General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Important

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Important

What is the diffrence bet(JAZZ) & the new (VoleksWagenPOLO) 1.4 ?

And which is better?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Jazz / Fit is a 5 door hatch
1.3L / 1.4L DSI (same engine just called different size in different markets)
61KW
1010kg (1035kg for auto)
Fuel economy is 5.8L per 100km
Only a 0.1L difference between the auto (CVT) and manual
Available in 5 speed manual, Continuously Variable Transmission and CVT with 7 speed paddle shift mode
Versitile seating provides a very large amount of usable interior space

1.5L VTEC
81KW
1025kg (1050kg for auto)
Fuel economy is 6.1L per 100km

Polo 5 door hatch
1.4L has 74KW
1102kg (auto 1142kg)
Fuel economy is 6.8L per 100km (no figures supplied for auto but larger difference than Jazz)
Will only run on Premium 95RON grade petrol
5 speed manual or 4 speed auto
Conventional seating with fold down rear seats

Pricing is similar. With any car drive them both and see how they feel. Like choosing speakers its very personal.

In the Australian market the VW is made in South Africa and the Jazz in Japan.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

I think Volkswagen right now is seriously looking at selling the Polo in the USA.

They are doing so for three reasons: 1) VW dealers in the USA want a true entry-level car, 2) VW wants to sell more fuel-efficient models in the USA without the expense of qualifying VW's Pumpe Deuse turbodiesels to meet USA emissions standards and 3) VW doesn't want to be left behind when Honda, Toyota, Nissan and (now confirmed) Ford starts selling B-segment automobiles to American consumers what want more fuel-efficient cars without the expense of hybrid drivetrains.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
I think Volkswagen right now is seriously looking at selling the Polo in the USA.
Unfortunately I think VW will screw it all up if they do bring the polo here to the US. It'll probibly be price farely high, which would be worth it due to the options and fit and finish of what ever they offer here, but those prices will turn people off. Personally I'd take the polo over the fit/jazz even if it were priced up in the 15-16K range, but only if I could get the TDi engine in it. I also think the people who would buy the polo would be more interested in the TDi engined versions than the gassers.

But than it's been rumored the polo would be coming here for years, and it still has not happened.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
What about VW quality? That seems to have become a serious issue in the last few years.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:16 PM
If the US VW Polo comes from Mexico it will be JUNK!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
If the VW comes from South Africa it won't be any better. The C Class mercs and 3 series BMWs (NOT the M3) are also being made in SA. There has been a notible decline in quality and increase in faults as a consequence.

Are manufacturers required to disclose country of origin in the US because they don't have to in Australia forcing consumers to decode VIN numbers to find the truth? Dealers have been less than honest in disclosure or maybe they don't always know either.

Should a car made in South Africa or Mexico still be advertised as German or even European? Likewise is the Mercedes and BMW 4WDs made in the US still German cars? (Manufactured to a worldwide standard so country of origin doesn't matter - pigs ear or other parts of the anatomy).

Last edited by vividjazz; 11-01-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Only one of the VWs I've owned was made in Mexico and it was actually the most relyable car I have owned to date. 94 jetta GL 130,000 miles and I had under $2,000 in non-routine repairs(stuff other than oil changes, timing belt service, brake pads, and tires). water pump failed at 72K mi, shift linkage failed at 109K mi and the A/C condensor started leaking at 115K mi... Guy who bought it from me wrecked it a few weeks after I sold it to him.

I still miss that one, it was a great car. But I could only take one car when I moved and it was either my 1974 Karmann Ghia convertable or the jetta... That was a no brainer

Last edited by InSaNeBoY; 11-01-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
You make an interesting point. Fords are made in Mexico, Chrysler in Canada, Toyota, Honda, and now Hyundai are made in the US. So are those 3 more American than the Fords and Chryslers? You could get into some wild arguements about this! :-)

Old 11-02-2005, 05:17 PM
If country of origin doesn't matter why do the manufacturers not openly and proudly disclose it like for all other products? A nice sticker on the windscreen would do the trick maybe on the fuel consumption sticker.

Mercedes sold Sung Yang Musso 4WDs in Australia a few years back with Mercedes badges. When the badge was changed to Sung Yang Musso the price of exactly the same vehicle almost halved. Same vehicle, same country of origin just different badge.

Holden (GMH) is trying the reverse trick in Australia at the moment rebadging Daewoos as Holdens. Daewoo pulled out of the Australian market last year due to popular demand. Chevolet also tries to sell premium priced Daewoos in Asia with their badge.

Increasing globalisation of the car industry seems to have moved manufacturers to produce their cheaper models in developing nations but still allowed them to pretend that all their vehicles are made at the manufacturers badge home country allowing them to often extract a price premium. I suppose this is no different to paying for a piece of designer label clothing except that the clothing has a little label on that says made in China.

If I was in the US I'd be buying these first shipments of the Jazz/Fit rather than waiting for the next model that may not be coming from Japan. The next model may be better spec wise (add some extra air bags) but the guy who doesn't care how it is bolted together will ensure it has more problems.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the specs vividjazz.

I'd rather have a Polo. It looks more polished, a more handsome car, more fun to drive, etc.--an inexpensive efficient car without the air of cheapness. First choice would be diesel, but I would also take a gasser.

I've been waiting for one since '97, VW still doesn't think we are worthy. I doubt I can wait until 2008 for one, I'll probably end up with a Fit before then. Which isn't as good looking, probably will not be as fun to drive, and probably will feel cheap, but will be more efficient and reliable.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Funny - I just shot a TV commercial for a local VW dealer and thought the new Jetta was cheaper feeling / looking than the new Civic. The plastics on the new Honda were much more solid in appearance than the VDub.
As VW goes more global you can't expect them to continue being competitive without cost reductions i.e. their own cheapened feel.