General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I crashed my car and I am sad.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Glad all are OK. Now nuetral drop the rental car that her insurance is paying for and go test drive a Civic coupe in another state! If you aren't already a parent the loss of a much loved car is the worst pain in the world. After my Elantra was totalled I wouldn't even think about getting another, just too many memories there (Hey where did that tiny violin come from?)

Old 11-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your car but glad everyone was able to walk away. I test drove a Civic but I just did not like the way it handled on the road. I know the Fit is noisy and you feel every bump but I really loved the feeling behind the wheel of the Fit than the Civic. Let us know how it turns out for you and if you get that Civic we want to see some pictures. Just remember that all things work together for good....

Cat :X

Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Went out to the local Honda dealer today in hopes of test driving a Civic coupe with a manual tranny. Unfortunately, the only non-Si coupes were all automatics. While an Si would be more fun than I have words for, it's way more than I want to spend. The sales guy there said they were going to get a Civic LX coupe with a five speed in soon, so maybe later this week I can try that one out.

I went to another lot and a used '99 Miata caught my eye. Took 'er for a test drive and noticed a few problems, namely the check engine light was on and there seemed to be a bunch of vibration felt through the wheel. I did really enjoy my short drive, however, the gearbox's short throws felt great, and the engine really wanted to rev. It really is a driver's car. The price was right, but I'm not sure if I want to buy a 10 year old car...

Then the sales lady talked me into driving a new Volkswagen Jetta. While the 2.5 liter five cylinder (!) was plenty torquey and I could accelerate quite well without dropping down a gear, the shifter throw was looong and the clutch pedal had a huuge travel distance and take up was a bit abrupt. I actually stalled this car at one point.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to drive an '08 Subaru Impreza. Any other suggestions?

Seeing the 09 Fits in person I was really turned off by the interior. Something about the gauges just didn't gel with me, and this is coming from someone who used to pan the new Civics for their weird gauges. (Though I must say, the idea of a large central tachometer and a digital speed readout has really grown on me.)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I should mention that I do a lot of high speed highway and interstate driving, which is why I'm leaning toward the Civic. Better gas mileage at high speeds and quieter on the highway as well.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
I really love the Impreza - a guy has one at work and that thing looks like so much fun. That car just begs to be driven hard and fast. Have you looked at an evo?

Cat :x

Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Let me clarify I'm talking base Impreza. No WRX models. Evo is way out of my price range.

The base Lancer, however, is something I'll have to take a look at. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
So today I test drove an '08 Subaru Impreza and an '09 Honda Civic EX coupe.

The Impreza: I really liked the smoothness of the boxer engine, and it's willingness to rev. The clutch take up and shifter seemed a bit vague, and I couldn't get a very smooth shift on my test drive. Handling seemed about par for a small sedan. I didn't like that there was no AUX input (on the model I drove).

The Civic EX: Wow. After much derision about the "two-tier" gauge design I have to take it all back and say I love the dash design of this car. The digital speedometer readout is always in your field of vision, and the large centrally mounted tach is a bonus. Shift action as well as clutch take-up was smooth and easy to get a hang of, and the car just felt really solid and high-quality. I drove an EX, which was a bit out of my price range, but I MIGHT be able to swing it with a bit of financing. (Always helps to boost that credit score!) I really like this car, and while the Fit is a great vehicle, I have to say the Civic is in a whole 'nother class. (Obviously).

So far the Civic is my favorite, with the Impreza not too far behind. The Honda dealer seemed like they'd be more willing to work with me financially than the Subaru dealer, which is of course a big bonus.

I'll keep you updated on what I decide, and I'll post pictures of whatever I get. Even if I no longer drive a Fit, I have to say this board is great as far as signal to noise ratio and the knowledgability of everyone.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I would push for a "slightly" used wrx. AWD FTW. and then t'b it.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Well I heard from the insurance company today. The Fit is totaled , however they are going to give me...more than what I paid for the car. (Tax included! Least depreciation ever for a car with 25K miles.)

This looks like it's going to seal the deal on a Civic coupe. Although the Fit is a great car, after test driving a couple Civics it looks like they'd fit my needs (no pun intended) a lot better. More comfort + more refined + equal to or better gas mileage = I'm buying that sucker.

Realistically, it might be a couple weeks before I get the check and can actually go into the dealership with cash in hand and pick up a Civic, but when I do I'll be sure to post some pics on here.

Thanks to everyone suggesting cars, even those crazies who suggested cars way out of my price range (either upfront cost or insurance/maintenance wise.) It takes all types.

I suppose this means I'm boring.

Honestly, although the exterior of the 09+ Fits has grown on me a lot, the gauges and interior I don't think I could stand. Something about the gauge layout (tachometer still isn't on the proper side ) and the way they are angled in so sharply just didn't gel with me. I guess in the end a lot of car choice does come down to personal preference. Part of it is the fact that as a drummer the gauge pods (binnacles?...I think that's what they're called) remind me of poorly set up drum kits I have had to deal with in the past. Toms all splayed out at a 45 degree angle over the bass drum...I digress...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
glad to see your the ins. co. os being cool, have fun with your new civic!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have to say I have a lot of respect for State Farm after this whole thing. They have been very timely and professional. HUUGE contrast to what my girlfriend is going through with Progressive.

She got into an accident (not her fault either) on the same night I did (that's a story in itself) in her new to her Ford Focus and apparently progressive has been hell to deal with. From paying 3000 on a car she bought for 7K three days before to not telling her they stopped paying for her rental car.

