General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Towing behind MH, some ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Wiring routing

I checked my 13 Fit Toad (Sport Auto) for the easy wire routing and I see that I actually removed the left foot pad (this may be unique to the Sport). I then found a rubber area underneath the pad that made for a very easy routing into the driver's floor area.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Joeoneil
Looking at the Blue Ox base plate, the Hopkins lighting kit (plug ins, no drilling into light box) one-time installation, brake relay and the NSA ReadyBrake supplemental braking system and emergency breakaway system. adding a RVI towed battery charger and a Drive/tow fuse switch instead of pulling the mini-fuse each time. About $1,500 in all said and done.
Just set up our '13 base model AT using the Blue Ox hardware, but did not want to deal with the difficulty of routing a Readybrake cable and adding a separate break-away system, nor the extra towbar length, and the very few user reports on their Elite towbar. Went with the Blue Ox towbar and SMI Stay-in-play Duo braking system. The result is neat and essentially invisible in normal driving. I also used a Hopkins converter and diodes to wire in the lights, which uses the Fit turn signals. All that wiring accomplished under the dash - no wires to the back. Added a flashing dash indicator for when the SMI system is turned on, and a current-limited charge wire from the motorhome coach battery charging system.

Steve

Old 05-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Joeoneil
Brand new to the forum, but wanted to add my two cents and what I have found, plus get some feed back from you all! We have a 2010 Honda Fit Sport manual trans. Bought a good used HM last summer with a tow bar and looking at setting up the fit to be towed behind for this summer. Internet searches led me to e-trailer.com (several good ones found) and the products & expertise they offered. (videos and Q&A)

Looking at the Blue Ox base plate, the Hopkins lighting kit (plug ins, no drilling into light box) one-time installation, brake relay and the NSA ReadyBrake supplemental braking system and emergency breakaway system. adding a RVI towed battery charger and a Drive/tow fuse switch instead of pulling the mini-fuse each time. About $1,500 in all said and done.

Joined the forum to see how you all get in and around the engine and transmission to the firewall to install two brake cables for the ReadyBrake & the emergency breakaway braking system. Both are cable activated, connecting to the brake pedal arm through the firewall to the front of the fit. My initial thought is remove the right front wheel, and plastic wheel well panels, remove battery & air filter box to gain engine side access to firewall.

Any other recommendations/pictures anyone can provide for assistance?
Didn't use the Ready Brake - went with SMI Stay-in-Play Duo. Still needed access to firewall and vacuum lines, so removed the airbox. Secures with two captive bolts and a couple clamps, one plug to pull and set aside. Battery removal recommended to ease removal of airbox. Suggest you do this and check out before getting the surge brake. Note the brake booster is huge, and may affect routing too.

As for wiring, I used a converter to use the Honda turn signals, and ALL wiring done under the dash. If no converter, you have to run to the rear to tap in directly to individual bulbs, and skip the high-mount brake light. The parts:

Hopkins 48955 diodes and Tow Ready 118158 Converter

Trace the wires from the back - they end at a plug at the fusebox where you can splice in everything. The SMI requires routing a cable and airhose bundle through the firewall, so I had the needed wires at hand from the m'home.

Steve

Old 05-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Talking Install underway

Hi All -

Thanks for the feed back. Had a few weeks off for Rotator Cuff Surgery. Put the fit up on jack stands and started slow. Installed the blue ox baseplate, Hopkins wire package back to rear light, plug and play. Road master brake relay under dash along with a road master toggle switch for the radio fuse.

Went with the ready-brake and removed air box and battery for access to firewall. Added the RVI battery tender off the hot feed from the MHome umbilical.

Final adjustment for the brake system will not be done until the first road trip shake done behind the MHome, but Fit is back on the road as I went back to work 5/4.

Last edited by Joeoneil; 05-10-2015 at 07:17 AM.