General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
A/C Question

Is it me or is the A/C in the fit a little bit wimpy? I know it's like cooling a freaking greenhouse with one of those handheld fans, but come on. It takes forever in my ride. Do I have a problem or is this common? I have had my sport for 2 weks now and the weak AC is really starting to piss me off.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
do a quick search... you're not the only one...

Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Cars with smaller engines will have smaller A/C condensers, so it won't be as cold as other cars. I feel the same way about the Yaris on extremely hot days, but if you open your windows first, turn on the A/C and leave it on for a few minutes, then close the windows and turn the air to recirculating, it'll be cold.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 AM
well thank god, it isn't just me! I am definitely looking into window tint to cut that heat!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
If you don't do an air exchange when you get in on a hot day (roll down the windows and put fan on 4 and recirculate) it'll take effing forever to cool the car. I think it's that we have so much interior volume in combination with economy components that leads to this complaint.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, then I'm just spoiled I guess. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the replies. I thought I had a problem with the A/C and the car isn't even 2 weeks old.

I'm not planning on using the recirculate too much (if at all). I am a smoker and the recirculate function will suck my nasty smoke into the vent system and will eventually stink up the car (more than normal). I drive with the window cracked when I feel the urge to light up. I guess I really need to beat this nasty habit.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
If you don't do an air exchange when you get in on a hot day (roll down the windows and put fan on 4 and recirculate) it'll take effing forever to cool the car. I think it's that we have so much interior volume in combination with economy components that leads to this complaint.
This has been SOP for every car I have ever owned that had A/C. If you have to park in the sun, a sunshade for the humungous windshield helps. Once the car is cooled down, I have no problems keeping it cool at the lowest fan speed at highway speeds, although you may have to kick it up a little in traffic.

By the way, this was one reason I chose a Fit over an Insight -- to save gas, the Insight A/C shuts off automatically when the car is stopped for more than a few seconds. I just couldn't imagine driving in Atlanta traffic in the summer with that "feature".

Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I have to add my two cents here. Have the dealer check your AC refrigerant levels. Mine was really apathetic, too, and early this summer (when I'd had the car a YEAR), my defogger started FOGGING the windows, instead of DE-fogging. I took it into the dealer and they checked and, sure enough, it was a couple pounds low on refrigerant. It wasn't leaking so they said it had likely left the factory without enough refrigerant.

Now it's completely charged...and still pathetic. LOL!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm perfectly satisfied with my A/C. It took me a few tries at getting the proper aim to my face and bod, but I cool down fast and then I'm freezing... gotta put it down to 2 or 1 ! Have you got the thing aiming at you? I aim the right one at my face and the left one down so it's not blowing on my left hand on the steering wheel.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I can't keep the A/C pointed at me. I usually have preschoolers in the backseat. If I'm alone, I'm usually in my Trans Am.

Last edited by Conflicted; 08-15-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:32 PM
OOHHH That's why! Yeah, if you can't aim it on you I can see how it would be hot.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm happy with the Fit's AC...and I've always been a hot natured dude (a little perspective). It's working a little better than my expectations for this little car in hot-ass GA. You can't hang meat in there, but I see there's ways to make that happen with a few hack-mods if one cares to.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
LMAO!!! That's a punch line if I ever heard one!!!

Originally Posted by Conflicted

Now it's completely charged...and still pathetic. LOL!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Here's what I noted about the A/C on my 09: If I use the 'split' position on the AC (half going up towards face, half going down towards feet) then the center vents are VERY VERY weak. On my 02 CRV this is the position I walways use, and it is very strong on the upper and lower vents equally.

So, I have resigned to use the 100% upper vent position on the FIT, which is in fact quite strong. I do agree that even then, the AC is slightly underpowered... but bottomline is, I walys use UPPER position ONLY!