General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Aggressive Angry Drivers? Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
people have such weird attitudes about driving in the united states. i dont think alot of people understand the concept of SLOWER TRAFFIC YIELD TO RIGHT LANE. if someone wants to go faster than you, get over and let them pass. its not that big of a deal. its harder to change direction when going faster than it is when you are going slower. you have to be considerate of others around you and that means people behind you too. dont be a selfish driver.

if you have ever driven anywhere in europe, you understand this concept and it makes for a better driver.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
people have such weird attitudes about driving in the united states. i dont think alot of people understand the concept of SLOWER TRAFFIC YIELD TO RIGHT LANE. if someone wants to go faster than you, get over and let them pass. its not that big of a deal. its harder to change direction when going faster than it is when you are going slower. you have to be considerate of others around you and that means people behind you too. dont be a selfish driver.

if you have ever driven anywhere in europe, you understand this concept and it makes for a better driver.
AND I get the heck out of the slow lane when I see a large semi truck coming behind. It's a lot easier for me to maneuver over than it is for the truck guy.

I've been on many motorcycles in my time, and have scars to prove it. I've been on bicycles. I've been on foot. I've ridden in semi-trucks. And all kinds of cars and trucks.

I know people don't always see motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians, so I look for them. As a pedestrian, I will often wave on the vehicles, because it's easier for ME to stop. That's cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles. And don't even think about getting in the way as a pedestrian when there is a mom on roller blades with a baby race carriage. She's got NO brakes.

As a driver, I wave on the bicycles, because it's a lot harder for them to get going at a good pace again. I listen for motorcycles, and check my rearviews often, in case they are lane sharing during bumper to bumper, and i try to make room for them.

Having been in the semi truck, and feeling the truck brakes strain a bit with a double trailer of gravel behind, that is NOT something anyone ever wants to cut in front of...and yet people that. It's like pulling in front of a train. What, they think tons of rocks can stop in 50 feet? I don't think so.

So I clear the way for the trucks, get out of their way behind me, and if I ever see a truck or bus trying to change lanes, *I* make the space for them, sometimes I use my hazards, and always do the high beam flash so they know it's cool to get over.

Still have to watch out for people glaring and pulling in front of me almost into the truck or bus. But those guys HAVE to get over. Ever ridden in a bus, like public transit? Regular drivers do NOT want to let buses in. What is up with that???

It's greatly rewarding to do what we should be doing. I got the thumbs up from the bicyclists. I let a slower man using two canes get across the street, and I got the two cane salute!

One time I had pulled off at the toll plaza on the Bay Bridge, to use the restroom. And when I went to merge back on, NOBODY would let me in.

FINALLY someone let me in. And I paid their toll.

They caught up to me on the bridge , smiling and waving .

For most cases in driving, it works best to put yourself in everyone else's position. Letting someone in isn't that big of a deal. Whether it's merging cars or giant trucks.

Keeping to the right and maybe even having to slow down in order to let faster traffic flow by, that's a good thing. I am not really sure what some jerk wanted me to do a few years back. Two lanes coming back from Pacifica, with a posted sign of 55 MAXIMUM SPEED LIMIT and I'm doing 55 in the slow lane. And this dork gets on my butt and flashes his brights, as if i should pull over...into what, the cliff side? Then he roars past me in the fast lane. What was that about?

I figure I will keep trying to be extra courteous to make it easier on other people. And maybe they will remember how easy it WAS for them to merge, and will give the next person a break.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Taffeta... very insightful and i could not agree more with everything you have said. i do try to allow other drivers to pass me, what irks me the most is in snowy icy conditions. last sat. we had a nasty storm (for us here in NY) and i was out driving on main roads only. they were horrible! i struggled getting up hills and was going 25 tops.... here comes this moron in an accord plowing along at 45-50 WEAVING in and out of cars ON A SNOWY ICY ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he even cut off a SNOW PLOW!!!!!!! A FREAKIN SNOW PLOW!!!!!!!!! how dumb are people.... if any one deserved to crash it was that idiot....

Also Tafetta love the blurb about having a moron sail by only to b pulled over.... makes me all fuzzy inside! lol

Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez

Yeah, this is my biggest pet peeve. Really, the left lane should be for passing only, but some people seem to think it's the "see if you can match the speed of the dude on your right" lane. On a long road trip there's nothing worse than some guy driving 61mph next to a semi going 60mph in a 75mph zone. Argghhh!

In my old car I drove a lot more aggressively, but it was made of plastic and I didn't really care about it. Now I'm much better behaved on the road

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Haha in detroit if you are going slow in the left lane you will get shot and or run off the road. It is a pet peeve of mine too. The left lane is for passing.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
agreed... if you are not passing some one who is in the right lane... GTFO the left lane!!!!!! i belive in germany u can get a HUGE fine for preventing ppl from passing by driving slowly in the wrong lane...

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think bad economic times + snow can bring frustration for a lot of people.

i personally drive pretty spiritedly (unless the weather is crappy) so ive
yet to feel any pressure from other folks.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
I hate when the speed limit on i95 is 70mph (minimum 50) and I'm doing 60mph in the slow lane and people give me the death stare when they pass me. Like I inconvenienced them or something. It's really bad on 2-lane roads, same situation...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Yes, I see them too. But I try to be the courteous driver, to make it as easy as possible for everyone on the road.

I think it was being discussed in the Eco Fit forum, where people try to save gas by driving more slowly. And there are so many people in rushes. It's not our fault if someone else is late to work.

