General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is this crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Is this crazy?

I just bought a silver 2010 Fit Base in early November. It's my first Honda after living in a Toyota family my whole life and what a huge change! I'M IN LOVE!

My only regret is I didn't get the Sport model. I'm getting anxious dreading road trips without cruise control and I dream about how much I'd use the USB plug in the glove box.

I know this is kinda bizarre, but I'd like to trade. Swap my nearly new car, in perfect condition, with low miles for a hopefully similar condition Sport model (I'd cover the difference in cash).

Who would want to trade down? Perhaps someone who needs $1500 cash? It's a stretch, sure, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask

Old 01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
congrats! my family was pro-toyota also till i bought my cr-x, now they're all buying hondas because they think today's toyotas are boring lol

regarding your gripes about your base ge8.. another option is to get yourself an aftermarket cruise control and usb supported head unit. if you're mechanically inclined and have access to the proper tools, there are plenty of do it yourself threads on this forum that will take you through installation step-by-step.

personally, doing my own maintenance and installation work has made me appreciate my Fit more

Old 01-11-2010, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Another base here. I always have had cruise control (even going back to pre-historic times). Thought I'd miss it. naw. Congested roads make it unusable. The light pedal pressure on the accelerator (DBW) make it unneeded.

'course western interstates once you get out of metro areas aren't as crowded as here, but still, don't sweat it. Or get off the interstates and drive.

How long are you going to be on the road? you can fit about 12 hours of music on a single CD (mp3 or wma format). Of course if you're locked into Itunes it'll take forever to make the transition.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
congrats! my family was pro-toyota also till i bought my cr-x, now they're all buying hondas because they think today's toyotas are boring lol
Haha, right? My family's off in another state so they've yet to have first hand experience and discover that driving can be, in fact, fun Though I may not recommend a Fit for Colorado winters...

Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
regarding your gripes about your base ge8.. another option is to get yourself an aftermarket cruise control and usb supported head unit. if you're mechanically inclined and have access to the proper tools, there are plenty of do it yourself threads on this forum that will take you through installation step-by-step.

personally, doing my own maintenance and installation work has made me appreciate my Fit more
That's an encouraging plan b I hadn't considered, thank you. Though I must say self-installing cruise control sounds ridiculously daunting...the steering wheel controls, electrical system, gas control/breaking, etc. I wonder if Honda would do it or if I should consider a 3rd party repair place?

The USB on the other hand, I'm sure I can handle!

Originally Posted by Steve244
Another base here. I always have had cruise control (even going back to pre-historic times). Thought I'd miss it. naw. Congested roads make it unusable. The light pedal pressure on the accelerator (DBW) make it unneeded.
Right and this was my initial logic in passing on CC. I NEVER used it on my past car while living in LA except for the rare road trip. Plus, paying $15k for a subcompact sounded much more reasonable than nearly $20k when the only big benefit I'd use is CC and a USB cord.

Buuuut...then I realized this is a car I'm going to have for 10+ years and I'm sure in that time there'd be enough scenarios where CC would be vital. Plus the extra speakers, USB, spoiler, and sway bar would be used regularly.

Bah! It's tough. I hate having regrets :P

How long are you going to be on the road? you can fit about 12 hours of music on a single CD (mp3 or wma format). Of course if you're locked into Itunes it'll take forever to make the transition.
Well, I like the idea of having my whole music collection with me. And now that there's small 500 GB solid state drives powered through USB 2.0, it's much more feasible than I thought it would be.

Thanks though, for your advice and shared experiences. I do value it!

Last edited by weazal; 01-12-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
if i'm not mistaken, the state of california considers any trade and exchange by cash or barter to be fully taxable, so you might want to re-think this...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I am another base girl, here.

For me, giving up the cruise was no biggie. I had it in my last two cars and probably used it a total of 4 times, ever. Really, the highways in the Northeast are too congested to be able to really use it properly.

As to the usb. I have been plugging my iphone into the aux input using a double ended headphone jack cord. Or, on Amazon, you can buy a cord that has an aux jack on one end and the ipod base on the other.

Also, I think if you really wanted the usb, there are ways to get it installed in your base. I don't even think you need a new head unit. (Search the forums.)

Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, the USB control unit and cables from honda is $153 from college hills. Installation looks straightforward.

Cruise control isn't too bad either if you don't mind an extra stalk mounted on the steering column. Here's one for $290.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Listen to Steve here, you don't want to do this! If you can't install yourself then find someone!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by GlennQuagmire
if i'm not mistaken, the state of california considers any trade and exchange by cash or barter to be fully taxable, so you might want to re-think this...
I'm sure there's ways to transfer ownership with a minimal amount of tax involvement. Like if something was reported as a gift or traded for a menial amount. Not saying I officially endorse this...

Originally Posted by Rachelsfit
Also, I think if you really wanted the usb, there are ways to get it installed in your base. I don't even think you need a new head unit. (Search the forums.)
Woa. You don't even need a new head unit? This is getting more and more encouraging! Thank you Rachel, I will definitely delve into the forums (and simultaneously apologize for not researching more prior)

yeah, the USB control unit and cables from honda is $153 from college hills. Installation looks straightforward.

Cruise control isn't too bad either if you don't mind an extra stalk mounted on the steering column. Here's one for $290.
Those are some brilliant links. The install process looks a little meticulous, but the directions seem perfectly straightforward and I don't doubt I could follow them. It's a little funny paying $150+ for a USB cable, but I understand there's more to it than that.

Does anyone have experience using the USB? Is it easy enough to navigate through all your files or do you just prefer using your MP3 player's interface?

Also, is it USB 2.0? Or does that extra speed not matter when just playing MP3s and navigating folders?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
The USB works fine with a flash drive. I bought an 8Gb flash drive and just leave it in the car.

As for cruise, I find I really don't use it nearly as much as I though I would. The Fit is a car that begs to be driven. Also, unlike my previous cars, I find using the cruise control COSTS me highway fuel economy (about 1-2 MPG) over not using it. As they say, YMMV.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
i use a 32gb usb drive

Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weazal
do you just prefer using your MP3 player's interface?
Apparently, the USB interface only works with flash drives and a very small number of MP3 players (I think maybe only IPODs, but search the forums to be sure). The USB interface does not recognize two different Sansas, two Creative Zens and a Zune that I've tried. So the USB interace is probably useless if using your existing MP3 is important.

Thanks Steve244 for the cruise link. I didn't know there was finally one available for the base Fit.