That said, I'll be picking up my new '09 Honda Civic LX coupe with a 5MT on Saturday! I'm excited, and I'll try to get some pictures up for you guys.

I went and checked out 8thcivic.com but upon lurking a bit they sort of scared me over there. Seems they don't really support the non-Si guys. Someone asked about modding their EX and basically got ripped on for several posts.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
its been my experience civic drivers... particularly the Si guys r douche bags... but what can ya do... sorry to hear progressive is being douche baggy to your gf... i would just tell them that you will be hirring a lawyer if they dont quite being assholes.... that might help

Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I picked up my 2009 Civic LX Coupe on Saturday, and after driving it around for a good day or so I'll make a quick pros/cons list for anyone wondering how the Fit stacks up.

Pros:
+Very quiet cabin
+Nimble steering
+Much more power, especially at low (<3000) RPM
+Much better tires
+Passenger gets a vanity mirror (my girl was ecstatic.)
+Similar fuel consumption with a bigger fuel tank = MUCH better range. I did 370 on the first tank with two bars left.
+Better emissions
+Awesome interior design. Now I know this isn't like some other message boards where everyone will search my post history to find any contradictions, but I admit I did hate the weird "futuristic" two-tier design when I first saw pictures of it. After driving it, however, it works great. Speed is always visible as you watch the road, and the tach is big, in the middle, and easy to read. Lighting is excellent.
+Price: 16.2 OTD

Cons:
-Not as much cargo space
-Passenger door doesn't automatically unlock (annoying)
-Accelerator pedal seems to be hinged at the floor. Weird.
-LX sound system doesn't sound as good as the Fit Sport's.
-Wheel covers vs. alloy wheels. Might have to find some aftermarket wheels....

Neither pros nor cons:

Gearbox and clutch will take a bit to get used to. Way different than the Fit's. Seems the DBW system is a bit different between the two cars.

Color: I love the NHBP paint on my Fit. On the Civic, it came down to what the dealership had. They had a silver (not sure the actual color name) Civic, and I took it. Not as pretty as the black, but a helluva lot easier to keep looking clean.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
And why not? 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt (rental car) review:

Pros:
+2.2L Ecotec engine could drag this four door sedan up to speed quicker than you'd think.
+Dashboard display: You could cycle through outside temp./vehicle mileage, two trip meters, average MPG, instant MPG, average speed, coolant temperature, oil life, and tire pressures for each individual tire.
+Stereo system: Not sure of the wattage, but it had AUX input, and a visual EQ. Bass was good and deep. Radio station/CD track info. could also be displayed.

Cons:
-Utterly boring to drive. Electric power steering felt, instead of tight and responsive as in the Fit and Civic, dull and disconnected. Brakes were mushy and didn't inspire much confidence, and the line between threshold braking and wheel lock up was hard to find.
-Interior quality: The climate control blower motor made a noise as if one of the bearings was not lubricated. The glove box fell open going over some railroad tracks. This was on a 10,000 mile car.
-4 speed automatic transmission. Today, even in an economy car, four speeds doesn't quite cut it.
-Poor mileage: Maybe I've been spoiled by Hondas, but I think an economy car should be able to get better than 25-26 mpg on the highway. Caveat: I do drive fast. Which brings me to my next point...
-The car they rented me was bright pull me over red. On Thanksgiving night I was driving home on the interstate doing about 80 in a 70 mph area. Want to guess what happened?

Overall it was, as I told my dad, "It's a pretty...okay car." It will get you from one place to another will minimal drama, but also minimal fun. Would I buy one? Definitely not.

Not that all American cars are bad (as some on here like to imply), or even that all GM cars are bad. My girlfriend was rented a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu, and she let me drive it for a bit. It was a very comfortable, very well put together car. If I was in the market for a relatively large four door sedan (I'm not), I would consider a new generation Malibu.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CorrodesTheFilm
-Passenger door doesn't automatically unlock (annoying)
Unlocking Passenger Door

Read this thread carefully. I "corrected" my doors this way. They will (all) unlock when you put the car in park.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
glad everything worked out, read your owners manual it tells how to set up the door locks i had my 08 civic set up to unlock in park and unlock when i engaged a gear.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the door unlock info!

I knew there had to be a way to make that damn passenger side door unlock, as the driver's door always does. at me.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
nice reviews! and congrats on your new car!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CorrodesTheFilm
Thanks for the door unlock info!

I knew there had to be a way to make that damn passenger side door unlock, as the driver's door always does. at me.
I'm actually glad you got a Civic and didn't settle for a GE8 if you didn't really love it. To me, they are 2 different cars, not the same car. Good review of the Civic, and the Cobalt. American cars, especially economy cars, are just CHEAPLY made. Ick.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hey hey hey what does the government say?

I've got a few horrible pictures of the new Civic for you guys. Trying to think of a name...my Fit was Lisa due to the L15A motor.

These were taken with a cell phone camera and therefore aren't really good quality. But it's a Civic. Everyone has seen them 10000 times anyway.

The front end has been slightly redesigned for twenty ought nine. I think it makes the car look a bit more aggressive. Also no chrome lip which I always thought looked sorta dumb. ("Sport grille" on the Fit makes it look like the thing has an overbite.)

I took an interior shot too, but it's being slow about being sent from my phone to my email. I'll throw it up when I get it.

Quick Reply: I crashed my car and I am sad.