But if we have the time at the moment, and they certainly don't seem to have any time to spare, let them go ahead. Let them merge. Let them pass. Give them the right of way at stop signs if it's a tossup as to who got there first.

Even when I had to run off the road on FOOT with a full load of groceries in my folding cart, because a car was headed for me...I went right over to be sure that the driver was OK.

It was an older lady with an older man as the passenger. Now, I COULD have yelled at them. Most people WOULD have yelled at them. I was shaken up, but not nearly as much as the lady was.

She'd kind of run into the island part, and seemed confused. The man looked at me while she was trying to do something and he asked "Can you help her?"

Wow. That broke my heart. I was trying my very best to calm her down. You know those plastic bendable upright reflector things that are not car damaging, but are supposed to show where not to go? She'd driven over one of those, and it was bent sticking out from under her car.

She was trying to remove it, and it wasn't budging, it was adhered to the street! She was so flustered though, what I was saying wasn't sinking in.

Getting mad wouldn't have helped. And getting mad in general, EVEN IF SOMEONE ELSE IS MAD doesn't help. It makes us more focused on being angry, instead of DRIVING!!!

Being distracted by the anger felt at some doofus on the highway and plotting out revenge 100 different ways is just as distracting as the doofus was distracted themselves by chatting on their cell phone. Or racing along because they were late.

If THEY want to take risks with their life and everyone else's lives, that's their problem, and they probably shouldn't be on the road. We don't have to do the same thing.

P.S. You ever drive safely and sanely only to have some dork whiz past you on the road? And 5 miles down the road, the dork has been pulled over for speeding? I love that.
Words of wisdom right there.

About two years ago I was driving on I-4 in Tampa. I have no idea what I did to a guy, but he pulled in front of me and stood on his brakes at least 4 times. I'm talking smoke and black marks on the highway from this! I was in my S2000 and was able to slow more quickly than him each time so I never hit him which I think the nutjob wanted. I wanted nothing more than to tap him out and knock the s&$* out of him but I let him go. He was going to kill himself, which at that time would have been fine with me, kill me or any number of other drivers on the road. BTW, this was after work so the road was full of traffic. The guy was nuts.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
There are always going to be assholes what want to mess with you. Just got to deal with it. I always keep a stash of old AA energizer batteries...

Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
There are always going to be assholes what want to mess with you. Just got to deal with it. I always keep a stash of old AA energizer batteries...
that's both the best idea and worst idea i've heard all week. maybe i should keep my own stash.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Hey,
I have had several occasions while driving my fit to and from work that other drivers are pulling right up to my bumper in an almost threatening manner. Is it the Peace symbol on my back hatch that makes people mad or is it just my car? I had a moron in a giant truck pull up the other night, right to my bumper, flashing his brights.
I live about a half hour north of Detroit. It might be the motor city anger over foreign cars and the economy. I don't know.
I have to say that I'm proud to have stayed under control and not gotten into any fights.
Just had to vent.
Let me know what you think.

I drive a "big truck," but I rarely speed because its hard to stop one ton of steel and brass. I never follow too close to the guy in front of me!

People simply hate to go the speed LIMIT!

I need to have a bumper sticker that states:

WHAT DOES SPEED LIMIT MEAN TO YOU?!

And my truck motor is powerful to the point that, when I "lose it," I race them from the red light. They aren't that fast!

Another bumper sticker:

RACE YOU TO THE RED LIGHT!

One word...STOOPID PEOPLE. OK, two words.

Suggestion...Take the peace sign off the bumper and replace it with a Screw You sticker. The result will be the same bad behavior from the a-hole behind you!

Stoopid people!

^ ^ ^ ^ Don't let this be you!

(I could go on and on! )

Oh, I "carry," too.

Later,

Old 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
ohhh I hate when it's a red light up ahead so I take my foot off the gas, and people behind me get right up to my bumper...why speed up and brake hard at a light? Only idiots who don't care about their mpg and brake-life do that.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
ugh i hate assholes... they r all just compensating... i get tailgated, run off the road, merged into(almost, handling saved me there) yeah F them...

A##holes. Everybody either is one, knows one, or has one. C'est la vie.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
I always keep a stash of old AA energizer batteries...
For tossing out of your window?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
like the old saying goes

"everyone who drives faster than me are maniacs, and everyone that drives slower than me are slowpoke assholes"

Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
i fight back in my fit. i dont care if you are in a lifted truck or a slammed car. if you push my limits i will return the fight.

i love riding my motorcycle because i will dick around and kick peoples cars if they put my life in danger by cutting me off or coming into my lane.

DGAF

Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
For tossing out of your window?
Bombs away.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Bombs away.
That'll teach 'em!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I think regardless of wherever you live or travel to, there will always be crazy people on the road. I've had my few stories here and there... sometimes trucks tailgating me or even the same damn car following me.

One time an xA was trying to race and he got pissed off because I didnt want to race. He pulled up in front of me and threw a mcdonalds cup full of soda out the window. I managed to swerve out of the lane. I was pissed... caught up to him and showed him what i had. He just got owned by a chick.

Another time, I was with a friend in a truck and this mustang was tailgating us. He went into the emergency lane to pass us and threw a cup at us. They missed and so to get them back, i told my friend to pull up to them and play their game... i threw a cup at them to. We had to get off the next exit and so they followed. When we were at the light, the driver and the passenger came up to my window and began yelling at me. I was just like "dude, you threw a cup and i played your game... im sure you didnt like it either." and they left.

I rarely get road rage, but when i do its because other people instigate it.

Quick Reply: Aggressive Angry Drivers? Anyone else?