General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Anyone using a hydrogen generator yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by winkydink
Not only is it a scam, it's been around forever. A friend of mine tried this on his then-new 77 Mustang II. It didn't do squat. Of course, he was using 20th century hydrogen. I hear the new and improved 21st century hydrogen is much better.

Aw, you read that line in one of the same websites I visited. But it is one of the automotive scams I did not remember from the last century. Not surprized though. There was one that dropped a pill in water that converted it to fuel. Maybe that was condensed and solidified hydrogen.
Then there was the Fisher carb. Then the ...
Take the word of an engineer who ran a hydrogen generator for nuclear work, the energy it requires to generate enough hydrogen to matter would require a BIG trailer with its own generator, pretty much negating any hydrogen fuel benefit. Its the hangup in the hydrogen alternative fuel proposals.

Course, you should also watch the reaction of hydrogen when it burns, I mean explodes. Spectacular ! It is very dangerous, makes a very lethal hand grenade as some high schoolers chemical experiments proved.

Last edited by mahout; 08-26-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
PHuck it, if you spent the time to calculate that shit, I am not even gonna waste my time on it. On youtube there's an assload of videos, but how accurate are MPG meters on domestic cars anyway The only setups really puttin up big numbers had battery isolators and oversized alternators. I am still curious as hell how the ronnmotors.com unit works that they are using in the scorpion, a twin turbo TLS motor with thier (proprietary) design

Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM
links

Hey would you copy those links on here for us?I'd like to read more on that.
Thanks
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
there are pretty efficient units that have low draw and high output. I have been lookin around a lot and i have seen civic 1.6 liters go from 35-60mpg, accord from 28-40+. Looking at the systems some people have simple setups, and some have crazy ones. Hydrogen is going to be the next major fuel source, but the way it aids regular gas engines is insane. I was reading up on some auto x-prize cars and they are using fuel vapor injectors in a glorified CRX getting 90mpg.

plus the ronn motorsports scorpion runs a turbo TL-S motor with on-board hydrogen generator and achieves 450hp at 40+mpg. The technology is out there. If someone combined the vapor injection and hydrogen you could probably break the 100mpg mark on that same CRX

Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by CBX
I am still trying to decide whether my power source should tap a flux capacitor, or dilithium crystals.

LoL ahh that made me laugh.

pst the fit looks a bit like a shuttle craft

Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
my dad has a home built one on his diesel truck and he recently has been getting a better mpg average but he had to upgrade his alternator cause to convert the hydrogen it takes a constant current and quite a few amps to make this work effectively. i have not seen these work that well on gas engines though.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the bigger the motor the better the fuel savings

Old 01-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
my dad has a home built one on his diesel truck and he recently has been getting a better mpg average but he had to upgrade his alternator cause to convert the hydrogen it takes a constant current and quite a few amps to make this work effectively. i have not seen these work that well on gas engines though.

Can you get before and after MPGs?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
15-18 before and 22-26 after for the 7.3L ford powerstroke diesel.
its pretty phenominal for a truck.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
everyone at hhoforums got much bigger improvement on the trucks than on the cars, but with the diesels you can also add a propane tank an run a light propane jet, and between the HHO and propane you get ridiculous power, better mileage, and it runs cleaner.

What is your dad using as a flash suppressor, just a bubbler like a bong?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
the hydrogen generator and bubbler are all in one unit. its a crazy setup but really safe. they look like two bottles setting next to each other.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
traditional wet setup then, how many plates?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
im not sure on the details on it. i have not seen inside the hydrogen generator.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I just installed one into my Fit 2 days ago. I mounted it right behind the driver side radiator fan. I had to fabricate a shelf for it to sit on cause it's so compact under the hood I could not find another place to mount it vertically. I have not seen any gas improvement yet. That being said, I have traveled only 200 miles with it installed with head wind most of the time, up to 30 knots one night. My big question is do I need to bypass any sensors?

