General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Has your car insurance rates gone up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Has your car insurance rates gone up?

Just finished my 6 month policy with Progressive and found out my rate is being increased by $42. Since it's been quite awhile since I've had a new car, I can't remember if that is usual or not.

Has your rates increased? I used Progressive's "My Rate" program, which included a device to plug into my car to track certain driving behaviors. I was told the device would not increase my rate but in fact, could lower it. It tracked total mileage per month, braking behavior, and drive times.

I consider myself fairly low-risk since I work very near my home and my monthly mileage is around 600 miles per month. I also do not drive after midnight. The braking was tough at first because my old car's brakes were absolutely shot and it took me some time to adjust to the new brakes. (Quite a few "hard stops" at first!)

I'm going to call Progressive to ask why the rates increased, but I thought I'd ask around to see what others have experienced. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
I have my insurance from The Hartford through AARP and have had no rate increase even after a $2000 road hazard claim and a 16 mile per hour over the limit speeding ticket that I took a defensive driving course on line as a means of not having my rates increase. We both have good driving records that being my first ticket in 27 years and I think she has only had one ticket in her life..... On the Fit her 09 Forester and an old 95 GMC pickup we pay about $1000 annually but have a $1000 deductible.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Keep a lid on the MPH

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have my insurance from The Hartford through AARP and have had no rate increase even after a $2000 road hazard claim and a 16 mile per hour over the limit speeding ticket that I took a defensive driving course on line as a means of not having my rates increase. We both have good driving records that being my first ticket in 27 years and I think she has only had one ticket in her life..... On the Fit her 09 Forester and an old 95 GMC pickup we pay about $1000 annually but have a $1000 deductible.
I could see our insurance if they traced how fast we go "us" as in every driver out here.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
I could see our insurance if they traced how fast we go "us" as in every driver out here.
confused: What did that gizmo say I was doing???? 130 how much Your gizmo must be confused, not my little station wagon

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Asking about insurance rates is like asking someone how much they spend on groceries. There are way too many factors that play into the cost of insurance. Rates can be different between zip codes, let alone counties or states. The best thing you can do is talk to the companies in the area where you live and go with the one you want.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Asking about insurance rates is like asking someone how much they spend on groceries. There are way too many factors that play into the cost of insurance. Rates can be different between zip codes, let alone counties or states. The best thing you can do is talk to the companies in the area where you live and go with the one you want.
She wasn't asking about specific rates... but whether they changed or not.

In terms of "groceries"... it's basically like a hike in prices in Dominick's is probably going to show up in Jewel's too. That people pay more for fresher foods because they live further away from the farm doesn't change that they all get a hike.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive not noticed increases on either of my Fit's... my recent payment was last week for the coming 6months.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. My 6 month insurance increased by $20. When I emailed Geico they claimed it was a market adjustment. It's still cheap, so I kept it.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I pay $90 a month with state farm Full coverage 500 deductible... Also Miami is not known to have "great" drivers probably one of the top three worst in the country. This place is full of idiot drivers

Last edited by Itsslow; 10-13-2010 at 04:07 PM.