General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I regret buying an auto Fit :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
that's because Fit guys are more of car enthusiasts than your
typical econo-box owner.

ha ha i guess.

but i think its more of a 'i just so happened to get this car and handles great' than a ' i bought it because it performs so well!' type of thing.

it is first and foremost, an economy car. a very nice one.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
ha ha i guess.

but i think its more of a 'i just so happened to get this car and handles great' than a ' i bought it because it performs so well!' type of thing.

it is first and foremost, an economy car. a very nice one.
i agree. Most people probably got it for an economy car, and the Fit being a worthy platform for tuning(more than other econo boxes) is just a plus.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
OP...I know how u feel. I bought the 08 AT in 10/07 and traded it in on 12/07 for an 08 MT. I'm very satisfied w/ the MT, but it was an expen$ive lesson.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
You can shift with the paddles if you need to.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
I bought a MT but sometimes whish i had AT on long trips and in traffic. But hey at least it still is a fit. There are lots of nice At fits out there even some super charged. So keep ur fit and mod it how u want to and have fun
I love the auto. It might be a little slower, but not terribly. After all it IS a 5 speed auto. Its nice not to have to deal with the Manual in construction zones, or when you are eating. . . My girlfriend doesnt drive stick so ANY I know can drive it. Oh! If you hurt yourself, auto is easier. The mileage is about the same. One more thing: The Auto has higher gearing. 3000rpm is 80mph

Last edited by StillHaveaFit!; 01-22-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
I bought a MT but sometimes whish i had AT on long trips and in traffic. But hey at least it still is a fit. There are lots of nice At fits out there even some super charged. So keep ur fit and mod it how u want to and have fun
08fithappy: I've never driven the Manual Fit. Would love to try yours when you come to see the hitch if you dont mind. My last 3 cars were stick.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
i agree. Most people probably got it for an economy car, and the Fit being a worthy platform for tuning(more than other econo boxes) is just a plus.

yes! very good way to put it.

all in all, i'm glad i have an auto, most of my daily grind is highspeed highway, and the last thing i want is revs nearing 4k every-single-day.

there are enough parts out there for auto fits to feed the need mod if and when the time comes.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Having paddle shifters would probably aleviate my regrets. But honestly trading it in is out of the question, so that cash will just have to be thrown into springs, wheels, strut bars, window tint, intake or drop in filter and exhaust slowly over time and deal with it.

Now next question is to buy a lip kit or not!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah, Edison, man up and freak that Fit!!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
Having paddle shifters would probably aleviate my regrets. But honestly trading it in is out of the question, so that cash will just have to be thrown into springs, wheels, strut bars, window tint, intake or drop in filter and exhaust slowly over time and deal with it.

Now next question is to buy a lip kit or not!

even though its not a manual, and without paddle shifters, you can still have fun shifting the 1,2, and D. And you can still have plenty of fun with the mods. I got the base because i like the way it looks without all the lip stuff. Just looks more JDM to me that way(kinda like the GD1), and not to mention the spoon fit. Weee! I actually know a guy who can drive an auto like a manual, and is crazy with it. I don't know how that works though? lol

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I've never really like the paddles. They feel kinda cheap to me and the car feels weird when I shift with them. I guess I'm just used to my clutch

Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM
If you have an AUTO and want a MT, dont lose money and trade it in, buy a used sportbike with the money instead. You wont even THINK about the Fit MT anymore!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Actually ive never had first hand experience with the paddle shifters on the AT fit. I've driven a 01 acura TL-S with the tiptronic shift or whatever. But the car would still shift up for you, if you didnt shift yourself. And if you tried downshifting, it would just shift up again. You really had barely any control over the gear. I thought it was kinda lame. Are the paddle shifters the same way?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
Actually ive never had first hand experience with the paddle shifters on the AT fit. I've driven a 01 acura TL-S with the tiptronic shift or whatever. But the car would still shift up for you, if you didnt shift yourself. And if you tried downshifting, it would just shift up again. You really had barely any control over the gear. I thought it was kinda lame. Are the paddle shifters the same way?
The paddle shifters will downshift if you get too slow (thus avoiding a stall), but the will NOT upshift. You will bounce off the rev-limiter

Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StillHaveaFit!
The paddle shifters will downshift if you get too slow (thus avoiding a stall), but the will NOT upshift. You will bounce off the rev-limiter
ooh i see. Than the paddle shifters sound much more useful than i assumed they'd be. Yeah because automaticaly upshifting, if you didnt up shift yourself is kinda lame. And automaticaly upshifting if you purposely down shifted is lame too.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 AM
I always thought the AT paddles were cool, and that Honda implemented them really well. That said, nothing could EVER beat the feeling of a lightweight transmission with a short shifter and solid bushings. I can feel every part of the transmission meshing and unmeshing when I shift, and I gotta say sometimes that's the reason I get up in the morning.

Plus, the *snick* sounds way cool.

Yeah, mechanical engineer here. I'm a nerd.

As for trading in (up) to an MT, it really is an emotional decision. For me, I knew I'd never enjoy driving any torque converter AT. I learned on an MT, and I'll never pick an AT (short of a DSG like in the VW GTI). That said, my dad knows how to drive stick, and does enjoy it to an extent, but he picks an auto for every car he buys.

So, like I said before, it's emotional. Will you lose money on a trade in? Yes. Is it worth it? That's up to you. I'd do it without hesitation.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised this is such a hot topic.

Anyway, I have a beater Geo Prizm I'm probably gonna see and take that cash (plus a bit extra) and get another car as my next spar car (the Geo serves that purpose right now, but isn't running). I considered instead of trading in the Fit for an MT, just getting another Honda product (1994-1995-ish Integra, Civic) or some other quality used car (no domestics though). I figure I can get my MT fix that way, as long as I make sure the tranny and clutch aren't on their death beds.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm surprised this is such a hot topic.

Anyway, I have a beater Geo Prizm I'm probably gonna see and take that cash (plus a bit extra) and get another car as my next spar car (the Geo serves that purpose right now, but isn't running). I considered instead of trading in the Fit for an MT, just getting another Honda product (1994-1995-ish Integra, Civic) or some other quality used car (no domestics though). I figure I can get my MT fix that way, as long as I make sure the tranny and clutch aren't on their death beds.
The choice is yours obviously, but please dont count the Fit out with out a test drive. You will find bad comments about ANY car. Check it out for yourself. I can't say enough good things about my Fit. I've driven over 40 different cars (not owned them) and I think the Fit is near the top of the list for what it is.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
StillHaveAFit! -- I own a NHBP 2008 Base Fit with the AT already. Coming up on the one year mark next month! I kept my old car (the 1996 Prizm) as a daily, but there's always something wrong with it.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
StillHaveAFit! -- I own a NHBP 2008 Base Fit with the AT already. Coming up on the one year mark next month! I kept my old car (the 1996 Prizm) as a daily, but there's always something wrong with it.
You should just get a nice CRX to satisfy your MT itch. Theyre dirt cheap no?

Quick Reply: I regret buying an auto Fit :(