General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan Guage owners... What is the HIGHWAY speed for best MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
Scan Guage owners... What is the HIGHWAY speed for best MPG?

Please mention if you have an AUTO or MANUAL because of the different gear ratios.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Suscribed……

Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i could be wrong but i think i read somewhere one time
that it was 59 mph. i did it a few times and it got me 42 mpg.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
I would be very surprised if it was anything more or less than "slower = better MPG".

Using pulse-and-glide (P&G) will improve mileage, if traffic conditions permit of course.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
the slower the better. and it isnt about SPEED, or RPM, its about throttle position

Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
i love college
anywhere between 50-60 mph. i have a scanguage for sale if anyone wants one. /threadjack

Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't have a scan Gage but I use the one on my o9 auto and I have been able to get over 50 mpg doing 40-45 mpg I figure out my mpg by hand use the same pump on the same click at the same time of day lol

Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
the slower the better. and it isnt about SPEED, or RPM, its about throttle position
It is about power output of the engine, which relates to all of the above. When on level ground, in calm wind, speed is still the most important factor due to drag going up the square of velocity. If it takes 10hp to maintain 30mph it would take 40hp to go 60.

I think I understand what you are saying. Since air/fuel mixture is computer controlled in a narrow range, throttle position restricts the airflow, therefore fuel burn and the resulting power output.

If you have ever flown an airplane with a "constant speed" propeller, its quite different. The mixture, throttle opening and propeller rpm are independently controlled manually. Manifold pressure is typically used as an indicator of power, unless you have a fuel flow meter.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi gang:

**2010 Fit Sport 5-SPEED**

Heres my experience with a Scangauge II equipped. I find that I can easily get the average up to 40.0 MPG on the CAR gauge by cruising at a very steady 62-63 MPH. This equates to almost exactly 3000 RPM, and a specific fuel consumption of 1.45 to 1.50 GPH. If you can stay in this configuration, the car gauge will stay on the 40 hash and sometimes stray one hash below. I use cruise control for a better result (NO AIR CONDITIONING).

Its seems the car gauge is around 34-38 one hash BELOW the 40 mark, and the 40 hash is 38-42 MPG (roughly). I drove this configuration from Jacksonville to Cocoa, Florida (I-95) yesterday and averaged 40.0 exactly from start to completion.

THAT SAID...this is on flat ground. Florida ISN'T flat. Overpasses require special handling to maintain economy. As I start up the front side, I tick off 4-5 presses on the cruise control a couple of seconds apart. The cruise will, by default, accelerate UPHILL. By using DECEL you force a reduction uphill. I then cancel at the crest, and glide back to 62-63 on the downhill run and reset cruise. I spend most of my time "driving by thumb" on cruise.

You can achieve my settings by pointing your speedometer so it just covers the upper right corner of the "0" in "60". This will result in a tach reading just a hair above 3000 RPM.

Good luck!

BJK

Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Speed is relative to the road and conditions...55mph on an uphill grade means lower mpg for example. Heck if you are also driving into a strong wind, your mpg can be affected.

If we are talking flat, 60-65mph should be good.

I usually average 70-75 when I drive to Colorado. Lots of uphills and over all average is around 39-40mpg.

I have an 07 Fit Sport Auto.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
35 to 40 5th gear.
I laugh at some of the posts. I doubt many of you have ever driven less than 55

Last edited by pcs0snq; 07-27-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
35 to 40 5th gear.
I laugh at some of the posts. I doubt many of you have ever need less than 55
What is your general cruising speed in the highway?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mxl180
What is your general cruising speed in the highway?
No AC Rear windows UP when moving, front windows 1/2 up (it hot down here), tires 60psi
My commutes is 24.1 miles on Interstate and posted 45 to 30mph rural streets.
from cold car to interstate:
4miles 55 mpg P&G w/FAS 35 to 50 speed 3 stops and 5 lights two where DWOB timed
From interstate to exit
16.2miles avg down to 49.0 55mph CC
From exit to work:
7.9 miles avg back up to 52.8
Again stops and speed from 30 to 45
P&G /FAS all the way

Typical for this trip and today
24.1 miles
0.45gal
2812rpm peak
1/2 hr
55mph max
41mph-avg
$1.20 cost gas @ 2.64/gal US
52.8mpg

SG II adjusted to agree to pump within +/-1 or 2% over many fills.

This is a 2008 Sport 100% stock under the hood. Still in Dunlap's. All I have done is learn to drive it pretty good increased tire press to 60 and added a fuel pump cut off switch for the FAS

Have fun!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Thumbs down I laugh at...

Originally Posted by pcs0snq
35 to 40 5th gear.
I laugh at some of the posts. I doubt many of you have ever driven less than 55
Some of these posts...drive like a tard for a few mpg more?

I use anticipation and try not to use the brakes and will shift to neutral going down a big hill (The AT wants to downshift), but I use the air and gently speed up to traffic speed and don't make a nuisance of myself driving just over the speed limit on highways. And still I get get over 31 mpg with the A/C on, which is double what I got in my Jag.

