General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Best service department idea!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Best service department idea!

Hi, I'm looking for some help from you guys. I work for an import dealership as a service manager and I'm looking for some ideas on how to improve customer satisfaction. I'd like to know what your dealer is doing to keep you guys happy or if there is something special that makes you want to service your car at that particular dealership. Thank you for your help!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
only 3 things i can think of that i'd want at a dealership service department are friendly staff, detail-oriented work, and prompt service.

i don't mean prompt service like i want to be helped the moment i pull up, but prompt as in not seeing a group of 4 employees standing around talking about a hot chick they just saw instead of helping customers. and it'd be nice if services could be performed on the car without damaging something else in the process.

i have never found a dealer service department that met these 3 simple criteria. i guess they're all kinda based on the staff more than the department? though the department is a reflection of its staff...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
The above, without emptying the wallet. I read a post in here somewhere recently where an owner was charged $80 for what ended up being nothing but an oil change.

Having a parts guy who knows what others are charging and isn't afraid to sell for less than full markup would be nice, too. My local parts dept hasn't gotten a dime from me because they won't even consider knocking anything off full retail price. The average consumer today has internet access and can find out what the price should be before they hit the service window. Overcharge, and you'll lose business. When Bernardi can price a part for half of what the local guy wants, I can afford to wait three days for it to arrive. I can see paying a couple of dollars more for instant gratification (provided they even have it in stock), but full retail to save a couple of days for the 'Brown' truck to arrive is out of the question.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I've been really lucky to have a dealership that has gone above and beyond for my Honda. The guys in the service department are quick to handle any problems that I bring to their attention with my car. They are friendly, smiling and always have time to talk to me like a person not a number. The offer me a ride back to work if it is going to take more time and they come back to pick me up at the end of day. They are willing to go the extra mile for my car and just the general feeling that they really do care and want to keep me coming back. They don't talk down to me because they know I am a gearhead girl.

Cat :x

Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I've always been happy with Honda/Acura service except that the dealers have their own ideas of the scope of what is necessary at each service interval. When I tell them, "Just do what's in the owner's manual" they act like I'm abusing the car. They all have their own "book" that involves things like transmission or crankcase flushes, cleaning fuel injectors, etc. Lots of money for not much, if there is no problem.

Otherwise, they always project an attitude that they are there to make me satisfied and happy, even if they have to give me bad news. I always get a clean car back, too. When I am waiting for service at the Honda dealer, the owner will often walk by and introduce himself and tell me that if I have the slightest question or problem to see him personally and he will do what is necessary for me to be a satisfied customer.

In general, I'm real easy to please, but I always appreciate their effort.

Cheers.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned
I wish that I could help you, but in 40+ years of experience with car dealer service shops, I have learned to steer clear of all of them. Since 09/06, I have owned two Fits, and have never visited a Honda service dept. except for the air bag reflash on the '07. I can't see the sense in paying $100.+ per hour labor rates for no-brainer work like oil changes and tire rotation. The multiple thread complaints about stripped and over-tightened lug nuts and over filled engines on oil changes just proves that there are "no brains" at work in many dealerships. It is nothing but a crap shoot, and all owners are much better off doing their own maintenance. I will only visit a dealer for warranty problems, and I will not expect a solution to that problem in the first visit.

An example: in 1972, I bought a new Chevy Blazer. Drove it one year, and then the right side exhaust manifold cracked badly enough to hear the exhaust leak from 30 feet away from the idling engine. The dealer where I bought it said "you must have sprayed cold water on the hot engine to cause that crack". So I parked the SUV in front of the dealership for a week with this painted on all of the windows: "I bought this lemon here--- terrible service- no warranty coverage--stay away!!!!!".

The dealer offered to do the repair under warranty if I would remove my truck, but I would have to wait until the NATIONAL BACK-ORDER OF RIGHT SIDE EXHAUST MANIFOLDS was resolved and new parts were available.

The faulty manifold was not the dealer's fault, but the scam "you did it yourself" was.

Most maintenance and/or simple repair issues are easy to do yourself. Just buy the damned Honda Fit Service Manual immediately after buying your car. The cost of the manual will be recovered the first time you use it.

Sorry OP, this does not help you at all, except for the knowledge that you only have one chance to make a good first impression, and that all of your customers can get by without you if they choose to, except for warranty problems.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by projekz
Hi, I'm looking for some help from you guys. I work for an import dealership as a service manager and I'm looking for some ideas on how to improve customer satisfaction. I'd like to know what your dealer is doing to keep you guys happy or if there is something special that makes you want to service your car at that particular dealership. Thank you for your help!
Honesty always works for me

Lots of dealerships around Calgary are not good, Tower Chrysler is trying to get my mom to go in for her second 40,000km inspection, she already had it done at 38,500km's for a cost of nearly 400$ Yep... an oil change and some spark plugs; one of which wasn't gaped properly and was causing the car to stutter at idle. It is places like that giving dealerships a bad name.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
I've been really lucky to have a dealership that has gone above and beyond for my Honda. The guys in the service department are quick to handle any problems that I bring to their attention with my car.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Let's hope Cat doesn't cut it off while I'm standing there...

Let's see:

Hot chick.

Cute car.

Great service.

Any questions?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by E = Mc2
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Let's hope Cat doesn't cut it off while I'm standing there...

Let's see:

Hot chick.

Cute car.

Great service.

Any questions?
I think you've got it exactly right. The general assortment of male customers may not rate the same level of service.