General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do I get mustard out of my seat?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 PM
oh no. change it.^_^

Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doublefit
Perhaps it's being female, or a mother, but it would take more than mustard to push me into taking it to the dealer for detailing. Honestly - a food stain is not such a big deal: start with the weakest solution (water) and work your way up. Car upholstery is much more resilient than you give it credit for. I have cleaned cherry Koolaid and Mirin off of car seats with no residue or discoloring, and several other unidentifiable strange substances. Biro responds well to hairspray, if you're interested.

P.S.

If you end up getting it wetter than you would like and you don't have a shopvac, a filling station vacuum cleaner will remove a lot of water.
I'm female and have cats that yak up some really awful things. I've done my share of cleanings and replacing items.

Logically, any time you add water or cleaner to a fabric surface, you're pushing the stain into the foam support. You're not really removing the stain from the item. You're just pushing it down.

The way to remove stains is to spray and suck. This keeps the fabric cleaner and helps prevent "mystery smells" from emerging the next sunny day. Like "Essence of Tuna Hairball Vomit".

With laundry, we put the water and cleaner in, and then it's rinsed, spun-out, and dried.

We aren't rinsing (removing the residue or the original stain) in autos. Much CAN be removed by doing the cleaner and then using the dry towel to help get out any moisture AND stains. Pressing down firmly on the seat, as if you were squeezing out a floor or hand sponge.

Mustard doesn't just splat, it dyes.

More about Mustard, Tumeric, and stain removal here (more at each link):

Hopefully the stain is relatively new when you are working with it. This makes removing the mustard stain a lot easier. In addition it is helpful if you have not attempted to remove the stain using water. This actually makes it so the mustard will set in more because it is oil based. However all hope is not lost. The first thing that you need to do before treating the mustard stain on your shirt is to make a simple stain removal mix. In an empty spray bottle mix together one half of a teaspoon of laundry detergent, one fourth cup of white vinegar and one fourth of a cup of cool water. It is with this solution that you will be doing the main stain removal of the mustard on your white shirt.

How to Remove a Mustard Stain from a White Shirt - Associated Content
------

When dealing with mustard-stains, keep in mind that the sooner that you attend to it, the better. Old and dried mustard stains are difficult to remove, and you’ll probably have to live with that stain for as long as the cloth exists. One thing to remedy this is if you know what kind of mustard stained your shirt, you should use the same mustard (and ONLY the same mustard) and put it exactly on top of the old stain. The old stain should bond with the fresh mustard on top, making it like a “new” stain once again.
Before starting, make sure you have scraped off the excess mustard using a blunt knife or a spatula. For fresh stains, you can also use paper towels. Avoid using ammonia or products that contain ammonia when dealing with mustard stains as this will even make the stain even more permanent. When laundering, avoid using bleach on anything other than white items and if you do, make sure that the bleach you are using is color-safe.

How to Get Rid of Mustard Stains - HowToGetRidofStuff.com
------

Question: How do I remove mustard stains?
Here's how to remove mustard stains: Mustard stains are caused by the yellow pigment or tumeric in mustard. The yellow pigment can actually dye fibers so it is important to remove the stain as quickly as possible.
Answer: First, remove any mustard remaining on the fabric using a blunt knife. Try not to rub it any deeper into the fibers. Treat the stain with a heavy-duty liquid detergent and then reinse thoroughly. Soak the garment in a dilute solution of all-fabric or oxygen bleach like OxiClean.
Launder as usual in cool water. Do not dry the garment if the stain remains. Repeat the steps until stain is removed.

How to Remove Mustard Stains - Mustard Stain Removal
------

Mustard contains a yellow dye called turmeric, which is usually the cause of mustard stains. Follow these stain removal tips to keep your household surfaces spot-free.
The first step in removing mustard stains is to identify the stained material.***
*Below are the most common types of materials that can become mustard-stained, with steps on how to remove mustard from each:

HowStuffWorks "How to Remove Mustard Stains: Tips and Guidelines"
------

Removing Mustard Stains Cleaning Tips

When that drop of mustard fell, you probably inwardly groaned at the sight and immediately thought, “Oh great, now what!” And you were right to be concerned about the stain. Mustard is more than just an unsightly temporary inconvenience. Mustard, particularly the classic yellow variety, contains turmeric. Turmeric is a yellow dye that’s present both in the mustard seed itself and in the commercially produced mustard as an additive to enhance the yellow color. Because turmeric is a dye, if it’s not treated as quickly as possible, you could be faced with a newly-dyed polka dot on your shirt!

http://http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/mustard-stain.html
------

If all else fails, this looks fun:

Stains: specifically, how to remove MUSTARD stains
------

Or start a blog on stains, this had me in stitches:

http://www.juliaregan.com/stainproject/mainpart.html

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 08-29-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
baby wipes ftmfw

Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 AM
i've done this couple of times it'll even look new not saying to make the pants really wet with water. try sitting on you seat after you wash your car, your pants should be wet enough to clean the mustard up.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by vinn
baby wipes ftmfw
oh yeah baby wipes. totally forgot about that. lol it'll work

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Another little know fact about turmeric is that it indicates the presence of acid and bases, and turns pink when exposed to a base. So if you discover strange pink spots on your laundry after the clothes have been washed (and detergent tend to be alkaline) the spots were probably yellow to start with.

I would disagree with the above statement that turmeric is actually in the mustard seed though - it comes from a root (Curcuma longa), although no doubt mustard seed has some form of yellow dye in it.

Thanks to Taffetawhite for stain removal 101. (and 102 probably )

Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
1 - Trade it. Let the next person deal with it

2 - Sell it at night after you have disconnected any interior lights. They can see how ugly it is in the morning.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
if you decide to attempt this yourself, I would start with maybe a old soft toothbrush. Try to get all the chunks off first with the toothbrush dry, then maybe dampen the toothbrush with your cleaner of choice, instead of dumping it on your fabric. Be sure to blot up any residual wetness.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I hope he got mustard in my car and nothing else . . . . .
Did you do a UV light scan, CSI style?...

I hope your friend wasn't Neil Patrick Harris.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Question: What are our set as made of? Some kind of nylon fabric?

Thanks.

Marrk
'08 Fit

Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
So the mustard came out without me doing anything at all. It dried up and there's little indentations in our seat, and once it dried up I was able to make it flake off of those little holes. When I go to my car I'll take another cell phone pic and post what it looks like now.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
So the mustard came out without me doing anything at all. It dried up and there's little indentations in our seat, and once it dried up I was able to make it flake off of those little holes. When I go to my car I'll take another cell phone pic and post what it looks like now.
Whew glad it came clean.. Next time tell your friend where the condoms are hidden.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Whew glad it came clean.. Next time tell your friend where the condoms are hidden.
Shoot, if my GF and I hadn't used them all up! Love is expensive, but babies cost more.