Last edited by Goodmunkey; 06-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
the hydrogen generator and bubbler are all in one unit. its a crazy setup but really safe. they look like two bottles setting next to each other.
im not sure on the details on it. i have not seen inside the hydrogen generator.
Originally Posted by Goodmunkey
I just installed one into my Fit 2 days ago. I mounted it right behind the driver side radiator fan. I had to fabricate a shelf for it to sit on cause it's so compact under the hood I could not find another place to mount it vertically. I have not seen any gas improvement yer. That bing said, I have traveled only 200 miles with it installed with head wind most of the time, up to 30 knots one night. My big question is do I need to bypass any sensors?

pics or it never happened!!! - just curious

Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed
Ya if we can get better MPG Let's test this!! Our resident mad scientist Chris should be involved. Hey Diamondstarmonster what do you have to say here?
Big Mike

Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Ooooh, recent action, any pics or MPG logs would be awesome.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Subscribed
Ya if we can get better MPG Let's test this!! Our resident mad scientist Chris should be involved. Hey Diamondstarmonster what do you have to say here?
Big Mike
I want to start off saying that I like hydrogen as a fuel and when added to a vehicle like the Fit in stock form you could probably burn a little colder and use a little less fuel if you could continually provide enough Hydrogen to make it worth while.

It is a bit of an oddball fuel when used in this manner though. When taken from water it takes a good deal of energy and doing this on board to produce Brown's gas (HHO) at a rate that would feed even our little 1.5L motors would take a large amount of electrical energy and is for the average commuters purposes impractical.

You are going to need to replace about 25:1 (4% is the lower flammability limit) of the air/fuel charge, which does not sound like a lot but we are not talking about a fixed volume. The system has to reference vacuum/boost like a normal fuel pressure regulator would.

It also has a very high RON rating between 130-140, but a very low MON which has interesting implications that I don't have time to discuss at the moment.

We don't really have the compression to take advantage of hydrogen unless you boost it or get some high-comp slugs something like 13:1CR or greater. You would also need control over the timing advance and primary fuel mixture.

In terms of cost, complexity and practicality you would be better off going with a propane injection system.

Dual Fuel setups using a gas like hydrogen or propane with a liquid primary like gas or diesel are referred to as fumigation setups.

Again, I like hydrogen as a fuel and look forward to more vehicles like the FCX Clarity, but doing it in this fashion, you would be better off with a propane injection system.

Anyone planning on using a secondary fuel.. or really anything other than straight gasoline in their Fit should really spend the money on a UEGO controller/sensor and have a bung welded in just before the catalytic converter. Because otherwise you have no idea what you are actually doing.

Here's a tip: if you are planning on harvesting any appreciable amount of hydrogen from an on board generator collect from the cathode side.

You will need a beefy circuit, cables, battery and alternator to do this properly.

Lets do some quick Fit math:

1.5L * 6500rpm = 9.75m3

9.75m3 = 344.3ft3

Then:
At standard conditions, dry air at sea level at 59 ºF and 29.92"Hg, air weighs 0.0765 lb/ft³

You want kg/ft³......
0.0765 pound = 0.0346998 kilogram

And:
1 ft³/m * 60 = 60 ft³/h
60 ft³/h * 0.0765 lb/ft³ = 4.59 lb/h
4.59 lb/h * 0.4535924 = 2.081989116 kg/h

So at red line you will need 169kg/h hydrogen.

Let's say you added a 30A circuit to generate your hydrogen. This is like what you would put your oven or dishwasher on in your house...

12-Volt, 30-Amp circuit: 360 Watts.
Heat of formation, liquid water: -285 kiloJoules per mole
360 Watts, -285 kJ/mol: 0.009 kg H2 per hour

Which gives you a ratio of 53250:1 or 0.0018%, which is only several magnitudes of order off from what you would need at minimum for hydrogen combustion (25:1 or 4%).

Just use refillable propane tanks. You will have tangible results in terms of fuel economy and it will simulate a performance fuel. A basic tuning piggy back would be a good idea as well.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 06-03-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Make sure you research HYDROGEN EMBRITTLEMENT. I'm not sure if it can effect a Fit or not. Its when hydrogen atoms diffuse in hard metals and can cause fractures. If I'm correct it only happens with specific metals. You should look into it to make sure you would be safe...good luck I hope it works!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
hydrogen embrittlement happens when the base metal sweats of opens up allowing hydrogen inside resulting in porosity.

exposing metals to hydrogen at ambient temp. doesnt create this as far as i have worked with it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I smell BULLSHIZZZZZZ..........................

Quick Reply: Anyone using a hydrogen generator yet?