General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Just Got in a Car Accident!!! My Fit is Destroyed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Don't tell the non-Fit owners. If only the underseat compartment were a smidge bigger, it would be a great storage space for a netbook.
I wish they'd put a smaller compartment under the 40 seat. Made specifically in size for the manual, or for extra CDs.

And for the visors, more of a pocket or wider holding spot, for things like my disabled placard. Or parking permit hangers. My placard falls out of the map spot on the visor, it's not thick enough.

Maybe a little more time on boats for the auto engineers. If there is a hollow space that can used for anything on a boat, it IS used for something.

There is no such thing as "dead space" on a well-crafted boat.
Marine Electronics from Greenham Regis Marine Electronics

Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AintNoStoppinMeNow
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to let my insurance handle everything as recommended and also try and have my $500 deductible refunded to me by the other guy's insurance. I'm also going to demand as much as possible for a new car which of course will hopefully be another Fit!
The other guy got a ticket for reckless driving. You were standing still.

Your insurance won't pay a nickle (unless the other guy was uninsured and you have uninsured motorist insurance). They will help you with the claims process against his insurance but they may be reluctant to get you the best deal as this could work against them in the future.

This is a lot like buying the car in the first place: everything is negotiable.

Tell them you want a new car, and you want it quick, and you want a rental car in the meantime. If you missed work, ask for compensation for missed wages. This may seem like a lot, but consider the payout if their customer had clobbered a mercedes and hurt someone. They'll take your old car, fix it and sell it to recover their costs. They might be out 10grand after it's all said and done. If they balk, don't threaten, just go see a lawyer. Ask a friend for a referral or pick one out of the yellow pages.

The lawyer will probably give you 30minutes free and charge 30minutes; you'll have to pay about $125 for an hour consultation. Ultimately his fees will be paid by the other guy's insurance.

Don't try to be nice; you're dealing with the other guy's insurance company. Their only goal is to lower their costs.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-09-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
...Out of the blue and for some strange reason while we are all stopped waiting for the light to turn, an old man in the lane next to me steps on his gas and slams into the car in front of him. In a panic, he starts to reverse while there are cars behind him! The car behind him beeps so the old man starts turning and reversing right into me and scraping the whole side of my truck. Just like yesterday's accident, I was a sitting duck and could do nothing with a car in front of me and a car behind me all stopped at a red light. I jump out of the car and yell at the guy asking him "what the hell are you doing?!" and no response. He just kept looking ahead with his car still reversing slowly. I then stuck my hand in his car, threw it in to park and took his keys. The cops show up and he's still unresponsive, almost as if he was in a trance, so they end up taking him away in an ambulance....
He could have been a diabetic suffering from low blood sugar. You don't have to be a geezer to be a diabetic. It's good that you had the presence of mind to throw his transmission into park, preventing still more damage.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, you have nothing to worry about as far as insurance goes. His insurance will have to cover everything that was damaged by him. At least that is the way insurance covers it in ohio.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Sorry you were hit - that's terrible - looks like the Fit did it's job protecting you though. Depends on the frame of course but that look repairable. In NY the insurance companies would fight it out - and I agree that with a FIT its probably not worth a legal battle and the drivers insurance will cover it. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again everyone. There was no damage done to the frame of the car so they decided it would be best to fix it. I'm getting everything paid for including deductible, rental, etc but at this point I just want my Fit back to its pre-accident condition ASAP!

Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again everyone. There was no damage done to the frame of the car so they decided it would be best to fix it. I'm getting everything paid for including deductible, rental, etc but at this point I just want my Fit back to its pre-accident condition ASAP!
All good news!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
awesome!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Just checking in to see how it's going. So. How's it going?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
It's going...it's just going incredibly slooooooooooooow! It took them close to a week, yes a week, just to pick up my car from the tow place. It's being repaired now but since it's a new car and new parts are hard to come by, it's taking a little longer than expected. If they didnt give me such a nice rental I would be really mad! lol

Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
It's going...it's just going incredibly slooooooooooooow! It took them close to a week, yes a week, just to pick up my car from the tow place. It's being repaired now but since it's a new car and new parts are hard to come by, it's taking a little longer than expected. If they didnt give me such a nice rental I would be really mad! lol
Body shop and repair places are usually backed up. Even my former car repair shops would be so overloaded, they wouldn't be able to take anyone else in, as there was no place to put the car.

