General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does the base Fit have better acceleration than the sport fit? Buying, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Does the base Fit have better acceleration than the sport fit? Buying, please help!

I know they both have the same engine and transmission. I am going to buy one of them. I drove both models yesterday (going automatic transmission with this car for a bunch of reasons), and maybe it was all in my head, but the base seemed to accelerate faster and have more "pep" than the 2 sports I drove. One guy at the dealer said that is true due to weight difference (but base only 37 lbs lighter, so sounds odd), 2 other guys said it is not true. Logically does not make sense - any thoughts? I have a long commute (1 hour each way) so am thinking the sport might be better, but not if I am right on the acceleration. Any input is appreciated.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
37lbs is undetectable on a street car. the ecu has hardly any time to adapt to the environment so that could be the issue on very new cars.

and you'll like the extra's the sport has so just get that. for acceleration run smaller profile tires.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
If you are trying to decide based on which car accelerates faster I would recommend getting a frozen turkey. Because a frozen turkey will accelerate faster than either one of the two choices you are looking at. No offense but the comparison is ludicrously moot, they both take nearly eleven seconds to complete the task , get the sport and enjoy the extras while others are flying past you and honking their horns. If you want faster, man up and get the stick shift, unless you are missing a leg there is no good reason to opt for the auto. Oh and welcome to the site! I'm not trying to be an A#$hole at all honest, I just don't want you to be misled.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 PM
They are all slow, if acceleration is on your agenda then the Fit is not for you in it's stock form.
Base/sport makes about as much weight difference as a empty/full tank of gas, get the Sport for the features.
Now if you supercharged it you would retain most of your fuel economy while still getting that HP:Weight ratio back to a more formidable number.

If you like the Fit for everything it is except it's lack of power, like me, then forced induction is the way to go.

That doesn't mean people don't think it's fast--I managed to get 5 speeding tickets since I got it a little over a year ago-people are somehow impressed by WOT acceleration when they are in my car, maybe because the intake makes it sound fast.

It is definitely much quicker off the line than when I first bought it, though.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
^^ not necessarily. my car feels quick with the MT. can spin the tires if desired. but on my 09 AT, doesnt feel as fast.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the help. As I mentioned, I am buying one of them, so I am not comparing the acceleration of them to other cars - obviously they are slow as sheit. That is fine - I thought the base felt more responsive, but likely not. Also I know a standard would help in that area, and while I like driving a stick most times, I HATE it in stop and go traffic which I will have at times.
Follow up question (I am not Mr. Car Guy so please excuse if this is lame) - are the bigger wheels on the sport vs. base going to deliver a smoother highway ride? How about smoother on bumpy roads (I would think so). Any downside to the larger wheels? Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
larger circumference will improve ride quality, but it will eat at the acceleration due to gearing. but the larger wheels on the sport is compensated by using a smaller profile tire. so overall is the same (well, very close).

consider a shopping cart wheel vs your commercial hand truck wheels. handtrucks roll much smoother over pavement.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Check also the spring rates for the Base vs Sport. I believe that the sport is more stiffly sprung than the base, therefore it will have a harder ride. Although Honda did a fine job on ride quality for both cars, remember that the fit is pretty short in terms of wheelbase and will have a little bit of jounce in the ride over broken pavement. Personally I think that the Sports additional features make it the better choice, but thats just me. Good Luck! And don't rule out the frozen turkey LOL