General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I'm starting to think gas brand matters

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Chevron all the way for me!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 PM
On a road trip (1000+ miles one way) I had a chance to see if Shell got better economy than what I was using (Diamond Shamrock, now Valero), and sure enough, I did notice an increase in economy, so I switched over to Shell. I have used Shell exclusively for several years now.

I think after I get the Fit, I might try a couple other brands of gas for a couple months at a time each, and see which rates best. Will have to compensate for conditions, though. Larger differences in calculated economy would likely be due to external conditions..

Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
The truth is that all of the gasoline that is distributed in your local area comes from the same source. The additives that each brand puts into the fuel makes little difference in the miles per gallon. Buy fuel that meets the minimum octane required in the owners manual because that is all that is important. To get an accurate indication of milage, you have to calculate an average over several tanks. Also, as the engine wears in the milage will improve.

My 2000 Accord V6 gets the same milage, within a tenth of a mile per gallon, regardless of which brand I buy. Since gasoline has gone above $2.50 per gallon I go to www.gasbuddy.com and find the cheapest regular gas in my area. The car runs the same on the cheapest gas as it does on the expensive branded gas. It's your money, if it makes you feel good to buy a certain brand of gas, then enjoy yourself. Your car really doesn't care. I worked for an oil refining company and that's what their engineers told me at the refinery.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
What is the best alternative of Chevron? No Chevron from where I live.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM
i use shell all the time my gas is fine. there was actually an article i read a couple months back and right now shell has the best gas out there better for your engine. cheveron came in second, 76, in third.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
if u don't have shell, i believe texaco is the alternative name other places

Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 PM
mmm. cheap gas from the air force base for me..what brand? not so sure anyone knows. Maybe ill try and find out. haha

Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 AM
From what I know, not all oil costs the same. It depends on where they buy it. (Middle East, Mexico, etc..) But it's generally really cheap in it's crude form. What causes the cost to rise (besides taxes) is when it's refined. Each state has a different law for what can be, or must be, put in the gas. Some states have more expensive gas simply because their standards are "higher" and require more refining, thus they are more expensive.

This is what I was told when I went to a Refinery for a school trip years ago. Or at least that's what I remember. (My memory is not so great so give me some lee-way...)

If you live in a State with very low gas standards, than you might see the disparity in gas quality more severally than a State with very high standards. That is, certain companies may attempt to save a penny by refining less because they can get away with it. Thus it's cheaper, but not as effective. While other companies may require all their gas meet a certain standard regardless of the State. But if you live in a State with high standards, the gas may be pretty much the same so it doesn't matter where you buy from.

That is my guess. I stress that. MY GUESS. I could be completely wrong.

I wish I knew where Military base gas came from too, Nighthawk. We use it almost exclusively here at Misawa since it tends to be cheaper than gas off base.

Last edited by draw2much; 04-20-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
only shell for me.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
There is a difference...cheap gas can ruin your car over time.
I typically use Chevron or sometimes Mobil.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by draw2much
If you live in a State with very low gas standards, than you might see the disparity in gas quality more severally than a State with very high standards. That is, certain companies may attempt to save a penny by refining less because they can get away with it. Thus it's cheaper, but not as effective. While other companies may require all their gas meet a certain standard regardless of the State. But if you live in a State with high standards, the gas may be pretty much the same so it doesn't matter where you buy from.
I don't think that is necessarily true. Gas varies within state. From what I've noticed, I get better millage based on the type of Crude used. Not all crude are designed equally.

I seem to always get better millage when there is a glut on West Texas Crude, and also when I'm driving through Navajo country.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Usually get Shell or Chevron, good gas at decent prices. Ever since I switched to the fit I never search for the cheapest gas anymore. I love good gas milage.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I was using conoco for long time and recently started reading about brands and how shell was one of the better ones so i went and put a full tank of 91 shell. my car felt sluggish, almost like i had 3 other people with me in the car, i think i read something about some engines not handling higher octanes well and there being a ignition delay or something, which would make sense with the whole sluggish feeling.

so midway through that tank i put in 87, so i had half 91 and half 87, which would give me a tank of 89. and it ran great, got the best mileage to date with my aggressive driving, 39.

so i went ahead and put another full tank of 89 and im keeping an eye on it, if i get good mileage again i may be a reformed SHELL 89 fitter.

up to this point i was getting 36 to hight 37s with 87 octane.

I know the thread was about brands, Im having really a really positive response to the SHELL coming from conoco

Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
What is the best alternative of Chevron? No Chevron from where I live.
Texaco. Texaco is now a brand of Chevron, and now has Techron. In short Texaco = Chevron.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Gasoline is "fungible". When "Petroco" ships a load up the pipeline, they put a load in and take a load out. They don't get the same product out that they put in. The only difference is the additives.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Texaco. Texaco is now a brand of Chevron, and now has Techron. In short Texaco = Chevron.
Thanks man, I will be on the look out for Texaco from now on.

I wonder how is Sunoco gas compared to Chevron?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
i was told by a friend arco was just as good as other companys gas n the only reason it was cheaper was because they didnt have talking cars or i mean less advertising and i thought about it they really dont but so not really sure of rather u get what u pay for applies to that situation

Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Sunoco is good gas. Wasn't always true, but it is now.

I run Shell, Exxon, Sunoco. I do that for the detergents and other additives, not so much for differences in mileage.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
After reading an article or two on this subject I think this is all that matters to me.

"Six of the world’s top automakers. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi have set their own minimum gasoline standards to help their engines run with low emissions and good economy by minimizing engine deposits. They call it Top Tier gasoline and it is a voluntary standard for enhanced detergency with no metallic additives. It sets new, voluntary deposit control standards that not all fuel suppliers have met. In Canada, Chevron was the first to meet the standards nationally in 2004, followed by Shell and PetroCanada. In some locations, Sunoco also meets the Top Tier standards for fuel quality."

Source: CanadianDriver Auto Tech Auto Tech: Gasoline

I personally usually use Chevron and occasionally Shell.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scaldy
After reading an article or two on this subject I think this is all that matters to me.

"Six of the world’s top automakers. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi have set their own minimum gasoline standards to help their engines run with low emissions and good economy by minimizing engine deposits. They call it Top Tier gasoline and it is a voluntary standard for enhanced detergency with no metallic additives. It sets new, voluntary deposit control standards that not all fuel suppliers have met. In Canada, Chevron was the first to meet the standards nationally in 2004, followed by Shell and PetroCanada. In some locations, Sunoco also meets the Top Tier standards for fuel quality."

Source: CanadianDriver Auto Tech Auto Tech: Gasoline

I personally usually use Chevron and occasionally Shell.
Here's the whole list. Top Tier Gasoline

Quick Reply: I'm starting to think gas brand matters