General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I regret buying an auto Fit :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
Couldn't have been better said!!
just make a game out of driving your AT, use sport mode more, i think you'll like it more, i use my paddles in D mode ALL THE TIME, mostly when slowing to a stop or i'll down shift half way thru a corner rather than using the brakes, i love my AT but thats cuz i have a 6speed AWD civic wagon and a 300+ hp CRX 5sp
Since I got the Base, I simply downshift to assist in braking.

Isn't it just like using the paddleshifters?

I mean, same wear (no tear : ) on the tranny?

After all, Honda makes good $hit!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
theloxmyth - how much did it cost you to install that cruise control? How does it work?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
theloxmyth - how much did it cost you to install that cruise control? How does it work?
Think'n it cost 'round $320, only!

Tapped into a few wires, including the gas pedal (drive by wire) wires.

I WAS worried the BLITZ throttle controller install would affect the C/C, but it did not. FTW!

I installed the OEM remote door lock module, the OEM alarm module and the C/C in the same week.

The instructions are easy to decipher, but I had to put my thinking-cap on, when it came to the relay and the column mounted switch!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
The OEM remote entry is something I'm looking for. I read some PDF's online and it looked easy enough. Who makes the cruise control? It can't be OEM, I'm assuming.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
The OEM remote entry is something I'm looking for. I read some PDF's online and it looked easy enough. Who makes the cruise control? It can't be OEM, I'm assuming.
Data Cruise, I think is the name of it.
XK601 - Data Cruise Control w/ Programmable Vehicle Firmware

Mine came with the optional cruise handle, Part # 204-5129.

Google search is your friend.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
My last car was an automatic. I have a base Fit that is MT and for the time being, i can never go back to auto. When i drive my gf's AT it feels weird. It seems like I'm not driving it right. LOL. When I had an AT car, I'd be itching to drive my friends MT subies, hondas, and nissans. But now I can drive my own . And i just got an aftermarket keyless/alarm, problem solved. I drove to vegas last weekend and I did kinda wish i had CC. But i raaarely ever use it. But I'm sure most MT drivers will agree that driving MT is just too much fun

Originally Posted by theloxmyth
Think'n it cost 'round $320, only!

Tapped into a few wires, including the gas pedal (drive by wire) wires.

I WAS worried the BLITZ throttle controller install would affect the C/C, but it did not. FTW!

I installed the OEM remote door lock module, the OEM alarm module and the C/C in the same week.

The instructions are easy to decipher, but I had to put my thinking-cap on, when it came to the relay and the column mounted switch!
You are the MAN!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
My first car was an MT '94 Ford F-150. The stick was 2 feet long! I drove the crap out of it for 8 years and I can tell you, I don't miss it at all.

(And I know, apples to oranges. That was the point. But still, I can drive a MT, but I don't really miss it right now. I didn't buy the Fit to get a faux sports car.)

Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Get rid of it and get a MT. I was in the same dilemna you were in with my first new car.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Retired Moderator
I have an AT. Only becuase the Fit was originally bought for my mom, but i quikly bought it from my parents soon after they bought it. I was bummed that it was a AT, but i still loved the way it drove. And the paddles really sold me, they are a blast. I still wish it was a MT all the time though, just becuase i LOVE driving and i feel rather disconected at times due to the lack of control, even with the car in S using the paddles. Plus the power, and MPG lack compared with the MT. But Overall im happy with my AT. I know my next car will be a MT, but for now i really enjoy driving my car.
Lets just say this, if it was a more traditional AT without S mode and paddles i would have sold it for a MT.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
I used to drive MT back in HK and hated it cos of the traffic there. Thats prolly the reason I got the AT fit. On top of that, My girlfriend cant drive MT (The car was intended for school/work/DD - now its a pure display)

I think MT is fun to drive, and you definately have more control - but having said that AT with sport shifter gives you another driving experience.

You feel regret now for not having an MT, but when you do a MT, you prolly regret not getting a AT. If I were you, stick with the AT for now, and maybe a couple of years later... when you can afford another car, maybe you can get a MT?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 AM
All of my previous vehicles were stick. I love MT; it is fun to drive.

However, the AT Fit with paddles is much different than an AT Fit without paddles. For that matter, it is much different than Tiptronic, Steptronic, or all of those other halfway allows you to shift stuff.

The paddles allow you to downshift when needed (need additional speed for passing or power for going up a hill?). And, if you want more control in shifting, you can put it in the mode where you have to shift with the paddles.

I don't think I would enjoy a standard AT Fit. However, I don't regret my first AT purchase of a Sport Fit with paddles.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
It all depends on your situation really. I have a big family, and this usually means all the cars in the driveway play musical chairs. I can't expect everyone to know how to drive with a manual transmission, and LA traffic kicks my butt (my work commute is the San Gabriel valley to the UCLA area). The Fit with an auto tranny made the most sense.

But don't get me wrong, there are ways to make an AT fun....*ahem*

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
It doesn't make a difference in my opinion. It's the same 1.5Litre engine. It's not like its the VQ35 where there is a huge difference with MT vs AT.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
My first car was an MT '94 Ford F-150. The stick was 2 feet long! I drove the crap out of it for 8 years and I can tell you, I don't miss it at all.

Not to hijack, but this was an "omg me too!" moment.
My first car was a 94 F-150 too, but auto. I junked it at 225k miles. I loved that truck and I think of it now and then.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fit4Pits
Not to hijack, but this was an "omg me too!" moment.
My first car was a 94 F-150 too, but auto. I junked it at 225k miles. I loved that truck and I think of it now and then.
Hahaha, and to add to "omg me too!", I also live in CT and my baby is a pittie:

Name:  n14101585_30992678_2063.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  49.1 KB

Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
usmc brings up a good point!

the whole m/t/at thing seems to be a big deal for fit guys.

(that must be why everyone feels the need to put which one they drive in their sig...)

i kinda regret it, but its only because of the performance aspect. if my fit was a manual, i could do more boost, short shifters, and the like.

but that would give me the itch to mod sooner and right now, struggling with the idea of modding my a/t or just getting a gti or a tsx has save me some dough, and it helps me keep my fun grocery getter just that: a reliable daily driver that handles curves remarkably well.

for now, jaime will do.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1WayFit
It doesn't make a difference in my opinion. It's the same 1.5Litre engine. It's not like its the VQ35 where there is a huge difference with MT vs AT.
and i run MT on my G.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
usmc brings up a good point!

the whole m/t/at thing seems to be a big deal for fit guys.

that's because Fit guys are more of car enthusiasts than your
typical econo-box owner.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
Hahaha, and to add to "omg me too!", I also live in CT and my baby is a pittie
Obviously Fits, pits and pickup trucks are some of the best things in life.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
I live in somewhat hilly country, and I find that the AT is geared completely wrong for fuel economy on hills. On the one hand, I can maintain speed in 5th by pushing it to 90-95% load, barely making 30 MPG, or I can downshift to 4th and keep it at 80-something load, again 30 MPG. And don't get me started on how quick the torque converter is to unlock if it thinks you're going uphill, putting out 20 MPG and below...

I want an MT.

Quick Reply: I regret buying an auto Fit :(