General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Just Got in a Car Accident!!! My Fit is Destroyed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Just Got in a Car Accident!!! My Fit is Destroyed!!!

I've had my brand new Fit Sport for a month and I already get into an accident with it!!!

Actually, I was an innocent bystander who didn't even move the whole time which makes it worse. Basically, two cars (myself and the moron) are at stop signs on a busy street. I'm heading north, he's heading south with east and west lanes having the right of way. For whatever reason the car across from me decides to peel out and take off either trying to beat or didn't see the car going in the opposite direction. They slam into each other and both cars end up slamming into my side while I was stopped the entire time! My two passenger side doors get hit, the side air bags deploy and my driver's side window smashes into a million pieces.

Does anyone with experience of accidents, insurances, etc have any idea what the I will be getting out of this. I had no damage to the front end. However, any chance they call the car a total loss? The moron who had to be in his late 70's got a reckless driving ticket after two witnesses along with myself and the other driver explained everything.

Here's some pics:

p.s. sorry they're cell phone pics.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
i love college
pics dont work

Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by keepitpg
pics dont work
Really? They're showing up fine for me, just small though. Can anyone else not see them?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AintNoStoppinMeNow
Really? They're showing up fine for me, just small though. Can anyone else not see them?
They'll show up for you because they are loaded on your computer. But we don't have access to your computer. They need to be uploaded to the site, in your photo gallery.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
i love college
you might need to host them through photobucket, imageshack, or w/e

sorry to hear about your fit though

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my brand new Fit Sport for a month and I already get into an accident with it!!!

Actually, I was an innocent bystander who didn't even move the whole time which makes it worse. Basically, two cars (myself and the moron) are at stop signs on a busy street. I'm heading north, he's heading south with east and west lanes having the right of way. For whatever reason the car across from me decides to peel out and take off either trying to beat or didn't see the car going in the opposite direction. They slam into each other and both cars end up slamming into my side while I was stopped the entire time! My two passenger side doors get hit, the side air bags deploy and my driver's side window smashes into a million pieces.

Does anyone with experience of accidents, insurances, etc have any idea what the I will be getting out of this. I had no damage to the front end. However, any chance they call the car a total loss? The moron who had to be in his late 70's got a reckless driving ticket after two witnesses along with myself and the other driver explained everything.

Here's some pics:

p.s. sorry they're cell phone pics.
That is just AWFUL news. However, depending on what was done to the frame, that will depend if it's a loss, or just needs body work and new doors.

It's a NEW car, so a couple doors, air bags, windows, that shouldn't total out a car. But I don't know how much damage there is, or what those things will cost.

Like we talked about before, you can be the best driver in the world, and still not be able to escape an accident. In your case, you didn't even have to be moving to be in an accident.

One of my former cars got hit while parked. I didn't know it it was repairable, but it got fixed just fine. The back wheel was bent all out of place and the back panel was torn. Got fixed. It's pretty amazing what can be done with good body shop people and new parts.

I'm really glad it was the car and not you. That is something to be very thankful for. What if you'd been a pedestrian? Or if you had no air bags?

You feel OK? Physically?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear dude. Good luck with everything

Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Can you see this pic at the following link?

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/dis...2716&pos=-2558

Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
where in nj are you?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Can you see this pic at the following link?

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/dis...2716&pos=-2558
Yes, that works fine!

I thought it was your passenger doors.

I don't think that's too bad. I'd guess it's fixable. But again, I don't know what all might be damaged. If it's JUST doors and the side skirt and air bags and maybe the trim pieces around the door???

Looks like the car did a good job at protecting you.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Couple of things I want to say about this accident, the Fit's safety and older drivers.

1) Certain people need to be off the road. In this case, I'm really starting to think more and more there should be an age limit for older drivers to have to pass some sort of test to keep their driving privileges. I actually like old people but some of them should not be driving, This old man actually had the audacity to ask the cop why he was getting a reckless driving ticket!!!

2) Like TafettaWhite mentioned, you can be the greatest driver in the world and still get involved in a mess like this. As soon as I saw the old guy take off I knew he was going to hit that lady's car. What I wasn't expecting was a split second later seeing two cars heading straight towards me! Talk about a scary sight!

Right now, I'm just wondering what to do as far as insurance goes. Is this fixable or a total loss? Should I demand a total loss? Should I go through his insurance and have them cover everything or take the hit on my $500 deductible and just let my insurance handle it? Yes, this is my first major accident.

Last edited by AintNoStoppinMeNow; 09-08-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Danmit is that a CBP?!?! -____-

Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
where in nj are you?
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Yes, that works fine!

I thought it was your passenger doors.

I don't think that's too bad. I'd guess it's fixable. But again, I don't know what all might be damaged. If it's JUST doors and the side skirt and air bags and maybe the trim pieces around the door???

Looks like the car did a good job at protecting you.
I'm in Northeast NJ, about a half hour away from Newark.

No it was driver's sides. The two cars came straight at me!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Oh btw, to make matters worse, all three cars in the accident were Hondas. The old senile man was driving a 95 Honda Accord, I had my one month old Fit and the young lady also had a one month old 09 Accord! Talk about the irony!

One cop did mention to me that in all the accidents he's responded to, all the Hondas have kept the drivers extremely safe and he highly recommended them for safety reasons alone.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM

....sucks about the wreckage. This is a classic motorcyclists' nightmare scenario - The Sitting Duck. I know this'll stir up drama, but I'm sorry...old freakin people need to be tested every year...after what age? i don't know...60? 65? Blue Hairs kill thousands each year.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Working backwards...it's NOT your fault. You didn't do anything. You shouldn't have to pay any deductible. It's a brand new car. It needs to be fixed to be like it was. I don't know whether you have to let your insurance know or not, it's been a long time since I've had an accident.

As far as remembering the accident, you might want to write down everything you can remember. Everything. Time of day, where the sun was, how much traffic there was, if the road was clear or dry or slick or gravelly.

It's a lot easier to remember now while it's fresh and if there are any problems at all, you'll have your own notes and won't forget any details.

I feel that most people should have their driving ability checked on a regular basis. And there was a thread where we had discussed more driver training, perhaps including learning avoidance maneuvers. A more professional type course.

I realize it would be hard to get all the drivers in, and there are not enough facilities to accommodate all the drivers in the country. But maybe an incentive, like a sizable discount on insurance would encourage more people to take a course.

I haven't taken any professional course. And I think this year I can take some kind of "mature driver course" to qualify for a discount. Apparently they measure maturity by age and not by goofy inner personality.

It's not just age, though. There are people who make mistakes. Preoccupied people. It doesn't have to be drunk drivers or people on illegal drugs, some of the over the counter allergy things can make a person loopy and not as attentive.

One small solution is to try to drive less. Everyone. If one of the three people involved in the accident hadn't driven today, there might not have been an accident. Right?

It doesn't solve the stupid people on the road problem, but at least you're not in harm's way.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 09-08-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff

Blue Hairs kill thousands each year.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hey can anyone link me to this thread that keeps getting discussed about driver privileges being revoked? I'd LOVE to read it right now...

Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
your username is rather ironic in comparing it to the thread you just created.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I had my one month old Fit and the young lady also had a one month old 09 Accord! Talk about the irony!
Both C4C deals, I bet!

Except here we have an example of an old clunker that wasn't taken off the road yet...

Quick Reply: Just Got in a Car Accident!!! My Fit is Destroyed!!!