General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

So Honda can't market a Fit Hybrid in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
So Honda can't market a Fit Hybrid in the USA?

Honda is bringing out a Fit Hybrid everywhere but the US. At least one of your execs says it is because it would fill the same spot as Insight. Here are a couple of points to address that: 1) The Fit is a much more popular car. 2) It is much more functional. Add Hybrid and you only make it more popular. 3)Why is the insight sold elsewhere and you are bringing out the Fit Hybrid makes that comment invalid.
Honda makes so many compromises with the CRZ that it already is a flop before even making it to the showroom. If you would sell the Fit Hybrid in the US, perhaps you could make up for the failures of the Insight and CRZ. Don't you want to sell cars in the US? It shouldn't be that hard to take the subcompact Fit get better mileage than the "midsize" Prius. If so, you might put a dent in the Prius dominance. How long does it take to learn that the major selling point of Prius is mileage. The Fit is more functional and fun. If you can give it better mileage it will hit Prius where it hurts.
First the flop Insight; then the disappointing CRZ. Now not even bringing the Fit Hybrid over. How long do you expect a Honda fanatic to wait. I'm ready to give up on Honda if they don't want to bring the Fit Hybrid over. I guess I will trade my 2007 Fit in on a Toyota Prius like the rest of those who have been continually disappointed by Honda. You have to wonder who you are listening to for your marketing efforts.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I wonder why they don't bring over the Fit with diesel, stripped down and market the car to people who drive long distances to work or for trips. This car has gotta get well over 60 mpg. The VW Polo gets about 75 mpg, or atleast that's what I remember Richard Hammond getting with it on Top Gear. A small turbo on that diesel would be cool too

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Totally agree. I've been wanting a Fit for years, but waited partially because my 1999 Civic is in perfectly good shape and partially because I kept hearing rumors of a Fit Hybrid coming out. Now I read they're doing it everywhere but the US. WTF?

Now I'm going to have to trade in the Civic soon because I need a four door car. I'm still leaning towards the Fit but soooooooooo disappointed that I can't by a hybrid. The decision would be 100% made for me if there was a hybrid available.

WTH Honda? I've never even considered the Insight or CRZ so you aren't overlapping with this consumer.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
My wife and I own a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. We also own a 2010 Toyota Prius. Listen Honda bring this to the U.S. it will sell well. The Prius we own has the package 5 sport option (with supposedly faster steering) and the civic is still my favorite for handling. Bring this Hybrid over and show people how it handles better than the Prius and can haul more at a lower price, while still getting mileage above 40mpg. You've got a cult hit here!!

Read more: Page 2: Honda Jazz (Fit) Hybrid Reportedly Achieves Almost 54 U.S. mpg Combined - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Hybrids in the US haven't been as popular when they don't have distinctive "hybridy" (read Priusy) styling.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Hybrids in the US haven't been as popular when they don't have distinctive "hybridy" (read Priusy) styling.
I know people quote this as a fact, but as you can see our first hybrid looks like its gas counterpart and the only reason we bought the prius is it gets 48.5 mpg consistantly when driven as a normal car, has a hatchback and it had stability controll standard.

I like the fact that I can own a hybrid and be stelthy about it. Look at all the people who buy Volkswagon deisels and they look just like their gas counterparts. Volkswagen hasn't felt the need to build a car that looks any different than their petrol cousins

Old 10-05-2010, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Remember the first version of the Prius in the US looked like a Toyota Corolla.

I put off buying a Fit in 2009, was waiting for a Hybrid version. I almost put off buying one in 2010, expecting the 2011 to be a Hybrid. I would cetainly buy a Hybrid Fit..

I was driving a friends's 2010 Prius the other day.. The Fit has a much sportier feel, but does ride noisier. Prius isn't as much fun to drive and rides like a mid size sedan.
I didn't like the controls on it, but this Prius had a satellite radio interface and a sun roof--I'd like those options on the Fit