. Why? I want good MPG

Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah I find pretty much everybody who takes a ride in the car does a 180 on thier opinion... myself included.

I didn't give the Fit a second look the first time I ever saw one at the dealership. My friend was actually looking for a car, he is a big of a larger guy and we thought it would be funny to cram him into the Fit and take a picture of how giant he was inside of it... only problem was after he got in and sunk into the seats all I could hear was "Wow it is so big, the dash is really nice..." and so on coming from the car.

After I had a chance to sit inside of it I was pretty surprised at the quality and finish. About 6 months later I started looking for an economy car and the Fit came up again as a joke... but I had a second look and it was by far the best car out of everything I tested.

I still get a bit of a hard time today from friends, but mostly over the wheels and money I have spent on aftermarket parts.

Bottom line is it really is one of those cars you can't judge by it's cover.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
My last 3 vehicles were trucks. I traded in my 07 4x4 FJ Cruiser for a Fit Sport. All my friends either drive trucks, V8s, or expensive sport coupes. They all think I lost my mind.

Im happy with my decision though and ultimately thats what matters the most.

Dont sweat em dude.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Most people were laughing at me when I first got my Fit in January. Now they shut up when I tell them "I get around 36 mpg in the city, what about your car?"

There's plenty of room, enough power, and it's fun! What more can you want in a car?

OK, my other car's a Subaru STI, so I have both - good mileage OR a fast sporty car

Old 08-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
actually no one has bothered me about the choice in my FitS.

ive gotten many compliments.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned
Sorry to jack the thread but thats how it is with my Zuma, people make fun of them cause they are so slow and look bad, but if they have ever ridden a scoota they know how fun they are, plus 100 mpg and insurance is nothin. Another way its like the Fit, older women love it!!!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM
I've owned a CRX, Civic coupe, and my current Accord coupe. Today my wife and I put a deposit down on an '09 Fit Sport automatic. My wife even asked me after the test drive if the Fit was smaller than our earlier CRX: I told her that it didn't matter -- visionaries who buy cars like the Fit will only revolutionize the American car industry. Today I heard how GM is in dire trouble. My friend in Japan told me that the Fit was Japan's '08 car of the year. This is good enough for me....

Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 PM
yeah the things my friends say don't change how much I like it, I just hate how people scoff at it because its small, not a lot of hp, hatchback. I always bring up the excellent gas mileage i get , and I let them drive my car to see just how awesome the handling is but to them i guess they equate more hp with a better car. oh well, their loss! by the way, I know this is off topic but I had a question about the magic seats. I was trying to use refresh mode but when I fold my front driver seat back it won't go down all the way. The rear seat blocks it from going down all the way, and I've pushed it all the way up (the front seat). Any help with this?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
I use 2 drive an Rx8...Most people at my job was telling me that i was crazy for giving up such a nice car for the Fit. I mean the Rx8 was was a GT model so it had the lip kit and also the 18's plus i did the exhaust and intake and everyone loved the car at my job. But i was wasting close to $50 a week on gas..and then i saw the potential the fit had and when ahead and bought it..now everyone at work likes my car due to how "different it looks".

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Not a lot of HP? Look at the European Model, you can have either 78 or 83 HP on the Jazz. I think on the 08 model, it was 60-something or 86. So in Europe, the Standard Fit would be a over-the-top sports model
But still it costs a lot more there

Old 08-01-2008, 07:32 PM
My best friend has been a hardcore Nissan and Toyota freak for years. He hates Honda and everything they have produced. So when I drove up to his house to show him my new (and first Honda) he was just in shock at my choice for a new car. Heh, until that is, he got to drive it. He loved it!!! I couldn't believe it, but he was admiring the layout of the cabin, the lines outside on the body, and the super smooth shifting.

If your friends won't let you off the hook and continue to harass your choosing a Fit, just tell them look - it works for me, and I love it, so back the f**k off already

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, my friends who are in to cars get on me about it. One drives a 5.0 HO mustang...now a 5.4, nother drives and ioneven know, like 01 laser...lawl. I don't mind the kid with the stang getting on me cause he's just jokin' I know, mostly cause I got him out of just pure power and looking at taking turns at 50/60mph+...granted that was after we rebuilt, bored and stroked his engine :P But the d00d with the laser...well I laugh at him cause his tranny crapped out lol. They wanna drive it...but ya know, it's liek my baby. I love it and don't want someone else's hands caressing her :P But I think I'll let the kid with the stang take it for a lil drive sometime. They'll all still talk shit cause jealousy but yea, can't change that.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately in America, all that matters is horsepower apparently to the general public. Most people that I know that are into cars seem to love the Fit, which is what counts.

Just show 'em that thread where the Fit went down a slalom as fast as an M3. Then show 'em Spoon/J's videos to give 'em an idea of how much potential this sexy car has.

One girl I was giving a ride said the car was too small and asked me "how are you going to have sex in this thing?" I showed her the magic seats and her head exploded.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by couragethedog
I was trying to use refresh mode but when I fold my front driver seat back it won't go down all the way. The rear seat blocks it from going down all the way, and I've pushed it all the way up (the front seat). Any help with this?
couragethedog,

Did you take the headrest off? If so, did you try tilting the rear seats back? If you've already done these things, I don't know what else it could be. Maybe push harder?

Hope this helps,
-macbuddy-

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Wuze
Unfortunately in America, all that matters is horsepower apparently to the general public. Most people that I know that are into cars seem to love the Fit, which is what counts.

Just show 'em that thread where the Fit went down a slalom as fast as an M3. Then show 'em Spoon/J's videos to give 'em an idea of how much potential this sexy car has.

One girl I was giving a ride said the car was too small and asked me "how are you going to have sex in this thing?" I showed her the magic seats and her head exploded.
Did you get a piece?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I actually get a lot of compliments due to the fact that i always keep it *clean*

Quick Reply: defending my fit