General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

That crazy blind spot...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Adjust your mirrors out to see the large blind spots, the, add fisheyes to the outer edges so you can see your rear corners.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
This weekend I adjusted my mirrors out like the youtube videos instructed. I ended up with my left mirror way too far out at first, but a little tweaking brought it far enough in that I can literally watch cars move out of my rear view mirror, and into my side view mirrors.

I'm still getting used to the change, and I still find myself looking over my shoulder to double check, but since making the adjustment, I haven't found an unexpected car in my way when I wanted to change lanes.

Thank you so much for the tip. <3

Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by DeathKitten
This weekend I adjusted my mirrors out like the youtube videos instructed. I ended up with my left mirror way too far out at first, but a little tweaking brought it far enough in that I can literally watch cars move out of my rear view mirror, and into my side view mirrors.

I'm still getting used to the change, and I still find myself looking over my shoulder to double check, but since making the adjustment, I haven't found an unexpected car in my way when I wanted to change lanes.

Thank you so much for the tip. <3
Good to hear that someone got it right.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I also added a small round stick on to my driver's side mirror. It really helped. But YES I noticed the blind spot right away!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM
i've never had an issue with blind spots on any car i've driven and i always have the mirrors to where i can just barely see the sides of my car (for backing into parking spots).

maybe some folks sit differently in cars or something? the only issue i have with my fit is the rearview mirror is tiny for a hot wheels car or something. may replace it with something a bit wider.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Gentex 21A autodim 1st class OEM supplier

Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
The only thing I'd like to add as a warning to those (like myself) that for many years have driven with their mirrors adjusted inproperly, is that angling them outward is correct, but be forewarned that it is not only a physical change but also a mental adjustment as well.

I adjusted my mirrors outwards and have found that now in concert with all 3 mirrors I have little to no blind spot, but "perfect" adjustment was difficult, if you don't do it right, you can create a few second blind spot as the vehicle leaves your rearview and appears in your driver sides mirror. You want to make sure that you have it angled so that it appears in your drivers side mirror, simultaneously or even a little before it disappears from you rearview.

And also, once you get it adjusted right, if you have driven for years with your drivers side mirror duplicating in part your rearview view? It will take you a while to get used to re-learning the separate panaramic view.

I found that while adjusting it outwards creates the ability to not have a blind spot, it also means that you need to use your rearview more often, your side view will not be showing you what your mind was "use" to seeing when angled closer to the vehicle.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Mirrors are aids to supplement, not replace, a quick sideways glance to confirm seeing whats' around you. I've found that a twist of the neck can quickly eliminate the blind spots. I remember when those convex side views were introduced. Quickly they put that curious warning on them. Took a while to learn what it meant. I would like a convex mirror on the left as well, but settle for pointing it outwards and the neck twist.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Mirrors are aids to supplement, not replace, a quick sideways glance to confirm seeing whats' around you. I've found that a twist of the neck can quickly eliminate the blind spots.
Here here... KC! I hear 'ya. Blind spots are big pillars and giant head rests or only if you're driving a van (no side windows), pulling a U-haul trailer, panel truck, etc.

Using the rear view and side mirrors (a good start) are improvements in the right direction. Head-swivel is the basic fundamental for good defensive driving habits. People seem to forget, become lazy or were never taught at all. Electronic blind spot sensors promote that even further.

Sorry, old-school and a pet peeve of mine. Tired of too many oopps experiences from people not looking over their shoulders.

I've driven cars with only driver side mirror (old days) and cars with side mirrors mounted on the fenders (Japan) but nothing beats the good old neck-twist. Doesn't take much effort but big payoff. Safe driving everyone!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I forgot about those fender mounted ones. My 64 Riley /elf had 'em and they worked like a charm. Of course the windscreen was was flat and the car under 10'long and there really was no other place to put them and they were only 5" mirrors, but they did work. HA

Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, they were pretty much standard in Japan.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, the Jazz GD1 and the newer Jazz GE models both have mirrors with a curved outer edge like this on my GD1:
2007-09-30_0008.JPG

Is it only the US Fit that is missing this?

The only problem with blindspots I have, is that from the frontview window pillar. They are so big, have to move the head to se behind them...

