General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

That crazy blind spot...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
That crazy blind spot...

One of the things I was not prepared for is the blind spot on the driver's side of my Fit. I am in the habit of not relying on my mirrors when changing lanes. Sure, first I check there, but then I turn and take a quick look. This habit of turning and looking saves me from accidents a minimum of 3 times per year.

Previous to my Fit purchase, I had a 1999 Subaru... can I say that on here? ha!... which had excellent visibility and zero blind spots. My Fit is forcing me to rely on my mirrors... which don't give me the information I need to negotiate into the left lane 100% of the time. Consequently I've been the subject of several near misses and horn blowing.

I am wanting to know what others have done to solve this visibility problem? Before I make a turn into the left lane that I regret. Is there some appliance or mirror that can be added?

thx.
: )
Mzzchief

Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have added a small round stick on to my driver's side mirror. Helps some.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I was planning on purchasing a wide-view mirror such as the Spoon one at A&J Racing:

A&J Racing :: Interior :: Mirrors :: Spoon Blue Wide Rear View Mirror Lens - Honda Fit 09+ (GE8)

Not sure exactly how well it works, but guess I'll find out soon enough haha.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my Fit two years and have never thought the blind spots were very bad.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Okay, thanks for the ideas!
Blackie, I've seen those round mirrors before, wasn't really sure what they were for. Now I know...thx.
Jeff the mirror you sent a link to, is described at a wide convex rearview mirror. I did not know that was available. thx for a lead in a different direction than the one I was going in, which was to replace or augment the side view mirror.

Mzzchief

Old 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mzzchief
Okay, thanks for the ideas!
Blackie, I've seen those round mirrors before, wasn't really sure what they were for. Now I know...thx.
Jeff the mirror you sent a link to, is described at a wide convex rearview mirror. I did not know that was available. thx for a lead in a different direction than the one I was going in, which was to replace or augment the side view mirror.

Mzzchief
First car eh?

Mine option is cheap. Those convex dots are maybe $2 or less at Wal-Mart. Don't like it? Throw it away.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Will do, black. Cheap, fast and efficient... just my style.
ha!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Hey I see your in Plano--cool beans.

I'm near D-town. Maybe I'll see you around.

Good luck with your blind spot--I've got a broadway mirror myself...works wonders.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I find it humorous that we all have white Fits.
Will check out the broadway mirror, BNezr.

Now at least I have a few options to consider. I hate flying blind!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
There's another trick to eliminate blind spots if you don't mind your side view mirrors not seeing what is directly behind.

Tilt and rest your head against the driver side window. From that view, adjust your mirror outward so that you can only see a little bit of the side of your car. Now lean towards the center line of the car and do the same with the other mirror. If done correctly, you should be able to see cars behind you with your rear view mirror and as they pass on your left(or right) they should smoothly disappear from the rear view mirror and appear on your side views.

It does take getting used to and you should still check your left and right as you never know when someone tries to merge from two lanes over.

note: I haven't tried this in my Fit yet (that I just got yesterday, will post later ), so try it at your own risk. Having driven my Fit the last two days, I did get annoyed at some of the blind spots and know exactly what you're talking about.

Oh and this also makes me another D-town Fit owner finally!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 PM
the FIRST mod I did on my car! (if you can even call it that )
the 'blind-spot' mirrors are about $2.79 @ Kragen AutoParts!

works great for me on the blind spots.
I also rarely have people in the back seats, so I almost always drive with them folded down.
Helps a LOT with visibility and blind spot.
my two cents for what it's worth, cause I know it ain't much ...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
There's another trick to eliminate blind spots if you don't mind your side view mirrors not seeing what is directly behind.

Tilt and rest your head against the driver side window. From that view, adjust your mirror outward so that you can only see a little bit of the side of your car. Now lean towards the center line of the car and do the same with the other mirror. If done correctly, you should be able to see cars behind you with your rear view mirror and as they pass on your left(or right) they should smoothly disappear from the rear view mirror and appear on your side views.

It does take getting used to and you should still check your left and right as you never know when someone tries to merge from two lanes over.
Best advice here so far . . . 99% of the population in this country is taught the incorrect way to aim & use our side mirrors. Aim them farther out, and there's no such thing as a blind spot, on any car.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
I suggest everyone get this... $10 and possible free shipping.

Amazon.com: K Source RM011 18" Clip-on Wide Angle Rearview Mirror: Automotive

Does NOT block visor. Lets you see through rear side windows.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM
No man. You should only be disciplined. lol

Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I've had my Fit two years and have never thought the blind spots were very bad.
I spent the most of the day driving a Tundra with a topper on the back. When I got in the Fit the first thing I thought was, "Oh MAN I can see again!" Thing's so tall a car can hide on the right side and I'd never even see it out the windows. Good thing the side mirrors are the size of small televisions.

Nah I know what the OP is talking about. The front pillars, the rear headrests, the side pillars... I have mastered the art of crane neck fu.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM
WINK JR works great

Old 07-24-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I think the major down fall of most drivers is that the only time they use their mirrors is when they decide they need to change lanes. They have no spatial awareness and you see them everyday on the freeway. They think about changing lanes, start to drift, turn on their blinker, drift further into the lane, decide it's time to look, see a giant 18 wheeler that has been there for the past 10 minutes, they jerk the wheel the opposite way, almost loose control and slam on their brakes causing everyone behind them to do the same. *end of rant*

To avoid all this I use a blind-spot mirror on the driver side, one of the small rectangular shaped, not the usual circle. I noticed I can see the lane next to me and the one next to that, which saves me when the car two lanes over decides it wants to same open space as I do. I also noticed a slight lean forward while checking the passenger side mirror will guarantee no one is on my right side. I always glance over my shoulder anyway, just to be safe.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
What I don't really understand is how you are taught to look around left and/or right to change lanes and literally taking your peripheral sights. Like if you are to change lane/merge right, you are required to look around that direction... what happens now is you are loosing your peripherals head-on and on your left and that IMO, I say that's a recipe for disaster.

If you position rear/left/right mirrors correctly and use those mirrors properly with your peripheral vision. Just a slight peek-tilt-forward to seek visibility on a particular mirror would negate blind spot on that particular side. Doing this IMO is 99.9% safer as you do not lose left/front/right peripheral sights compared to turning your head around and lose left/front or front/right peripherals.

Quote me wrong, but this is just a personal common sense thing to me and driving for 23 years... it has worked great for me.

Those tiny blind spot mirrors work like a charm... don't use them tho.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I knew someone who was a big fan of those spot mirrors - only used one on the passenger's side.

I think Evil nailed it - quote you right, thanks.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
They think about changing lanes, start to drift, turn on their blinker, drift further into the lane, decide it's time to look, see a giant 18 wheeler that has been there for the past 10 minutes, they jerk the wheel the opposite way, almost loose control and slam on their brakes causing everyone behind them to do the same. *end of rant*
That reminds me of this.

Quick Reply: That crazy blind spot...