If I was really concerned about mpg, I could commute on a moped...

To each their own...

I like the original question though, and hope someone with a scangauge can tell what the optimum speed is in an A/T (yes if I cared that much about mileage I would have gotten a manual)...

Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Some of these posts...drive like a tard for a few mpg more?

I use anticipation and try not to use the brakes and will shift to neutral going down a big hill (The AT wants to downshift), but I use the air and gently speed up to traffic speed and don't make a nuisance of myself driving just over the speed limit on highways. And still I get get over 31 mpg with the A/C on, which is double what I got in my Jag.

If I was really concerned about mpg, I could commute on a moped...

To each their own...

I like the original question though, and hope someone with a scangauge can tell what the optimum speed is in an A/T (yes if I cared that much about mileage I would have gotten a manual)...
I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to put it in neutral down a big hill. Also you should get better fuel economy leaving it in gear.

I haven't looked into it tonnes, but 40 - 45 IS the best on most vehicles, the lowest speed you can get into top gear is the best fuel economy wise, i'm not saying we should all drive 45, as it's not really an appropriate highway speed IMO, but generally your fuel consumption will just go up with speed steadily past 40-45

Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
2007 MT FIT
Okay after a 200 mile trip on a highway.
I find that i got worse mileage than city.
i average about 34 mpg in city shifting around 2200rpm.

On highway i was on 5th gear at around 75mph...
no ac, windwows up.
relatively flat drive with some hills...
no cruise.
So i think it was 3500rpm..
Ended up with 32mpg.... WTF?

I don't get how you guys can get 40 mpg.
Unless i drive at 60 mph i can probably get 40mpg..but that would cause many drivers to flip me off as they try to pass me.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Your mpg does seem a little low. In comparison the very first drive on my car:
250 highway miles
cruise used 90%
A/C on 50%
hills (up/down) 80% of distance
avg speed about 73mph

36mpg calculated at the pump and could be slightly higher as previous owner filled the tank and drove some after.

_

Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
I have a GE Sport MT, I've found that cruising at very low speeds - say around 30-35 mph on local roads (in 5th gear) gets phenomenal fuel economy, with the engine warmed up - the MPG gauge (stock, not scangauge) reads easily over 60 mpg while cruising. so I agree - the lowest speed such that you can be in top gear, without lugging your engine will get you the best fuel economy.

I'm not endorsing the following, or admitting that I have ever done this - this is just my opinion: as for coasting in neutral on hills, it will only help you on a hill that is medium grade in steepness - on some hills, at least for MT, you will notice that you will need to step on the gas just a tiny bit, to maintain the same speed - this is when coasting will help you, and there are quite a bit of hills such that coasting in neutral will put you at a steady speed. If you coast when the hill is too steep you will go way too fast, and you should probably stay in gear for those for better control. But I feel that coasting in neutral on a medium-grade hill with a MT car shouldn't be considered dangerous since you can EASILY switch back into gear, as long as you keep your foot on the clutch and hand on the shifter.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ydnality
I have a GE Sport MT, I've found that cruising at very low speeds - say around 30-35 mph on local roads (in 5th gear) gets phenomenal fuel economy, with the engine warmed up - the MPG gauge (stock, not scangauge) reads easily over 60 mpg while cruising. so I agree - the lowest speed such that you can be in top gear, without lugging your engine will get you the best fuel economy.

I'm not endorsing the following, or admitting that I have ever done this - this is just my opinion: as for coasting in neutral on hills, it will only help you on a hill that is medium grade in steepness - on some hills, at least for MT, you will notice that you will need to step on the gas just a tiny bit, to maintain the same speed - this is when coasting will help you, and there are quite a bit of hills such that coasting in neutral will put you at a steady speed. If you coast when the hill is too steep you will go way too fast, and you should probably stay in gear for those for better control. But I feel that coasting in neutral on a medium-grade hill with a MT car shouldn't be considered dangerous since you can EASILY switch back into gear, as long as you keep your foot on the clutch and hand on the shifter.
30-35 mph in fifth gear rpms are a little low, it was around 40mph was the lowest speed with out lugging in my Fit. You need to get a scan gauge or ultra gauge its a very good tool and you would see that leaving it in gear with the foot of the gas pedal uses no fuel. There is a fuel cutoff and the gearing runs the motor down to about 1200 rpm before the engine needs fuel and even if you down shift to fourth as long as no gas is given. It works in a auto too as long as no gas is given.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 04-24-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
hmmmm I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly - so you're saying that in some cases, leaving it in gear on a downhill will use no fuel due to fuel cut-off... wasn't sure what you were saying about 1200 rpms though

that's pretty interesting - wish I had the $$ to get a scanguage to try it out, but I definitely experienced lots of cases where putting it into neutral on hills gives better fuel economy (according to the mpg meter).. but it's gotta be the correct steepness.... seems like there's quite a bit of friction from the engine spinning at 3000 + rpms such that leaving it in gear actually makes the car want to slow down

Quick Reply: Scan Guage owners... What is the HIGHWAY speed for best MPG?