General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Top 10 reasons to drive stickshift (men)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
I'll try the first one for bit and then try braking.

The vid was pretty sweet, but writing it out really helps my brain.
You're welcome.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Outta curiosity why??
the best qualities of a fit are reflected in its exceptional practicality and economic value. you can spend months mastering the art of heel-toe and ideal shift points to keep revs in the power band but, at the end of the day, 117/106 will never be enough to put a smile on my face unless i'm riding on two wheels. To me it's nothing more than wasted motion.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
I did it! it's pretty fun, but the crv is awkward on the right side of the gas pedal, it's really close. and the gas pedal is much closer to the floor so its more weird. its almost: "beginning of arch and almost outside of heel"

Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
My legs are too long and my feet are too big..... I guess I'd better not waste my time trying to keep up with A/T Fits on an autocross course.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
<quote>No.8 - You can't spell "manual" without "man"</quote> *LOL*

I drive a manual, and it's all good. But an auto does free up your hand when there's a hot date in the passenger seat (and nothing to get in the way of her hand either)

Plus, real men ride motorcycles! :P

Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 PM
dhk
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Say you're in 3rd gear.
1) Disengage clutch (push it in)
2) Move to 2nd
3) Blip the gas pedal a little
4) Re-engage clutch (let it go)
l
Huh? Shouldn't it be:

1) Clutch in
2) Shift into neutral
3) Clutch out
3) Blip the gas pedal
4) Clutch in
5) Shift into 2'nd
6) Clutch out

Or is this different from double-clutching?

Old 09-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by GlennQuagmire
the best qualities of a fit are reflected in its exceptional practicality and economic value. you can spend months mastering the art of heel-toe and ideal shift points to keep revs in the power band but, at the end of the day, 117/106 will never be enough to put a smile on my face unless i'm riding on two wheels. To me it's nothing more than wasted motion.
Lol, Glad someone finally said it. Might be useful if your trying to race a Yaris or something. Ya never know.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dhk
Huh? Shouldn't it be:

1) Clutch in
2) Shift into neutral
3) Clutch out
3) Blip the gas pedal
4) Clutch in
5) Shift into 2'nd
6) Clutch out

different, heel toe (i guess) is for keeping the rpms up while braking. I wonder which wears the clutch more?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dhk
Huh? Shouldn't it be:

1) Clutch in
2) Shift into neutral
3) Clutch out
3) Blip the gas pedal
4) Clutch in
5) Shift into 2'nd
6) Clutch out

What you're describing is double clutching. Not really necessary with a synchronized trans although I will often double clutch to shift in to first if I'm moving. I also do it if I'm cruising along in 4th and want to go to second to get some power.

For heel toe all you need to do is push in the clutch, blip the throttle and select the gear you want. If you get the revs just right it the shifter will go in to gear very easily.

Do this while you're braking and you're heel toe-ing.

Double clutching is not really necessary but nice to be able to do. Comes in handy when you want to go down a couple of gears instead of the next lower one.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dhk
Huh? Shouldn't it be:

1) Clutch in
2) Shift into neutral
3) Clutch out
3) Blip the gas pedal
4) Clutch in
5) Shift into 2'nd
6) Clutch out

Chad said it - you just described double-clutching. It's called double-clutching because for every shift you make, you're kicking the clutch twice.

In this age of synchromesh gearboxes it's largely unnecessary, but if you still double-clutch that will prolong the life of your synchros too.

Now if you can double-clutch AND do heel-and-toe...you'd beat my pedaling skills. That's just way too hard to do for me, but I've heard of people who can do this.

Last edited by Type 100; 09-22-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cab0053
I did it! it's pretty fun...its almost: "beginning of arch and almost outside of heel"
Yep I blip it that way too...too hard to hit it with the literal heel itself. As long as you're blipping it though it shouldn't matter

Some people even brake with their heels and blip with their toes...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned
Now if you can double-clutch AND do heel-and-toe...you'd beat my pedaling skills. That's just way too hard to do for me, but I've heard of people who can do this.
It can actually be fairly simple. Here's an example of how I would double clutch+heel toe. I do it more when I'm driving in a laid back way.

Say I'm cruising along in fifth and aproaching a turn I need to slow down for. Put the gear shift in neutral, let out the clutch and coast. When I get ready to turn I blip the throttle and brake just like a regular heel-toe and slide the shifter in to second or third.

Double clutching is more about making the smoothest possible shift not necessarily being quick. The Fit shifter has such a nice feel for when the revs are matched. I like to just pull it very gently towards the gear and match the revs so it goes in to gear with the least amount of effort.

My favorite use of double clutching is to downshift for accelleration.

Cruising along in 4th at say 35 MPH. You need to get around a car to get in the lane you need to be in. Throw it in neutral, let out the clutch and blip the throttle. Push the clutch in and pull the shifter to second while the revs are up.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
The last vehicles I owned that I double clutched on a regular were some diesel powered VWs...... They had great synchronised transmissions but the sound seemed so big rig that it made other drivers take notice as they started looking in every direction for a big truck..... It was always good for a laugh.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chad T
Double clutching is more about making the smoothest possible shift not necessarily being quick.
I guess this is why I falter at it. I might try what you said next time, thanks.

Anyway I saw an older post here mentioning one advantage of an automatic vs. a manual: being able to hold your date/girlfriend/wife's hand while driving. Can't argue with that logic I must say.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I guess this is why I falter at it. I might try what you said next time, thanks.

Anyway I saw an older post here mentioning one advantage of an automatic vs. a manual: being able to hold your date/girlfriend/wife's hand while driving. Can't argue with that logic I must say.
Back when the wife and I were dating I found it was easy enough to reach over with the left hand and make the shift.