General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Manual test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Manual test drive review

RB honda in MN had an event last night where they held back four FIT's for the public to test drive and adore. I'll preface this story with my dealer impression....simply the best service and atmosphere of any in MN for sure.

I drove a black, base MT. It was my turn to test drive the car and I went out with a sales person and a friend. They together weighed less than 300lbs.
I got in the car's comfortable, supportive seat and was pleased with the driving position and pedal placement. I depressed the clutch to start the car and bumped the accelerator. The car had been running the whole time!!!!! The idle on this car was not noticed while I stood next to the car in a concrete service bay.....simply amazing!

We went for a short city drive. The steering wheel shape is very nice. The wheel is thick and the gripping surface inspires confidence. The shifter knob has the same feel. Interior quality as other reviews comment is very nice for an entry level vehicle. My friend in the back seat commented on the amazing amount of space and upright seating position. The front pillar that most everyone comments on was definitely an obstruction, but not terrible. The clutch take up is linear and soft, taking very little foot and leg effort. The responsiveness of the throttle is good, and in my opinion, equal to a cable operated throttle body. As I was expecting with the motor, it is tuned for low to mid rpm power and economy. Even at around 2k rpms it seemed that the motor had more than adequate torque. The vtec engagement is seamless in this application. Taking the car hard through the first two gears it is apparent that the car is not overpowered. The motor really falls off right at 6k rpms. I was pleased with the performance through the first two gears, although I had expected just a bit more on the top end.

The steering feel and effort were impressive as well. The electric steering gave just the right amount of assistance while steering feel is retained. I was expecting an overboosted feeling, but it was not. The suspension was remarkably smooth over the rough city streets. I was expecting a bit rougher ride. The interior noise level is very low. Even under hard acceleration, the noise levels were low.

Looking at the dash when on the move I found the gauges easy to read, but a little on the small side. The layout is very good.

My test drive ended all too soon, without merging on the highway or going on twisty roads where the suspension and motor could be better tested, but the essence of the vehicle was revealed.

In summary, this is a car for the masses. I see anyone interested in entry level cars finding this car a very good alternative. I'm sure it will return fantastic economy, safety, and reliability for all who buy.

My hopes were that this was truly an enthusiast's car with firmer suspension, notchy shifter, and some top end push. These are exactly the features that this car lacks. Hopefully Honda, in their infinite wisdom, will produce this car in a form that will deliver those attributes, i.e. Fit Si.

Chris from Lake Elmo
mustangguy72

Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Nice lil write-up...

Old 05-07-2006, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mustangguy72
...Taking the car hard through the first two gears it is apparent that the car is not overpowered.
A very delicate choice of words. Well done.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
I just noticed I am now a Senior Member. You are all invited to my promotion party. Since I won't be able to get my Fit until I move back there in December, I will also probably be the longest standing member who doesn't actually own the car. That and 25 Thai Baht...

Old 05-07-2006, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
I test drove a base blue fit today with my friend. I've been looking for something to replace my old yet faithful 94 Prelude VTEC which has over 180K miles and a strong engine and original clutch. My goal was to get a bigger, more practical car/suv to haul my gf and our 2 corgi's. The Fit is perfect for us. It has plenty of room for people/things/pets. I was worried that the 109hp would not be enough but after the test drive, I was impressed with it's quickness, although I do wonder how it would handle the steep roads to Tahoe or Santa Cruz. It would be nice if Honda had a hotter version. Give me a Fit with 4WD and more power. I'd gladly pay more for one.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm sure the intake/exhaust mods would help this car perform, but just a bit more top end would really be nice.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
I test drove a base blue fit today with my friend. I've been looking for something to replace my old yet faithful 94 Prelude VTEC which has over 180K miles and a strong engine and original clutch. My goal was to get a bigger, more practical car/suv to haul my gf and our 2 corgi's. The Fit is perfect for us. It has plenty of room for people/things/pets. I was worried that the 109hp would not be enough but after the test drive, I was impressed with it's quickness, although I do wonder how it would handle the steep roads to Tahoe or Santa Cruz. It would be nice if Honda had a hotter version. Give me a Fit with 4WD and more power. I'd gladly pay more for one.
How did you get 180k miles on a 94 clutch? Wow...HWY 680, 580, and 24 should reduce that significantly!

I think high elevation like Tahoe will be a problem. But even with the stock suspensions, going through HWY 17 should be fun and I can see the Fit being a total beach car!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't fuel injection supposed to at least reduce the effects of altitude, if not eliminate them?

Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised it's still on the original clutch. It had started slipping once in awhile earlier this year but it hasn't slipped since. I think it's long life is attributed to me not riding the clutch, no hard launches, at every stop the clutch is out while in neutral (I've heard it saves the clutch bearing.), and I don't downshift while braking (brakes are cheaper to replace than the clutch.). With the Fit, I will get an automatic. My last 3 cars had been manual and I want a change. Do you think I will lose some quickness in the Fit with an AT?

Originally Posted by martymcfly
How did you get 180k miles on a 94 clutch? Wow...HWY 680, 580, and 24 should reduce that significantly!

I think high elevation like Tahoe will be a problem. But even with the stock suspensions, going through HWY 17 should be fun and I can see the Fit being a total beach car!

Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Forced induction is the only way to eliminate altitudinal changes. The lack of oxygen in the air causes the power loss. Carbd cars are worse off, because they don't adjust for variations in atmospheric conditions.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
You should have accelerrated onto 494 for a mile, you'd have been impressed.