General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I want an F'n Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Angry I want an F'n Fit!

I've been a member on here for a couple years now, admiring everyone cars, showing some love every so often and have yet to buy a Fit of my own.

Just about everyone that I talk to about getting a fit tells me it's a bad idea for someone my age to buy a new car and have this huge payemnt every month. Why does everyone have to be so pessimistic? Would it really be a horrible thing for me to do?? I have flawless credit, and a steady job. What else does it take to fit the criteria of being someone who SHOULD buy a car?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
If you can afford it, do it. And, i am sure you can find a second hand GD3 for a good price.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
If you want and can afford it why not. The Fit isn't a expensive car(unless you start loading it with all the options) so if you have good credit and put a good amount down your payments won't be that much. It's also very cheap to operate and maintain.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Retired Moderator
How old are you? I bought my Fit right when i turned 16. Had it for almost a year, sold it cause i wanted a cheaper car, no car payment ect.. So i bought a 91 Civic, motor swap, suspension, all that. Got bored of the old Honda thing, so i gave in and bought an expensive car again(06 WRX). Im going to be 18 in march.
Moral of the story, i say go for it. hah!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my story:
15 - 03 jeep wrangler.. Realized it wasn't for me
16 - 96 integra ls.. Fell in love with Hondas.. Got rid of it bc it started running like shit and it had somewhere around 250xxx miles on it.
20 (now) - 2003 chevy Malibu .. Bought it for 500 dollars to replace the teggy, awesome deal but I hate the car.. It's a dog, obviously not something a 20 year old would like to drive lol.

I've looked into other cars like the civic and rsx but I would like to have something that is an all around sweet car , of course with the understanding ofthe lack of HP lol. Since the fit came out I've been drawn to it.. Just something about it.

I wasn't aware that there were many upgrades available for the fit...

Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
how are you guys buying cars at such young age? what kinda of jobs do you guys have???

Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Keep the Malibu as your DD or backup.

Get a Fit (GD or GE) as your primary. weekend car or project/hobby. A stock Fit is quite nimble and peppy, despite what the hp says on paper. Your best bet is to test drive a Fit before your draw conclusions. Don't buy a car based soley upon it's looks and what it has to offer on paper.

The Fit aka Jazz (overseas) has been out over a decade but only a few years in the USA. The aftermarket has been growing for our Fits here and offer plenty of choices for you to personalize it to your taste.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever route you take!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Dam ur 20 not that yong man. At ur age i had a evo and a 98 cobra. Im now 24 and have owned a fit and now a S2000CR. But i make good money. i would keep the malibu and look at fits and other used sports cars. U would be suprised that for a little bit more than what fits cost on here u can get used S2000,Evo,Sti. Now maintance,insurance and gas would cost more but u could make it ur fun car. Keep the malibu save and buy a used fun sports car

Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Save up about 5k, for a down, trade in the bu, payments will be just north of $200 for 60 mo. @ 3.9% apr. That's affordable even with a crappy job. Great thing about the Fit is insurance and maintenance is low.

Edit: If you don't have the discipline to save up 5k for a down, then you shouldn't buy a new car.

Last edited by 2ndFit; 01-13-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I thought by upgrades you meant oem stuff.. Trust me I've looked into the fit and all the parts available.. As far as getting a sports car, I lov the s2000 but the insurance is hellatious for someone my age. My opinion of the fit isn't based solely on it's outward appearance, I test drove a ge8 a while back and loved it. Unfortunately largo Honda didn't have any MT so I played with the paddles..

Old 01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I too have been waiting impatiently to get a Fit. I'm still driving my very first car which I have had for 7 years since I was 17. It's really old and sometimes unreliable, but I'm hoping it will make it 1 more year. My original plans were to buy it this December but it didn't pan out as other debt took priority. By December, I should have enough saved for a down payment on a used '09. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and buy a new Fit because I am unsure about my job. I don't want to end up like so many others in this recession and have it repoed.

I take it that you are like me drock, very careful about big financial decisions and patient enough to wait. My criteria to meet before I get mine is to have a 20% down payment, a 36 month loan only, a 720+ credit score, and what I want for under $13,000. What's holding you back?

Fallout 3 is awesome btw.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Glad someone finally commented on the fallout thing.

And I've always been pretty careful of my financial well being. I know that I will definitely be able to afford the monthly payment, I just always want to make sure that I have a little bit of "cushion" for emergencies.. Last time I checked my score was somewhere around 750.. Soo....

And for oneSEVEN.. I show tourists how to ride scooters.. lol

Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just playing the devil's advocate, but if you are living in Key West, what do you need a car for? I understand the difference between need and want, but Key West is a pretty small place, and it seems like you could get just about everywhere with a scooter. Of course, living in paradise is different from visiting paradise, and you may feel claustrophobic.

Vanct offered good advice. Given that you're already on your 3rd car, a used Fit may be a better idea than a new one. If you keep a car until it falls apart new vs used doesn't much matter, but I suspect that by the time you are 30 (or even 25), you may not be so infatuated with the Fit.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing you've been to key west before? I%2

Last edited by drock305; 01-13-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
I live a few islands up so riding my scooter on the highway is definitely a bad idea.. My integra was falling apart, and the Malibu is definitely on a rapid decline.. I just want a reliable DD that I can have fun with and doesn't cost too much. I also want a car that I can/want to keep for a long time and with Honda reliability it meets my criteria. I've done a lot of thinking about buying the fit and know that I want to do it. It's just a matter of actually doing it..

Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Fair enough. Happy Fit hunting. A Fit is probably a pretty good car for the keys.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
DO IT! I'm a student, and i work full time...bought a GE last Sept and my payment is pretty gnarly, but gas is effing cheeap! Haven't regretted it at all, I say go for it man.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
I bought mine pretty young too. I was one month shy of turning 19 when I bought my Fit. Put around 1,000 down and I'm paying a hair under 320 a month for 60 months. I know, not great, but I got exactly the car I wanted.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
do it, buy mine

Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Don't do it. Be impulsive and buy that Mustang GT you've been lusting over.

Sheesh, kids these days.

(seriously the fit is a good car and inexpensive. If you've got new car fever you could do a lot worse. Just don't pay too much for one. Research prices carefully and ask what other people paid before making an offer.)

Quick Reply: I want an F'n Fit!