Even if they had employees seemingly milling about with nothing to do, they might be waiting on parts to arrive, paint to cure, glues/sealants to set, parts to soak clean. And there's nothing they can do to speed up any of those processes.

So, what rental they have you in? And are you looking forward to getting back into the Fit?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Body shop and repair places are usually backed up. Even my former car repair shops would be so overloaded, they wouldn't be able to take anyone else in, as there was no place to put the car.

Even if they had employees seemingly milling about with nothing to do, they might be waiting on parts to arrive, paint to cure, glues/sealants to set, parts to soak clean. And there's nothing they can do to speed up any of those processes.
That's the truth. I don't know how our local body shop manages with so little space. OTOH, a busy body shop usually means they do good work, because if they do, word gets around.

That body shop did a great job repairing my Fit after its fender bender earlier this year. The only way you can spot the repair is that the new fender has a better coat of paint than the original factory paint.

Here's hoping yours is repaired as well as mine was.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 09-21-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I can feel for you, my 1 yr old sport was K.O.ed a few weeks ago.
Intersection had east-west traffic and north traffic. I was going west, 4-Runner was going East, he had to yeild during unprotected left turn but at the last min, he stepped on it and I was already in the intersection. All my side and seat airbags went off and I was pissed. First the guy said he was in the right then he admitted he ran a red but claimed so did I. Luckily I had a witness behind me in another car who happened to be one of the cops that responded's wife. Insurance company took her word over his. They got so high in damages they totaled mine and gave me $17k for it. I was able to get an 09 about a week later.I was really impressed at the safety of the car!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
That's the truth. I don't know how our local body shop manages with so little space. OTOH, a busy body shop usually means they do good work, because if they do, word gets around.

That body shop did a great job repairing my Fit after its fender bender earlier this year. The only way you can spot the repair is that the new fender has a better coat of paint than the original factory paint.

Here's hoping yours is repaired as well as mine was.
Very very very backed up is right!

I'm still waiting for the call to come pick it up...

Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Very very very backed up is right!

I'm still waiting for the call to come pick it up...
Have you checked on the progress? What stage are they at? Have you tried going into the shop and glaring at someone?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Last week my car ( 2007 FIT) was demolished by a semi. I was on a straight stretch (1 lane going each direction) attempting to make a legal left turn. There was on coming traffic, so I couldn't turn and a semi didn't see me or just decided to pass me on the shoulder at 100 plus KM. However, he didn't have enough room and peeled the side of my car off on the passenger side from front to back. My car was a total right off. I'm just waiting to order my new FIT.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmac
Last week my car ( 2007 FIT) was demolished by a semi. I was on a straight stretch (1 lane going each direction) attempting to make a legal left turn. There was on coming traffic, so I couldn't turn and a semi didn't see me or just decided to pass me on the shoulder at 100 plus KM. However, he didn't have enough room and peeled the side of my car off on the passenger side from front to back. My car was a total right off. I'm just waiting to order my new FIT.
The semi probably couldn't have braked to stop anyway. My guess is that the driver was probably going too fast, but also managed to save your life and his.

Those of us in little cars with much better stopping distances than a semi truck forget ABOUT semi trucks.

The big trucks simply cannot do what our vehicles can do. Anymore than our vehicles can do what their vehicles do.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
He could have been a diabetic suffering from low blood sugar. You don't have to be a geezer to be a diabetic. It's good that you had the presence of mind to throw his transmission into park, preventing still more damage.
Or he might have had a stroke. Some things are just fate. I hope the man was OK.

He may have had a seizure. Maybe he shouldn't have been driving at all.

God it's a wonder any of us have the courage to get in our cars every day! When I think of all the nutheads out there behind the wheel, I almost want to bury my car keys!

Has anyone seen this video about texting while driving? There's a long version which is a mini-movie, but the short violent part is relevant to this discussion.

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIOLENCE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGE8LzRaySk

Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Has anyone seen this video about texting while driving? There's a long version which is a mini-movie, but the short violent part is relevant to this discussion.

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIOLENCE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGE8LzRaySk
Wow. That was quite an effective message put across! Thanks for sharing this.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It's been viral in teen's circles, some of them make fun of it but I think it does get the point across. In reality there would be even more gore, the dead girls' eyes would be open, the children would have been injured too, but there was only so much reality the film company could portray. Rescue workers can tell you the stories. I know I will make my son watch this film before he ever drives by himself.

Quick Reply: Just Got in a Car Accident!!! My Fit is Destroyed!!!