General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

help! transmission question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
help! transmission question.

I was going to flush out my auto transmission fluid and noticed on the back of the royal purple ATF that is is ok for honda ZR1 fluid replacement but not in cvt transmissions.

1) US FiT sports are 5 speed automatic, NOT CVT right?
2) has anyone replaced there transmission fluid with royal purple? does it void the manufact warr?

i did a ATF fluid flush on my old cavalier and was a vast improvement. just wanted to enhance the auto as much as possible.

please post experiences or confirmed technical info.

thanks a bunch
ricky h

Old 08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by savior
I was going to flush out my auto transmission fluid and noticed on the back of the royal purple ATF that is is ok for honda ZR1 fluid replacement but not in cvt transmissions.

2) has anyone replaced there transmission fluid with royal purple? does it void the manufact warr?

i did a ATF fluid flush on my old cavalier and was a vast improvement. just wanted to enhance the auto as much as possible.

thanks a bunch
ricky h
1) No CVT for US market Fit. All are 5 speed manual or 5 speed automatics.
2) It will not void the factory warranty as long as it meets the factory lubrication parameters. Your owners manual should outline what type of lubricants to use in your car.

Why don't you look up the confirmed technical information?

Last edited by Cosmo; 08-22-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

thanks a bunch
ricky h
Amsoil ATF is the only non-Honda ATF that Honda approves.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Amsoil ATF is the only non-Honda ATF that Honda approves.
Can you provide a link to a Honda website that will confirm this? All Information I can find specifically states that Honda ATF-Z1 is the only transmission fluid approved for automatic transmission equipt Honda automobiles with the exception of CVT equipt automobiles in which there is Honda CVTF.

There is a possible alternative to the Honda ATF-Z1 and that is GM ATF-Z1 found at Saturn dealerships that may be less expensive. I have no knowledge if this is for honda manufactured transmissions installed in Saturn vehicles or not.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Can you provide a link to a Honda website that will confirm this? All Information I can find specifically states that Honda ATF-Z1 is the only transmission fluid approved for automatic transmission equipt Honda automobiles with the exception of CVT equipt automobiles in which there is Honda CVTF.

There is a possible alternative to the Honda ATF-Z1 and that is GM ATF-Z1 found at Saturn dealerships that may be less expensive. I have no knowledge if this is for honda manufactured transmissions installed in Saturn vehicles or not.
AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

I did not find a reference to Honda approval of Amsoils auto tranny fluid. Being old and of poor eyesight just where did you find it? Thanks.

Later: called one of my race contacts at Honda. He knew nothing of Honda approving Amsoil and didn't think it happened. Especially for automatic. Amsoil auto tranny fluid may work fine but I'm not going to be the experimenter on my street car.

Last edited by mahout; 08-23-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
That looks suspiciously like an amsoil site. Can you post the link to a Honda site that backsup your amsoil approval?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned
That looks suspiciously like an amsoil site. Can you post the link to a Honda site that backsup your amsoil approval?
Of course it looks like an Amsoil site. It is THE Amsoil site. The Honda approval of Amsoil ATF is there as well as on every bottle of Amsoil ATF. If you can't find the Honda approval on the site, just read the bottle at any Amsoil dealer in your town.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Of course it looks like an Amsoil site. It is THE Amsoil site. The Honda approval of Amsoil ATF is there as well as on every bottle of Amsoil ATF. If you can't find the Honda approval on the site, just read the bottle at any Amsoil dealer in your town.
The amsoil site makes no proclamation as to their ATF being approved by any manufacturer and here is a pic of the back of the bottle that makes no claims to manufacturer approval also.

I'm not trying to bust your b@lls, I just think it wise to use what is actually approved by the manufacturer while the car is in warranty. We all know that Honda hasn't exactly had a spotless record as of late with their automatic transmissions.

Last edited by Cosmo; 08-22-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 PM
the back of the royal purple says pretty much the exact thing. does that mean it DOESNT void the warranty?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned
The amsoil site makes no proclamation as to their ATF being approved by any manufacturer and here is a pic of the back of the bottle that makes no claims to manufacturer approval also.

I'm not trying to bust your b@lls, I just think it wise to use what is actually approved by the manufacturer while the car is in warranty. We all know that Honda hasn't exactly had a spotless record as of late with their automatic transmissions.
Cosmo, mahout,
Your statements about the lack of Honda approval of Amsoil ATF on the Amsoil site are true, and my statement about the Honda approval of Amsoil on the site is now wrong. The Honda approval used to be on the Amsoil site, but they completely revamped their site and I have not looked at the site for at least the last year. The Honda approval statement is no longer on the site. This does not have any negative meaning though. Amsoil ATF
is a synthetic ATF that is universal. It meets or exceeds the specifications of all auto maker's specs. for ATF.

"Nothing is as certain as change". And so it goes with the Amsoil web site.
It was not my intention to mislead anyone. I have used Amsoil ATF in all of my AT equipped cars and trucks for over 25 years, with never a failure of any automatic transmission. I will continue to use it in my Fit, and you are free, obviously, to use any ATF you want.

Last edited by manxman; 08-23-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM
the back of the royal purple says pretty much the exact thing. does that mean it DOESNT void the warranty?
Here is how your car warranty works. If you use Honda specified lubricants in your car and something goes wrong, Honda pays for it while it it under warranty. If you use something other than what Honda specifies while it is under warranty and something goes wrong, YOU pay for it and try to recoup the money from the manufacturer of the product you used. I think it's pretty clear what to do. I personally have never had a catastrofic failure of any major component of any Honda, Toyota or Mazda I have ever owned and have used many non-manufacturer approved products when the cars were OUT OF WARRANTY. All the Toyota, Honda & Mazda products were sold with no issue with over 200K miles. In the end, it is your car and your money to do with as you please.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
you aren't supposed to flush honda automatic transmissions.

a "flush" for a honda auto is to drain and refill the fluid. drive it, drain and refill. repeat.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned
Here is how your car warranty works. If you use Honda specified lubricants in your car and something goes wrong, Honda pays for it while it it under warranty. If you use something other than what Honda specifies while it is under warranty and something goes wrong, YOU pay for it and try to recoup the money from the manufacturer of the product you used. I think it's pretty clear what to do. I personally have never had a catastrofic failure of any major component of any Honda, Toyota or Mazda I have ever owned and have used many non-manufacturer approved products when the cars were OUT OF WARRANTY. All the Toyota, Honda & Mazda products were sold with no issue with over 200K miles. In the end, it is your car and your money to do with as you please.
B.S.! If you use an ATF that "equals or exceeds" Honda specs., Honda dealers cannot deny warranty coverage of AT failure, as long as service is done at the mileage/times specified by the Honda service requirements. There is NO legal requirement for you to use Honda materials for maintenance service. Any repair shop can perform any and all maintenance service, using any lubricants that "equal or exceed" Honda specs.