Old 04-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by F0NIX
Oh, the Jazz GD1 and the newer Jazz GE models both have mirrors with a curved outer edge like this on my GD1:
2007-09-30_0008.JPG

Is it only the US Fit that is missing this?

The only problem with blindspots I have, is that from the frontview window pillar. They are so big, have to move the head to se behind them...
I saw those in the EU. In the US, the left side mirror is flat, the right side is convex, with "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" etched on it.

I got used to not using the twist-around method with the Element. The seat was so low, and the rear window so high (not to mention the compromised view to the rear corners that was even worse with the seats flipped up) that I had to learn to use my mirrors. The Fit has great sightlines in most directions (with the exception of the A-pillars, which blocked my view of pedestrians on occasion). It's easy to be lazy in the Fit - if the mirrors are out of place, whatever, just twist around.

The tC has those thick C-pillars and a higher rear deck, so the mirrors tend to work better most times.

I've long developed a habit of backing out of parking spaces, into spaces, and parallel parking, using mirrors only. The reason: The mirror is higher than my head, so I can see more behind me. The side mirrors (with stick on fisheyes) allow me to see where my rear tires are at all times. I can also keep my peripheral vision on the front end to see where it's swinging... how many parking lot scrapes are due to someone backing out without keeping in mind that the front end will swing out to the side?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Occam
I've long developed a habit of backing out of parking spaces, into spaces, and parallel parking, using mirrors only. The reason: The mirror is higher than my head, so I can see more behind me. The side mirrors (with stick on fisheyes) allow me to see where my rear tires are at all times. I can also keep my peripheral vision on the front end to see where it's swinging... how many parking lot scrapes are due to someone backing out without keeping in mind that the front end will swing out to the side?
Good point Oc. Add to the list those yellow post guides at fast food drive-thru driveways. They don't move like the orange traffic cones. Oftentimes, "driver skill-sets required" are quite more than what drivers think they have. Just keep an eye out for those pedestrians. They're a bit more complex than fixing dents and scrapes...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Good point Oc. Add to the list those yellow post guides at fast food drive-thru driveways. They don't move like the orange traffic cones. Oftentimes, "driver skill-sets required" are quite more than what drivers think they have. Just keep an eye out for those pedestrians. They're a bit more complex than fixing dents and scrapes...
I hate fast food drive-thrus. When I took driving lessons, the guy who took me out for the in car lessons, he made me drive through a McSatan's drive-thru and order him coffee. I'd had very little in car experience at that point, so I was so paranoid of scraping the car.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by DeathKitten
I hate fast food drive-thrus. When I took driving lessons, the guy who took me out for the in car lessons, he made me drive through a McSatan's drive-thru and order him coffee. I'd had very little in car experience at that point, so I was so paranoid of scraping the car.
Dunno what you used for driving lessons. It would be hard to scrape in a drive-thru in the Fit. The car has such a small footprint and such clear sightlines, and tight steering, you can maneuver it like a hoverround. I believe it negatively affected my low-speed driving skills because you don't need to use them. Check the mirrors while parallel parking? Bah, just toss it in reverse and gun it into the space. Judge whether you have space to squeeze between two cars in traffic? Of course you have the space, just whip it in there.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
The driving lessons were years ago, in some big ol' four door sedan that was provided by the driving school. I've done just fine in larger cars since, it's just more than a little intimidating when you're a green horn with almost no in the car experience, being told to go through a drive through.

I really hated that driving instructor, but I later got one that was awesome and taught me useful things... instead of just making me drive and waiting for me to suss things out on my own.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Good add-on

Agreed. El-cheapo insurance! Used to have them on the lower outer corner of my previous Civic's mirrors. Not as bad blind areas, but kept my a** from getting creamed by morons a few times. Always been careful with doing a neck-swivel look-see first! Will be getting pair soon.

Mine option is cheap. Those convex dots are maybe $2 or less at Wal-Mart. Don't like it? Throw it away.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the biggest blindspot on the GD is the A-Pillar. thing is huge, it hid a full sized garbarge truck one time when the road was making a slight left turn.

everything else is fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Check the mirrors while parallel parking? Bah, just toss it in reverse and gun it into the space. Judge whether you have space to squeeze between two cars in traffic? Of course you have the space, just whip it in there.
Disclaimer: Technique not recommended to new drivers.

Quick Reply: That crazy blind spot...