General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: Portable or Built-in Navigation System?
Portable (Garmin, Tom-Tom, Magellan, etc)
71.05%
Built-in by Honda
28.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Do you prefer portable NAV or built-in Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Interstate526
sounds like another downfall of the infamous iDrive...
LOL! for real!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
How do you guys attach your portable navi to the car? I know in California its illegal to attack it to the windshield. Do you guys buy aftermarket attachment devices that plant to the car dash or something?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
CBX
Mine is on the dash. Here is a link to some;
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...solutions.html

Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
How do you guys attach your portable navi to the car? I know in California its illegal to attack it to the windshield. Do you guys buy aftermarket attachment devices that plant to the car dash or something?
is it illegal? Everyone does it though. LOL. Mine is mounted to the dash just to the left of the AC vents. But before, I had mine mounted on that little window next to the side mirror, on the driver side. I didnt like how i had to reach really far to press the gps.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
portable FTW and especially the price

Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Exclamation I prefer the aftermarket NAVI unit

Not an option on this poll, but it's really the best value for me.

I spent a total of $800 for the Pionneer AVIC F90BT installed including the Honda NAV panel.

I had a portable Garmin, but I got tired of the junky-looking window attachment and cords, and having to have other accessories for bluetooth, XM radio, etc.

It's just cleaner and less-confusing to have it all in one unit. The aftermarket has many more options than the factory one as well - Bluetooth, XM, Sirius, Back-up camera, HD Radio, SD card, USB, iPod.

When I had a separate Garmin/XM/Stereo/Bluetooth, if I got an incoming call I had to scramble to mute all those things to answer the call. Now my system automatically handles that.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
yeah aftermarket in-dash navis are wayyy cooler and still cheaper than the factory ones. But IMO any in dash unit is more prone to be stolen, than a portable one. I always take mine off when i park.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
I already have a magellan which I absolutely adore! I've owned 2 now and returned 1 Tom Tom. But I'm really stoked about the built in Nav on the '09, I am seriously considering trading up!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Garmin 200W, simple, easy to use, wider screen, portable to use in our Fit, Ridgeline and Pilot. Cost savings considering what a built-in would cost for 3 vehicle, easy to take with you, does the job well enough. I use the magnet disc on dash so have no "ring" on the windshield telling people I have one somewhere. I either take with me or hide in car and just throw a Fit baseball style cap over the magnet mount on the dash. The cost of a couple extra mount kits and 3 hats is cheaper by a long ways over 3 built-ins and I can only drive one car at a time! HA!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jaime
Garmin 200W, simple, easy to use, wider screen, portable to use in our Fit, Ridgeline and Pilot. Cost savings considering what a built-in would cost for 3 vehicle, easy to take with you, does the job well enough. I use the magnet disc on dash so have no "ring" on the windshield telling people I have one somewhere. I either take with me or hide in car and just throw a Fit baseball style cap over the magnet mount on the dash. The cost of a couple extra mount kits and 3 hats is cheaper by a long ways over 3 built-ins and I can only drive one car at a time! HA!
Yeah i like the disc that you can stick on the dash, and mount the GPS to. Its alot nicer than sticking it on the window, makes the unit easier to access too. When you take down the GPS, you should just put one of those hula girl bobble heads on top of the disc. LOL!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
The portable Navi systems give you much more bang for your buck. However, I really wanted the VSA, and getting factory Nav is the only way. I must admit that the touch screen of the Nav does enhance use of the audio system. Plus, you can listen to FM and choose that cool 'equalizer' background, where the individual frequency segments jump up and down in real time. Have to choose between that and watching the road.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
Portable Navi for me. Got my girlfriend a Navigon 2100 Black Friday 2007 for $99 and comes with free Lifetime Traffic Reports. Best deal ever. Upgraded the software and now it runs faster than ever.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Portable. I travel and it's nice to have when you need nav in your rental car... (Like so many others have said!)

Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 AM
CBX
I was a GPSNut long before becoming a FitFreak!

For me, the ability to save waypoints/tracks/routes to and from my GPS receiver is paramount.

Manually entering data into the in-dash navi would be cumbersome, at best! I have a waypoint set numbering near 600 at present. I also routinely download track data from my GPS receiver(s) after each trip.

The custom POI (points of interest) capability of my Garmins lets me load traffic camera data, yielding audible and visual alarms as I approach those entrapment zones.

I can load map data containing topo maps, or even nautical charts.

I can also exchange data with units I use for boating, hiking, dirt biking, or skiing.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Portable. When I get where I'm going, I take it with me and go Geocaching. Plus, I can take it on the bus with me and see just how far off the speedometer really is. I had one 'G' model bus recently that showed 68 on the speedo and was really doing 78. The bus I had last night showed 75 but was only doing 71.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 AM
i have portable honda..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
OEM Nav Radio Sucks

I wanted VSA so I had to upgrade for $1800 hammers, the radio nav system is the worst for the money. No Sat radio, no Blue tooth, No rds unbelievable. I happen to have another car with the MyGig system and blows away the system on the fit. Shame on honda they should recall all the units and replace them or at least send out a new firmware update that allows for some of the above mentioned features. I also like the Zune to bad they sold their soul to Apple and the ipod.

Last edited by namrac; 02-10-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
This little gadget might settle all the arguments--guess it won't play a DVD, though.

Here is a link:

Garmin slips out a few more nuvifone G60 details - Engadget

Cheers

Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by namrac
I wanted VSA so I had to upgrade for $1800 hammers, the radio nav system is the worst for the money. No Sat radio, no Blue tooth, No rds unbelievable. I happen to have another car with the MyGig system and blows away the system on the fit. Shame on honda they should recall all the units and replace them or at least send out a new firmware update that allows for some of the above mentioned features. I also like the Zune to bad they sold their soul to Apple and the ipod.
I love my zune more than my iPod too. Too bad theres not much 3rd party market for the Zune.

Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
This little gadget might settle all the arguments--guess it won't play a DVD, though.

Here is a link:

Garmin slips out a few more nuvifone G60 details - Engadget

Cheers
damn, engadget.com is always gangster. LOL

Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Portable Garmin Nuvi 265 WT. Swaps easily between vehicles. Just finished a very troublesome "free" Map Update, that was more trouble than it was worth - still missing several newer roadways in Edmonton and Calgary that have been completed for quite some time. Other than that, I LOVE my GPS!

Quick Reply: Do you prefer portable NAV or built-in Honda?