General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

FORGET THE FIT... I'm Buyin' A Volkswagen RABBIT Instead...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
3.04 turns lock to lock (steering....Golf specification). I'll take the Honda's 2.41 thank you very much!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:59 AM
mav
Originally Posted by watermelonman
I'm being reasonable by staying away from anything built by VW for the rest of my life.

I don't buy low quality overpriced garbage.
Well it depends where this low quality overpriced garbage is made. If made in Mexico, I would stay far, far away. But if its made in Germany, then it should be a good, somewhat reliable car.

And I wouldn't generalize VW as low quality overpriced garbage. My best friend just brought the new GTI and its much more car than the new Civic Si for around the same amount of money. More features, slightly better performance and much better modability. VW AG also owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini. Porsche is also involved with VW as well.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
VW is the biggest car maker out of Europe, bigger the MB and BMW in every respect and they have there hands in more things then any of there other German competitiors that were just mentioned. As of late German brand cars havent had the same reliability as there Japanese counterparts but one thing you can always rely on with German cars is there build quality, at least on there $20k and up cars. Compare any German and Japanese car in the same price and size bracket and the German car will always be heavier because it uses stronger materials which is why German cars, VW especially has always had great safety ratings.

The new GTI is a nice looking car all around, nice drivetrain, interior, everything you would expect from the GTI badge. The Jetta GLI that made a comeback a year or two back was a very nice car as well.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Smile VWs are tough but require care

Originally Posted by kennyt
If you're happy with it, go for it dude.
I have heard too many horror stories about VW's reliability in the last few years to risk trying them out.
My '96 Golf GL AT is still going strong (has never left me stranded). VWs have their problems but the engines and trannys are pretty tough. The rest of the car requires attention that the average driver won't give; they think cars are like refrigerators that require no maintenance. And a lot of non-VWs drive like refrigerators - boring. One thing VWs give is a great driving experience. I love it every time I get behind the wheel of my old Golf. That is not to say that the Fit won't also provide miles of smiles.

Last edited by jpmccormac; 04-19-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 PM
All Rabbits Made in Germany

Originally Posted by mav
Well it depends where this low quality overpriced garbage is made. If made in Mexico, I would stay far, far away. But if its made in Germany, then it should be a good, somewhat reliable car.
The new Rabbit will be made in Germany, but it makes no difference WHERE a car is made; it's the quality control that matters. My 96 VW was made in Mexico; it (and most generally) were great. Old Rabbits that were made in Pennsylvania were generally terrible.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mav

And I wouldn't generalize VW as low quality overpriced garbage. My best friend just brought the new GTI and its much more car than the new Civic Si for around the same amount of money. More features, slightly better performance and much better modability.
Well, it has been low quality overpriced garbage for years now. I'm not going to trust it until they can prove otherwise for an equal number of years. The latest GTI is a poor indicator of quality because it has only been out for a number of weeks. It better still be running fine.

Also, GM/Ford/Dodge have been proving for years that quality and reliability aren't changed overnight, regardless of how many times they release a new Civic competitor and declare their own work to be high quality.

VW AG also owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini. Porsche is also involved with VW as well.
Yes, and all of those makes have reputations for being finicky and requiring a lot of maintenance too.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM
I had an old Audi. It was finicky and required a lot of maintenance. This taught me one thing: Don't buy a VWAG car unless you have the money to fix it as well.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jesus
Folks. Be reasonable. The Rabbit's gonna be $14,995.00 with 150 HP, ABS, dual airbags, curtains, alarm and an interior better than any Honda and equal to any Acura. The Golf has been reliable in Europe and I rotate my car every four years anyway. Got the manufacturer warranty for that ish. Maybe the second generation FIT will be something worth considering. But as of right now, my money's on the Rabbit.
I priced out the Scion xA last night with the features I have read are in the Fit Sport - works out the Scion xA was just barely less expensive at that point.

Even if the VW states that it'll be starting at $15k, how much will it take to get it up to the standard features that the Fit has? Or any other comparable car?

But if you're happy... well, feel free..

Old 04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Most german cars age very poorly with all the electronic gadgets that were state of the art then, now become headaches now. Also, if you are not a mechanic with hook-ups, or know a trusted mechanic with hook-ups, or part of a local club with hook-ups you will pay more for trouble later on. Buy an identical model for parts my friend...,that's what true VW fans do.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
Most german cars age very poorly with all the electronic gadgets that were state of the art then, now become headaches now. Also, if you are not a mechanic with hook-ups, or know a trusted mechanic with hook-ups, or part of a local club with hook-ups you will pay more for trouble later on. Buy an identical model for parts my friend...,that's what true VW fans do.
That says so much about German cars.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
over on the vwvortex it is saying the rabbit comes with 4 or 6 airbags standard, power everything etc at the starting price point.

Ive had 3 dubs, , all have them have been dead on reliable.

the mk4's were not as good reliability wise as the older ones, VW admited to this, but all of that models problems were gone by 2003, the later ones are damn strong.

Either way, so far so good with the new model, its been out in europe for some time and as of now there are no major reliability concerns with it. Just a good car with a very nice suspension.

btw
"Drivers of the Rabbit will benefit from it’s fully independent suspension system that uses a multi-link rear and optimized front axle, and will enjoy the new optional six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic® (five-speed manual standard). A new powerful engine with a larger displacement of 2.5 liters and five-cylinders generates 150 horsepower(170+lbs of torque i believe).

The Rabbit goes on sale this summer in both two and four-door versions, with pricing starting at $14,990 for the two-door. Standard features include an advanced ABS braking system, traction control, active front head restraints, front and side airbags, air conditioning and anti-theft alarm system with remote locking. Always known for its value, this latest Rabbit is no exception, offering a high level of standard features and equipment at an attractive starting price"

Looks like im sticking with rugbydub ;P

Last edited by RugbyFit; 04-19-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
This car I really do think has a great chance of being an amazing car just as the new GTi is...

Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I have owned several VW's in my life and 1 Honda. As mentioned previously VW's tend to require a little more TLC but the powertrains usually are very reliable. I never had a single problem with the 2000 Civic I owned but it did have the same driving sensation that the VWs had. I will be test driving a Fit soon because I like the magic seat and the overall interior design. I saw several at dealers today and I liked what I saw. I have not seen a base 5 speed yet which is the model that interests me the most. I will be taking a long look at the new Rabbit once it is introduced this June.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
My first Civic, a 1981 1500GL went through a set of brake pads/shoes in its first 20,000 miles. My VW's never needed brakes through 80,000, and 106,000 miles. I feel there is something to be said for a car that is designed in a country were 150 mph is acceptable, vice a country where 50 mph is the national maximum limit. Something to consider.

Despite that, I am leaning towards the Fit. I don't drive like I'm 18 anymore